Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Just now, kingkisnorbo said:

Villa should give Smith the boot now I reckon. He’s spent a lorry load since they’ve come up and done nish with it. I think a better coach gets them in and around Europe. 

then they should keep him…..just like yanited should keep ole and arsenal should keep arteta and Spurs should keep nuno ……

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Villa should give Smith the boot now I reckon. He’s spent a lorry load since they’ve come up and done nish with it. I think a better coach gets them in and around Europe. 

You were definitely one of the individuals calling for Brendan to be sacked a few weeks ago weren’t you.

Did football fans always used to be this kneejerk? I’m sure it’s getting worse.

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I’m a bit confused about the rebound there. It looked like Pawson signalled for halftime - the break in play, then went over to the monitor, checked and awarded the penalty. 
So surely as soon as the penalty is taken, it should be half time. Keeper saved it, there should have been no playing time for the rebounds fo be knocked in.

3 hours ago, burbage12 said:

Surely once the penalty is taken and saved the ref should blow for half time:cool:

Just to clear this up apparently the ref stopped play when the ball went “dead” (no advantage to either team) 1:52 into a minimum of 2 mins added on, he didn’t blow for half time at that point, penalty is taken with at least 8 seconds on the clock so rebound was allowed. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

You were definitely one of the individuals calling for Brendan to be sacked a few weeks ago weren’t you.

Did football fans always used to be this kneejerk? I’m sure it’s getting worse.

I wasn’t, actually. Rodgers has proven that he can achieve with this squad what it is capable of. 

Dean Smith has spent a shed load of money on really good players, and isn’t using them properly. Take tonight for instance, he has Buendia and Leon Bailey, two wide players, but decides to play wing backs and play Buendia at CM. That’s all you need to know. 

Also, I have a number of friends who are villa fans who have said that he has taken them as far as they can go. I think it’s pretty evident that things won’t improve under him. I was simply stating that a better coach will unlock that teams potential, something we now have proof that he won’t. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I just don’t think their squad is that good to be honest, can’t see many managers capable of getting them in or around European places come the end of the season. 

I’ll probably get heat for this but I think at least half of there starting eleven would start for us. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I’ll probably get heat for this but I think at least half of there starting eleven would start for us. 

At least half? So like 6 or 7 of their starting eleven replace ours? 

We finished 5th last season and they finished 8th. 

They are a decent side, but if our players play to their full potential there really wouldn't be many of their players starting for us. 

4 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I’m not saying that they are in any way better than players we have, I just think they would function well in our system and set up. Probably McGinn, Buendia, Konsa, Ings maybe. I like Matty Cash too, think he looks really good. 

This isn’t really the point I was making, more that a better coach than Smith would get better output from the squad that they have. That’s all.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I wasn’t, actually. Rodgers has proven that he can achieve with this squad what it is capable of. 

Dean Smith has spent a shed load of money on really good players, and isn’t using them properly. Take tonight for instance, he has Buendia and Leon Bailey, two wide players, but decides to play wing backs and play Buendia at CM. That’s all you need to know. 

Also, I have a number of friends who are villa fans who have said that he has taken them as far as they can go. I think it’s pretty evident that things won’t improve under him. I was simply stating that a better coach will unlock that teams potential, something we now have proof that he won’t. 

Look Football fans on forums, cant tell the diference between Marmelade & Jam...

So its useless  bringing in Opposition fans thoughts on their own club, to make or confirm your point....

They are just as daft as FT...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Give your head a wobble mate,

The blokes family received death threats from so called football fans. He entered an arena where the fans viciously hated him, for no real apparent reason.

Yea, as a manager he’s limited but he’s been in the game a long time, he was a well respected player and is by all accounts is a nice bloke. But to attack him in the way he has been is disgusting, I know we’ve been anti managers at times and it will always happen, but I’d like to think none of us started hurling personal insults at them and threatening their family.

Its one of the many reasons why I’d like Newcastle to fail, the sheer level of arrogance that’s washed over them in a 24 hour period is laughable. 

Bruce may not be a great manager, but he’s a person, and I feel sorry for him.

I'm not defending deaththreats. But come on the fans had every right to hate what Bruce had done. People lazily point at some idiotic stat between him and Raffa and say, they're the same. While missing EVERYTHING ELSE that those fans watched week in week out. They saw him slowly break the team Raffa had built (who had WAAAAAAAY less money and brought them up), would constantly watch every Saturday as he pushed out a team with no plan. Lose massively (yeah the stat that the pundits seem to ignore when comparing Raffa and Bruce).Then make some of the dumbest post match interviews. And any push back would be met by snide remarks. Pardew had a FAR better stat ratio than Bruce. PARDEW! He is not a PL manager. 

Yes he is a person but sorry he got paid a LOT of money to take the weight of that club on his shoulders in the Premier League. This is big boy stuff. He failed. He entirely failed. He should NEVER have taken the job and once he knew he was out of his depth he should have stepped down. THAT'S on him. He's not some victim with zero agency like everybody seems to want to make out. All the pundits talking him up are his mates. The reporting on it has been appalling and lazy. And now they're blaming the fans... it's a joke. If that was us we'd be fuming. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The introduction of VAR has created a culture of micro-analysis of decisions that's totally against the spirit of the game. You will never achieve consistency, even with video referees. They therefore should just bin it as it will never achieve its desired outcome - whilst it will almost certainly damage the spectacle.

Agreed - but unfortunately it's here to stay.

