Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

16 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

The racism as I see it here is with the journalist who has written this. It’s actually shocking, he’s pretty much saying all Arabic people look the same. From a cartoon we can easily tell who the white man is here, but that generic Arabic looking man not a clue, they all look the same to me.

I can not believe no one has pulled them up on it in this day and age.

It is clear who both people are supposed to be in that picture, why does the report have trouble working out who the Arabic man is?

Arab here. Can confirm that we all look alike except for those from the Levant region, who look like Europeans.

14 hours ago, Foxxed said:

So do we prefer United to Chelsea and Man City? I’ve been asking myself this a lot. I grew up to hate United. But at least United earned their success. 

Ah that would be the same club that refused to play in the F.A cup then ,because they thought they were to big for it? The first an only club to do such a thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

They did not earn it, they were merely first to the well. This is why I have some sympathy with the approach taken by Manchester City, Chelsea, etc, as new clubs are always playing catch up due to Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc benefitting from pre Premier League success.

I dunno. United achieved it as a club rather than a billionaire making a decision for them in return for PR and I respect that a little more.

6 hours ago, Koke said:

A lot of my in laws are Chelsea fans. So of all the big clubs, I prefer them. I'm aware of how they became this huge club, but when I'm watching a title race that we aren't involved in I root for Chelsea. 

I've decided I hate Chelsea more than United. It's something to do with their fans, the fact I have to see Kante in their kit and big daddy billionaire bought them their success in return for PR.

14 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

What exactly is that supposed to mean?  

Manchester United were the first club to really become a global corporation rather than a football club and to cynically manipulate any commercial advantage they had to buy success. It's probably because of Manchester United that the only way to compete was through takeovers by billionaire owners. 

They were one of the driving forces for the creation of the Premier League and the ring  fencing of commercial revenue. As Martin Edwards, their former CE, was quoted as saying: "The smaller clubs are bleeding the game dry. For the sake of the game, they should be put to sleep" 

Yeah I'm not doubting they're bastards now, and you make a good point about turning into a global corporation and the rest of league playing catch-up, but I still respect what they did more than the clubs who were bought trophies in return for "sports washing".

Obviously hating clubs that were bought for billionaires puts me in a tricky situation but whatever.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I dunno. United achieved it as a club rather than a billionaire making a decision for them in return for PR and I respect that a little more.

I've decided I hate Chelsea more than United. It's something to do with their fans, the fact I have to see Kante in their kit and big daddy billionaire bought them their success in return for PR.

Yeah I'm not doubting they're bastards now, and you make a good point about turning into a global corporation and the rest of league playing catch-up, but I still respect what they did more than the clubs who were bought trophies in return for "sports washing".

Obviously hating clubs that were bought for billionaires puts me in a tricky situation but whatever.

The Glazers are (secretive) billionaires with business practices at least as dodgy as those in control at Man City. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/07/glazers-manchester-united-fortunes-wane

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/may/03/manchester-united-fans-glazer-family-club-debt-premier-league

Edited by Jobyfox

De gea

Dalot? Skriniar varane Maguire shaw

Ndidi

Fernandes pogba 

Ronaldo cavani 

Can’t be far off what Conte would go for?

3 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Would like Man U to beat Spurs this weekend now to keep Ole at the wheel

absolutely this! or at least a draw and then a win away at Atalanta. 

Lots of talk that Fergie won't allow him to be sacked. Feels it is the same as what happened when he took over and was nearly sacked. 

Of the big 6 I don’t hate man city as much as the others. That’s not to say I don’t want them to do badly, I guess I just always saw them as a proper club before.

They just hit the owner jackpot.  The fans from before were good people who resisted all the urges to support the best side in the area (and the country) 

weirdly my step Mum was/is a man city fan but for some reason the money has put her off of them as in a way they lost their club. She prefers Leicester to do well then them these days 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

What exactly is that supposed to mean?  

Manchester United were the first club to really become a global corporation rather than a football club and to cynically manipulate any commercial advantage they had to buy success. It's probably because of Manchester United that the only way to compete was through takeovers by billionaire owners. 

They were one of the driving forces for the creation of the Premier League and the ring  fencing of commercial revenue. As Martin Edwards, their former CE, was quoted as saying: "The smaller clubs are bleeding the game dry. For the sake of the game, they should be put to sleep" 

I can't help feeling that, as appalling as it was in the immediate short term, the Munich Air disaster gave a fillip to Man U by virtue of the huge wave of sympathy in the national press, which then seemed to continue unabated. They became known worldwide.  Since then the media has revered them as "something special", which I believe has aided them in worldwide shirt sales and support, well in advance of other teams.  Even in the 60s they were able to attract and sign players of international standard such as Law and Crerand, the same sort of ethos as signing established internationals in current times.

Dare I say it - the only team who genuinely built on their success in the league, initially in England and then in Europe, were Liverpool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

I can't help feeling that, as appalling as it was in the immediate short term, the Munich Air disaster gave a fillip to Man U by virtue of the huge wave of sympathy in the national press, which then seemed to continue unabated. They became known worldwide.  Since then the media has revered them as "something special", which I believe has aided them in worldwide shirt sales and support, well in advance of other teams.  Even in the 60s they were able to attract and sign players of international standard such as Law and Crerand, the same sort of ethos as signing established internationals in current times.

Dare I say it - the only team who genuinely built on their success in the league, initially in England and then in Europe, were Liverpool.

That team and manager was pretty big before the disaster. It would have boosted their profile and recognition but I feel we can't confuse Pre-Premier League and Post-Premier League. Look back through the 80s, 70s etc league positions it's much less money dominated. Where you have random clubs in the top 5. I always feel itchy when discussing who "genuinely built on their success", even Liverpool because they needed that injection of external cash to dig themselves out. Then I wonder why teams like Leeds and Forrest just got left behind. 

2 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

And their assumption of control of the club can be traced directly back to the great “ Sir” Fergusonand his greed and duplicity with those dodgy horse owning paddies . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Yeah, I'm not saying they're good now. Just that in the 90s their success came from within the club rather than from an outside billionaire buying trophies.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Brentford's keeper out for 4 months after picking up an injury against us ? 

Can't remember anything that may have caused this ?? 

Strained his back picking the ball out of the net.

Doesn't he kick beautifully though.....

On a serious note that clash with perez looked nasty. Wonder how perez is after it, didn't look like he was training today.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

14 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Probably on obscene wages. Arsenal do that. 

If nobody with bags of money comes in for him and they’re after some cash, they’ll end up paying a portion of his wages for the rest of his contract with them. Could be a great signing for us.

14 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

If nobody with bags of money comes in for him and they’re after some cash, they’ll end up paying a portion of his wages for the rest of his contract with them. Could be a great signing for us.

Okay. Thanks for the negotiation. I’ll do that deal. Get the papers prepared and sent across for agreement. Probably best not to fax. 

• Haha 1