Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

On 28/10/2021 at 11:39, AjcW said:

Burnley have won one game in all competitions this season... against Rochdale. Actually stretches back to last season where they lost their last three, 4-0, 3-0 and 1-0

Spent £30m this summer which is decent by their standards, no heat on Dyche seemingly though.

Wonder if he would stay and be relegated with them or he might just walk away? 

Don't look like they've got a hope this year to be honest, even with a bit of added flair from Cornet. 

Not sure how i'd feel if I was their fans, of course it's nuts that he has kept them in the league for this long, but at the cost of ANY entertainment whatsoever. Do they get any pleasure from their season tickets? Would they rather be back in the Championship with the thrill of trying to get promotion?

Had a look on twitter and they really do seem fed up, comments like 'we don't even look organised anymore' which would be the number one thing you'd expect from them.

They're going through a rough spell (like the beginning of most of their seasons) so fans moaning isn't a surprise. How fans enjoy the game they're watching and how their team is playing is different. Leeds got a LOT of love last season (and even this season when losing) for "entertaining" football but that's not some metric in good football or how to support and enjoy your team. They're the underdog. So playing football that stifles, frustrates, solid defending, and the ability to create goals (even from set pieces) is a big thing. To do it over repeated seasons in the PL is massive. So no they wouldn't rather be in the Championship. 

What it feels like you're asking is why be in the PL if you've little chance of ever winning something. But we can ask that question of 80%+ of the league. The next question is would you rather be Norwich? Having to sit and watch your team get battered for a season in the knowledge that next season you'll probably win most of your games and get promoted. 

Oh and FT is full of OTT biased yadda yadda lol 

Edited by Hoopla10

2 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

They're going through a rough spell (like the beginning of most of their seasons) so fans moaning isn't a surprise. How fans enjoy the game they're watching and how their team is playing is different. Leeds got a LOT of love last season (and even this season when losing) for "entertaining" football but that's not some metric in good football or how to support and enjoy your team. They're the underdog. So playing football that stifles, frustrates, solid defending, and the ability to create goals (even from set pieces) is a big thing. To do it over repeated seasons in the PL is massive. So no they wouldn't rather be in the Championship. 

What it feels like you're asking is why be in the PL if you've little chance of ever winning something. But we can ask that question of 80%+ of the league. The next question is would you rather be Norwich? Having to sit and watch your team get battered for a season in the knowledge that next season you'll probably win most of your games and get promoted. 

Oh and FT is full of OTT biased yadda yadda lol 

Yeah was genuinely interested in peoples opinions to be fair, hence the post.

This is a good one :)

I really enjoy watching Atletico Madrid... they're certainly not entertainers but my god some of their defending is incredible..... i'm just not sure Burnley fans even get that level of satisfaction like you mentioned.

But yes i'd much rather be them than Norwich lol 

• Like 1

If I was one of those window fitters that owned Yanited I'd boot Ole Ole ! out straight away and get Conte in immediately  ...  maybe there are better but he is available now and I'd give him to the end of the season to prove he's the right man for the job with a huge bonus to finish top 4. Then I'd drop Pogba and Ronaldo with immediate effect and sell them both in the next window ...  one is totally toxic and the other is a prima donna that just doesn't fit in and does more harm than good.   Sorted ! ..  :thumbup:

(But hopefully they'll keep the little hobbit in the job cus he's nice and fluffy and everyone likes him and that will help us finish above them !).

5 hours ago, don_danbury said:

im confused, why is maguire so hated around here? 80m and he gave an extra year when utd went for him after the WC. 

Well said sir. I don't know why Maguire is hated, likewise Chilwell & Gray. All I know is that our team would be even better if those 3 were still here. Amazing that they all gave us decent service yet get dog's abuse whereas Kante, who couldn't get away fast enough & wouldn't even stay for a Champions League campaign, will probably get a rousing round of applause  on November 20th.

Nowt so queer as folk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, don_danbury said:

im confused, why is maguire so hated around here? 80m and he gave an extra year when utd went for him after the WC. 

7 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Well said sir. I don't know why Maguire is hated, likewise Chilwell & Gray. All I know is that our team would be even better if those 3 were still here. Amazing that they all gave us decent service yet get dog's abuse whereas Kante, who couldn't get away fast enough & wouldn't even stay for a Champions League campaign, will probably get a rousing round of applause  on November 20th.

Nowt so queer as folk

Did you not see how he acted when he left?

It was as if he was on holiday. Picture here, picture there. "Oh look here's Eric Cantona on the wall". Chill out mate, we know you've got the move.

33 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Must be one of the least inspiring captains I can think of.

He's never been a leader. I don't know why united thought he was going to come in and take charge of their defence. He needs that bloke next to him. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 2

Never thought he was as good as hyped up to be, I remember him looking very ordinary away at Huddersfield. Not bothered by him one way or the other, but he does seem to be one of those players who is allowed more excuses than others because of his reputation - something any avid reader of my posts will know is a bugbear of mine.

