Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Should make this forum respect our own manager, who doesn't chase excuses & goes mainly around doing his job quietly also endorses..

"It's what we do that counts"

Though a nice rant ,opens the windows

& Klopp when he comes down, has always been fair over his competitors.

Often by then though some journos have got their own headlines..like with Shankley,Revie,Fergie..Pep,before.

Fans have to read between the lines,

and enjoy .!

I think Rodgers goes too far the other way haha. He says absolutely nothing in his interviews and they're largely pointless. That is just about preferable to listening to someone whine though.

Give me a manager that says it how it actually is and will give a fair assessment of a game regardless of the result. I'm not interested in biased views, I'd just like to hear a realistic review of the situation and their genuine feelings. Such personalities feel few and far between though.

I've never been a fan of people not telling the truth and blatently lying, it's just pointless, especially when you're saying something that is completely untrue/absurd and doesn't reflect what thousands or millions of other people have just watched.

14 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I think Rodgers goes too far the other way haha. He says absolutely nothing in his interviews and they're largely pointless. That is just about preferable to listening to someone whine though.

Give me a manager that says it how it actually is and will give a fair assessment of a game regardless of the result. I'm not interested in biased views, I'd just like to hear a realistic review of the situation and their genuine feelings. Such personalities feel few and far between though.

I've never been a fan of people not telling the truth and blatently lying, it's just pointless, especially when you're saying something that is completely untrue/absurd and doesn't reflect what thousands or millions of other people have just watched.

In all sports has mentioned in another posts...It's the later in the week interviews that have their value..And Rodgers are > a bit<.  more candid.

But agree with those annoying way off

Points  some tend to wander around & into...But maybe in the modern cynical times we are, some put up a fasade of untruths to balance the silly game, of interviews that lay before their paths every single day...

• Like 1

Comparisons between Leicester and West Ham are redundant (in the context of "will they win the league") because 15/16 and 21/22 are incomparable. 

In many ways, it'd quite frankly be more impressive if they won it this year (which they can't and won't) than when we won it. 

I never bought entirely in to the "league was weak" when we won it and no doubt that wouldn't have been thrown in Arsenal or Tottenham's faces had they been champions but there's absolutely no denying that the top three are freakishly, freakishly strong this year. 

One of Liverpool, Chelsea or Man City could theoretically have a bad year (look at Liverpool last year) but its practically impossible for them to all drop enough points that anyone from 4th downwards can catch them. 

I don't say any of this to disrespect West Ham or our own title win but this is maybe the most out of touch three teams have ever been from the rest of the Premier League. It's like putting Juve, Bayern and PSG in the SPL. 

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Comparisons between Leicester and West Ham are redundant (in the context of "will they win the league") because 15/16 and 21/22 are incomparable. 

In many ways, it'd quite frankly be more impressive if they won it this year (which they can't and won't) than when we won it. 

I never bought entirely in to the "league was weak" when we won it and no doubt that wouldn't have been thrown in Arsenal or Tottenham's faces had they been champions but there's absolutely no denying that the top three are freakishly, freakishly strong this year. 

One of Liverpool, Chelsea or Man City could theoretically have a bad year (look at Liverpool last year) but its practically impossible for them to all drop enough points that anyone from 4th downwards can catch them. 

I don't say any of this to disrespect West Ham or our own title win but this is maybe the most out of touch three teams have ever been from the rest of the Premier League. It's like putting Juve, Bayern and PSG in the SPL. 

The only thing I’d disagree with here is top 2 not 3, I don’t think Liverpool are that far ahead of the chasing pack. They have Salah who appears to have gone up another level this year, but overall I think they are behind Man City and Chelsea who look really strong, and not that far ahead of an inconsistent lot behind them.

19 hours ago, Corky said:

Klopp is really rude to people. I get being annoyed with losing and that "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser" stuff but he gets quite personal with interviewers and it isn't on.

Reporters ask questions, they aren't there to give opinions. Unfortunately the fanbase will lap it up and pile in on the bloke asking the question, not the instigator.

This exactly. He speaks sometimes without any consideration to aftermath. Remember the Hamza incident. A bookable offence but no where near as bad as Klopp made out. Even more so when you consider TAA tried to snap someones ankle in the same game. It led to online abuse on Hamza for many weeks after and essentially made him perceived as “that sort of player”. 

He comes across as a good guy but there is a nasty side which makes him very horrible.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

Starting to hear a lot of noise around west ham 'doing a leicester'. as good as they are right now i just don't see them going the distance. it will all catch up with them after xmas then we'll see. Good for them and Moyes though. imo the leicester story is on a whole different level. nothing will top that achievement. oh and this BS about the big 6 having an off year is really getting old and tired as excuses go. They had blips like all teams do every season we were just that much more consistent. thats not jammy thats being persistent and determined. we had our blips too that season but we came back with a vengeance after each one. After all these years some people still can't accept our deserved win. the jealousy is mind boggling.

They won't be 'doing a Leicester' though will they if they were to win the League. Had a good season last year and qualified for Europe. We went from the bottom of the table, absolutely nailed on for relegation, to winning the title in 12 months.

Yes, they are currently bothering the established top 6 and that's great, but 6th to 1st isn't as much of an achievement as 20th to 1st.