What i wish they'd do is keep the 'VA' part and sack off the VAReferee entirely - leave all the decisions with the on field ref/linesmen and just have a tech guy handling the footage. Make the ref look at his monitor and don't draw any offside lines or anything like that - if they can't discern it from that then benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker.

Basically, stop trying to get tech to overcomplicate it and instead turn VAR into a facility for the referee to potentially correct their own mistakes and nothing more.

Alternatively, go the COMPLETE opposite direction and make offside calls a fully automatic detection based on the GPS that the players are already wearing. Get rid of any possible debate, same as we use for goal line tech. Won't work for fouls though obviously, but it'd be better than nothing.

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

Agreed - but unfortunately it's here to stay.

What i wish they'd do is keep the 'VA' part and sack off the VAReferee entirely - leave all the decisions with the on field ref/linesmen and just have a tech guy handling the footage. Make the ref look at his monitor and don't draw any offside lines or anything like that - if they can't discern it from that then benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker.

Basically, stop trying to get tech to overcomplicate it and instead turn VAR into a facility for the referee to potentially correct their own mistakes and nothing more.

Alternatively, go the COMPLETE opposite direction and make offside calls a fully automatic detection based on the GPS that the players are already wearing. Get rid of any possible debate, same as we use for goal line tech. Won't work for fouls though obviously, but it'd be better than nothing.

Are GPS trackers accurate to the necessary degree?

I've used them when hiking and even the best are only accurate within metres.

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

stop trying to get tech to overcomplicate it

This is what's confused me about the whole business. It should be easier. I feel they've dialed in the "narrowness" of the off-side decisions better this season (still not perfect). But it should be entirely tech driven with the tech guy basically pinpointing the defenders line (not actually draw the line) and then the software does the rest. And then for on pitch decisions give the ref(s) a tablet strapped to their chest with a fourth ref (watching on a monitor) who will highlight something the on pitch ref might miss. The tech guy throws the footage at the tablet and the ref can just quickly scrub through. But ultimately it's about all these refs communicating, no egos, as a team themselves. The culture though doesn't feel right.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Buce said:

I know the GPS I've used when running isn't nearly as accurate as it'd need to be for something like that, although - from looking at tracking in cricket, tennis and the position maps available in football - I'd presume that it'd be possible with some in-stadium hawkeye-type setup to triangulate players at a much more accurate level that would be satisfactory for this purpose. 

Although I'd agree that this would be the less preferable solution - just take it back to basics and make it as unreliant on tech as possible. Which would have the added bonus of being more accessible to lower levels of the football league and the domestic cups.

48 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

This is what's confused me about the whole business. It should be easier. I feel they've dialed in the "narrowness" of the off-side decisions better this season (still not perfect). But it should be entirely tech driven with the tech guy basically pinpointing the defenders line (not actually draw the line) and then the software does the rest. And then for on pitch decisions give the ref(s) a tablet strapped to their chest with a fourth ref (watching on a monitor) who will highlight something the on pitch ref might miss. The tech guy throws the footage at the tablet and the ref can just quickly scrub through. But ultimately it's about all these refs communicating, no egos, as a team themselves. The culture though doesn't feel right.

I'd love it if we mic'd up refs and made that publicly available - like they do in rugby and a great example I'd seen from the A-league - during broadcasted games. Make it more transparent for the fans and let us see exactly what their thought processes are. It'll go one of two ways - either give us far more sympathy for the difficult job they have OR highlight their inadequacies and hopefully drive some sort of change.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I've often wondered about their use in football (though not for something like VAR) I've used a GPS for years in cycling and realise they are not exact, and neither can you expect them to be - too many variables. I'd guess the ones footballers use are considerably more sophisticated (read, expensive) and certainly more state of the art than mine.

I decided though that it was good enough for my purposes and, more importantly, consistently inaccurate - if that makes sense, and you maybe have to read those words 'consistently inaccurate' a few times to get the nuance - to compare results. That is to say that I am comparing like for like, the same device used to record each time. The results of each session may not be 100% accurate (however one determines that) but it's the comparisons between sessions that interests me - so long as each session is recorded in the same manner than the comparisons are valid enough.

For judgements of the millimeter required exactitude, comparing one device against another  (e.g. player's GPS against VAR derived offside line location) then, no, not a chance in hell can you make a fair call. 

9 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Please stop this nonsense about defending Bruce he is a bang championship average manager. Having Pep and Klopp coming out and defending him. Complete nonsense. Very easy to defend a manager when you pick 6 points up over a season against him. 

He put himself on the Front page,by taking the job, & despite the Ashley Story in the background,

Bruce has had a decent group of players available.I reckon without B.Room & Management shananagans,hes a decent PL manager.

Also One Wonders how the Internal-affairs played heavy upon the squads game mentality.

I reckon some/ most of those players you could Tweek into/ across a Top 4-10 side, and they would fit.

Its Simply life's luck of the Draw...Newcastle,Sunderland & even Leeds, have flattered to deceive, also with  Good managers ...

Owners can make & break a Football clubs periods of history...

Though L'pool & Manutd spite theirs, arent doing too badly...Whereas Chelsea & Man.city, have had so much money, One cant truely assess..!

Where Spurs, n Arsenal, have in These last 6 years have lost their Top 6 gloss, But not their potential, because of theirs..

Edited by fuchsntf

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Did I just hear that right on BT Sport? 

The side at the bottom of the table have never won away against the side at the top of the league?! 

Nah, I'm sure its happened a few times.