Couldn't stand him as our player and can't stand him now. 

Always makes me laugh when people say he gave good service too. He was here for 2 mediocre years and left at the first opportunity.

Watched the whole of Premier League Years 2018/19 earlier and every time they bothered to show us he seemed to be at fault for a goal.

Edited by Rain King
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Couldn't stand him as our player and can't stand him now. 

Always makes me laugh when people say he gave good service too. He was here for 2 mediocre years and left at the first opportunity.

Watched the whole of Premier League Years 2018/19 earlier and every time they bothered to show us he seemed to be at fault for a goal.

Agreed. We all seem to have re-written history somewhat when it comes to his tenure here because of the size of the move he got. 

Bloke was a serviceable mid table defender at best. We have better. 

I feel slightly sorry for him tbh. He, his team mates and everyone knows he's above his level. I'd hate that kind of pressure. I wouldn't mind the bank balance though. I'm just glad we pocketed the money when we could.

55 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Did you not see how he acted when he left?

It was as if he was on holiday. Picture here, picture there. "Oh look here's Eric Cantona on the wall". Chill out mate, we know you've got the move.

But by all accounts he conducted himself well whilst he was here. No stories of him not turning upto training or throwing his toys out of the pram when the club were holding out for a mammoth fee. I can't blame him for being excited and pandering to Man United fans after joining them. We have all been wanking ourselves into a coma when we see Patson Daka reading books about Leicester and talking about how honoured he is to be here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Apart from not turning up to training in his last week due to an alleged stomach bug.

Alleged stomach bug...Theres Another fish biting..

Why One Way thoughts...

Maybe the Club told him to Stay away...even if true..so fking what..!!

every Single story, is taken differently by the reader...

in 65+ years,even as a child, & more so now, any Media Noise & clickbait, I have Never understand fans, Jumping onto this noise according to how

their own Agendas fit.. They Feed the style of the media, who they Shout they hate,by doing exactly the same shit..

In These/my own 68+ years, I find it easy to ignore 'Eastenders style Off field/track/Stadium cynical reporting..99% are Made up lies..!!

Its become pathetic,  with fans drowning in their own culpability...

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Alleged stomach bug...Theres Another fish biting..

Why One Way thoughts...

Maybe the Club told him to Stay away...even if true..so fking what..!!

every Single story, is taken differently by the reader...

in 65+ years,even as a child, & more so now, any Media Noise & clickbait, I have Never understand fans, Jumping onto this noise according to how

their own Agendas fit.. They Feed the style of the media, who they Shout they hate,by doing exactly the same shit..

In These/my own 68+ years, I find it easy to ignore 'Eastenders style Off field/track/Stadium cynical reporting..99% are Made up lies..!!

Its become pathetic,  with fans drowning in their own culpability...

Agree with sentiment mate. 

Maguire was no higher than our 3rd best defender. 

He made glaring errors here, usually by trying to play in midfield.

No one likes Man Utd here and we absolutely rinsed them🤣🤣.

And now he's crap on a bigger stage and it's funny for Leicester fans who had predicted he would be!!

In the right system Maguire is a quality player on the ball but he's vulnerable to being exposed and he's not athletic enough or got the reading of the game like Evans to drag his teams over the line. The price tag wasn't his fault but we played an absolute blinder, he'd had a fairly mediocre season for us as well when we got the £80m + an extra £5m in add ons.

• Like 2

On another note, with all the talk of Solskjaer being in last chance saloon. Is there any other club in the Premier League that would take him?

I find it fascinating, because usually when a manager who is at a top club and loses their job, you think they could have success elsewhere- see Moyes and Rodgers for example.

However, with Solskjaer I just can’t see another club, even a Norwich at the bottom, thinking he is a good option.

Nuno Espirito Santo - 'I wish all players were equally committed, when you are committed, you understand better some decisions. Players have to go beyond and change the opinion and idea of the manager. That is how it works in this industry. Unfortunately, it's not what is always happening.'

Santo having a public pop at his fringe players at Spurs. If this was directed in part at Dele Alli, then he won't be the first manager to question the player. Most people can understand a player getting hacked off with Mourinho, he tended to really single out players, but when other managers hint about a players commitment too, then it would appear that there is an ongoing problem.  Nuno didn't name Alli, but his comments were in reply to a question about those left out of his cup team.

I'm not particularly a fan of Alli (his face irrationally annoys me) but he looked a very good player when he first landed at Spurs. If he isn't careful, what's left of his career will disappear up his own arse (and quickly).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, don_danbury said:

It’s a funny one really, I don’t “hate” Maguire but equally I don’t feel any kind of connection to him to feel positive about him either. He used us as a stepping stone (which is fine), but he didn’t achieve any real level of success, we developed him into an England international and then allowed him to leave for significant profit. I might be wrong but I think the main reason for the stick he gets is for the stepping stone bit and not achieving any success here. Unlike our Prem & FA Cup winners, I think most would be a lot more positive about those players if they were looking for the next step because they’ve achieved something here, aka Youri.