• Like 2

I actually have really enjoyed watching West Ham this season, they’ve played some exhilarating football and Moyes has got them very well drilled. I think that people are very reluctant to give him credit.

Despite that, I would be very surprised to see them actually challenge for the title. They have an excellent starting eleven, but if you scratch the surface then their depth is actually quite poor. A few injuries and it could fall apart for them. For instance, what options do they have if Rice or Antonio pickup an injury? 

I also remember people saying that we could challenge for the title at points in both 19-20 and 20-21, it’s simply just so hard to compete with teams like City and Liverpool when depth comes into play. I still think that they have a good chance of a top four finish though. Chelsea, Liverpool and City will almost certainly finish in the top three but United are very fragile and I would not be shocked to see West Ham to finish 4th if they get lucky with injuries.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Be interesting to see how West Ham do when the injuries and fatigue mount up.

Yep-  Could this be their 'Fofana' moment?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The only thing I’d disagree with here is top 2 not 3, I don’t think Liverpool are that far ahead of the chasing pack. They have Salah who appears to have gone up another level this year, but overall I think they are behind Man City and Chelsea who look really strong, and not that far ahead of an inconsistent lot behind them.

I do think Liverpool is somewhat behind Man City and Chelsea, but also that they're well clear of anyone below them.  It's as clear-cut a separation of power as we've had for a while, and realistically WHU has almost no chance to break up the party.  That said, I think they have a great shot at CL qualification.

5 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

Liverpools bench is a million miles behind the other top sides. Bringing on Minamino when chasing a game on Sunday isn’t like looking at your bench and seeing a Grealish, Mahrez or even a Rashford on it. 

It's why I've got them behind Man City and Chelsea in my prediction this season, it's a small nucleus of real quality and then the drop off on the bench is quite substantial after the top 13/14 players.

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Hopefully for them it's not a similar outcome. Everytime I see a player go down holding their knee after losing footing or something innocuous I always assume a ligament problem. Seems mad when the physio's let them carry on knowing the damage that could be done.

Evidently he doesn't appear to need surgery so it wont be as bad 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I have had the good fortune to get to know him first at Mainz as a player, then successfull Manager.

I  am a BVB fan...I always said he's a breath of fresh air & not boring clichés.

His approach is different...

Enjoyed listening to him in private, his then ambitions & aspirations..Done well. The lad as.!

Of course like all sporting managers/coaches ..or just other people with different characters, will always have someone finding fault..

I am too old and mature to go on

witch-hunts to throw shit at people who are making descisions everyday within their chosen careers..

I didn't Agree/like his remarks over

Choudhury...but ffs even our own best mates & ourselves are allowed to be plonkers or go off on strange tangents,now & again..

He's rekindled L'pool..

He seen Mainz fair..and a good Dortmund CV.. We liked MONs emotions & outbursts,but also worth listening to.

I enjoy(ed) the same with Klopp..

Me and you have had this discussion before!  

lol

He might get good results after being afforded lots of time and money. Doesn't mean I have to like the persona to be fair  :dunno:

Also living in a large dortmund area I obviously routed for bayern :ph34r:

The only comparable to West Ham doing a Leicester & potentially winnning this year is that it would not be 1 of Man C, Man U or Chelsea winning, the 3 teams that have dominated the past 20yrs (aside 1yr for Liverpool) that is it, it would not be seen as a better acheivement & why....
The year we won West Ham came 7th
They have spent the entire time Man C, Man U & Chelsea have dominated within the Premier Lge, we had spent just 1 season in the premier lge having been promoted & almost relegated the previous season, thats 1 season in the Premier lge since 2004, contrast to West Ham who had spent just 1 season out the premier lge in the same time.
I doubt they will beat us on the amount of wins in the season either, they already have 2 losses after 10games, the same number we had after 38 games i really don't see them going unbeaten for the next 28 games.
So inconclusion Andy Goldstein talks shite on that front.

Edited by BKLFox

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It depends how many points they get if they did somehow win it. On paper that achievement seems extraordinary given the strength of Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea but we're only 11 games in. If West Ham had to go toe to toe with them at the level they've been performing at then they'd need 90 points or more which would be just absurd and totally get the notion that it would be every bit as astonishing as our title win, but the more likely would be that if they did somehow win it it would likely have seen the 3 mentioned have a pretty horrid final 2/3rds of the season in which case the points total needed wouldn't be as high. So therefore it makes the feat less about ripping the powerhouses apart and more them falling apart, which sort of happened when we won it. It very much " feels " right now that the 3 respective teams are stronger than anything seen in the Prem for some time but modern football is all about the now and looking back things/teams/players never seen as shiny and impressive.

27 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Me and you have had this discussion before!  

lol

He might get good results after being afforded lots of time and money. Doesn't mean I have to like the persona to be fair  :dunno:

Also living in a large dortmund area I obviously routed for bayern :ph34r:

Yes I knew as soon as I started the post

I had hoped with my New Parks wit & wisdom..I had got through and a chink 

of civilisation had stroked your shoulder and the light had got through...but I see the dark forces of Bayern are still within you...But you are worth saving..so I will not cease to help you through this dark phase...:sleep: