Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

8 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Spending £300m to win the League Cup sounds very Spurs lol

I dunno, Conte is a pretty good manager, but it's taking a giant leap of faith to believe he can outdo what Poch did there. It's a minor miracle he finished 2nd and 3rd whilst reaching a Champions League final. Spurs aren't minnows, in the traditional sense, but they're miles behind the proper big boys. 

In fairness, even a League Cup could/would/should (not sure which) be considered success at Tottenham, but if that's all Conte achieved after spending a bucket load, I don't imagine he'd last long. His remit has to be top 4, surely. They are capable of that, but there's a few other hungry teams vying for that spot (and Man U).

Agree with your bit in bold, Spurs are (or were) essentially a well managed Everton or Newcastle for a 10 year period.

21 hours ago, rachhere said:

I am really not in the slightest bit convinced that the new Newcastle owners know what they are doing. 

57 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Appears Emery backed off Newcastle now. Concerns of the infrastructure behind the scenes 

Concerns they lack clear vision. Which translates into they don't know what they're doing. 

• Like 4

I honestly think its going to happen. I really think they should have stuck with Steve Bruce until the end of the season and then had a reset. I know they haven't had the best start to the season with him, but its understandable he wasn't completely focused on the job and the players were unsettled. Any sense of whether their fanbase is starting to think that maybe all of this isn't quite as good as they first anticipated?

Oops, meant to quote @Fox92there! 

Edited by rachhere
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I honestly think its going to happen. I really think they should have stuck with Steve Bruce until the end of the season and then had a reset. I know they haven't had the best start to the season with him, but its understandable he wasn't completely focused on the job and the players were unsettled. Any sense of whether their fanbase is starting to think that maybe all of this isn't quite as good as they first anticipated?

Oops, meant to quote @Fox92there! 

I just don't think it was feasible to stay with Bruce tbh. I suspect a lot of the secondary excitement at the takeover was going to be that he'd be sacked as a result of Ashley going. Keeping him on till the end of the season would've just damaged the reputation of the new owners as the season went on, especially if they carried on being shit with the old "nothing has changed" mantra.

I've not read any forums or opinions, but the new blind loyalty will keep most on side no matter what happens. That being said, if Howe (assuming he arrives) doesn't get off to a hot start, and the January window is underwhelming, there might be grumbles.

The summer will be the true test of whether they know what they're doing. I expect loans aplenty on Jan and then they'll go crazy this summer if they stay up.

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I just don't think it was feasible to stay with Bruce tbh. I suspect a lot of the secondary excitement at the takeover was going to be that he'd be sacked as a result of Ashley going. Keeping him on till the end of the season would've just damaged the reputation of the new owners as the season went on, especially if they carried on being shit with the old "nothing has changed" mantra.

I've not read any forums or opinions, but the new blind loyalty will keep most on side no matter what happens. That being said, if Howe (assuming he arrives) doesn't get off to a hot start, and the January window is underwhelming, there might be grumbles.

The summer will be the true test of whether they know what they're doing. I expect loans aplenty on Jan and then they'll go crazy this summer if they stay up.

I could understand that if the players weren't behind him, but it seems they were. Its all about the communication isn't it. I would have come out and said that I was looking to build something long term and would be using the next few months to make careful decisions about the future. Implicit in that would be that he would be going in time, but that some stability would be needed at first. 

7 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Another Spurs in the summer type situation?

Everyone will want the job in the summer if they stay up - not now .

That's it. You don't want to be the first managerial appointment of this Newcastle ownership, you'd want to be the second or possibly third. 

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I think Pellegrini should be Newcastle's target (not that I expect their new owners to realise this). He's got experience of managing big spending clubs, and can cope with the big star egos. More importantly, he's at an age where he probably isn't bothered about being the scapegoat/fall guy if things remain bad and the team is relegated. He'll bank his 10 million  and say adios as he retires to sunnier climes.

Edited by SkidsFox

3 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Pellegrini should be Newcastle's target (not that I expect their new owners to realise this). He's got experience of managing big spending clubs, and can cope with the big star egos. More importantly, he's at an age where he probably isn't bothered about being the scapegoat/fall guy if things remain bad and the team is relegated. He'll bank his 10 million  and say adios as he retires to sunnier climes.

I definitely would not want him managing us in a relegation battle. I'm all for him taking them down though.

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 1

Yeah. Like it or not they need a Pulis, a Hodgson or Allardyce. 

Howe is a more sensible choice than Emery. If he's smart, he'll take it with a couple of clauses - bonus on staying up (because if he does he'll be chucked in favour of someone sexy) and a "allowance for relegation" so he can stay if/when they go down.

1 minute ago, fox_up_north said:

Yeah. Like it or not they need a Pulis, a Hodgson or Allardyce. 

Howe is a more sensible choice than Emery. If he's smart, he'll take it with a couple of clauses - bonus on staying up (because if he does he'll be chucked in favour of someone sexy) and a "allowance for relegation" so he can stay if/when they go down.

Part of me would love it if they re-appointed Allardyce because it would rattle their fans. However, I think he would actually keep them up so I really I'd rather they appoint a complete novice in keeping teams up and they end up going down as a result. 

• Like 1

I really like that Emery's main gripe with Newcastle is that it was 'Him or Eddie Howe' and he's basically said 'Don't even think about putting me head to head with that useless wet wipe' lol 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Nuno to Newcastle maybe a good fit now

May well be. It won't be pretty but he'll get them organised and hard to beat. I'm not sure if the new owners actually have a clue and will need to learn very quickly (as King Power did). If these stories are true then it all sounds like muddled thinking. Perhaps they need a season or two of Puel to sort it out and be the fall guy although that doesn't fit with the excitement they are trying to create. 

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

May well be. It won't be pretty but he'll get them organised and hard to beat. I'm not sure if the new owners actually have a clue and will need to learn very quickly (as King Power did). If these stories are true then it all sounds like muddled thinking. Perhaps they need a season or two of Puel to sort it out and be the fall guy although that doesn't fit with the excitement they are trying to create. 

The owners have a decent enough football background, Jamie Ruben was on the QPR board for a long time, Amanda instigated the Man City takeover... they have knowledge.

The issue is Ashley stripped everything but essential staff, there's no Football Management structure between board and first team, and Lee Charnley is still there in the interim so not a lot has changed.

Wouldn't be surprised if Charnley was the one causing all the issues, he's Mike Ashlley's best mate!

37 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I really like that Emery's main gripe with Newcastle is that it was 'Him or Eddie Howe' and he's basically said 'Don't even think about putting me head to head with that useless wet wipe' lol 

Which absolutely isn't his main gripe at all. Apologies if you're deliberately twisting it for comic effect. 

His main gripe is they're throwing money at it with no plan and the fact that their short list is a bunch of managers with completely different football philosophies is evidence of that. 

• Like 1