Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Comparisons between Leicester and West Ham are redundant (in the context of "will they win the league") because 15/16 and 21/22 are incomparable. 

In many ways, it'd quite frankly be more impressive if they won it this year (which they can't and won't) than when we won it. 

I never bought entirely in to the "league was weak" when we won it and no doubt that wouldn't have been thrown in Arsenal or Tottenham's faces had they been champions but there's absolutely no denying that the top three are freakishly, freakishly strong this year. 

One of Liverpool, Chelsea or Man City could theoretically have a bad year (look at Liverpool last year) but its practically impossible for them to all drop enough points that anyone from 4th downwards can catch them. 

I don't say any of this to disrespect West Ham or our own title win but this is maybe the most out of touch three teams have ever been from the rest of the Premier League. It's like putting Juve, Bayern and PSG in the SPL. 

But Palace just beat Man City, as did Spurs, and So'ton drew. West Ham did L'pool whilst Brighton and Brentford got a draw. Chelsea drew with Burnley, and squeaked by Brentford.

West Ham aren't showing any fear of any team, and dumped both Manchester teams out of the league Cup.

This big 3 are dropping points against mid table teams and against each other. They might play dominant football but they're not invincible, and if West Ham bar Ogbonna, can keep their team together and fit they might keep up.

I'm not saying West Ham will win the league, but the big 3 are certainly not out of touch....yet. 

And I'll continue to enjoy West Ham this season,  and hope they join us in sticking it to the Sky 6 every now and then.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

All this talk of West Ham, didn't Watford start a season like this not long ago and people were talking of them "Being the next Leicester" lol

Fair play to them absolutely, but blimey we are 11 games in and will almost certainly suffer injury/suspension problems like the rest of us.

Pleased for David Moyes though, taken dogs abuse over the years so fully deserving of the positive attention he's getting now

Or when people were talking about who Burnley would get in their Champions League group when they were fourth overnight after a few games once.

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

West Ham are not overachieving rather they have underachieved for far too long. They are in a huge catchment area of East London and Essex with little opposition. They should be just as big as Tottenham and Arsenal.

West Ham are probably the biggest underachievers in league history, considering the players they have had, but they are overachieving atm (when you consider Man City and Chelsea have spent £100m+ again).

Good luck to West Ham, they won't win the league but I hope they do. Always nice when it's not a "big club".

Edited by Fox92

44 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Yes I knew as soon as I started the post

I had hoped with my New Parks wit & wisdom..I had got through and a chink 

of civilisation had stroked your shoulder and the light had got through...but I see the dark forces of Bayern are still within you...But you are worth saving..so I will not cease to help you through this dark phase...:sleep:

lol If it helps after I left I stopped pretending to like bayern. :thumbup: 

I just love its called 'doing a Leicester'. :D

Now Ogbonna will be injured for a while, so curious to see how strong the West Ham squad really is. When we did 'the Leicester', we were blessed with minimal injuries and no european sidetracking. I am all for West Ham challenging the big guys, when we apparently are not able to though.

Still Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool all look scary strong despite a few hiccups here and there. 

1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

All this talk of West Ham, didn't Watford start a season like this not long ago and people were talking of them "Being the next Leicester" lol

Fair play to them absolutely, but blimey we are 11 games in and will almost certainly suffer injury/suspension problems like the rest of us.

Pleased for David Moyes though, taken dogs abuse over the years so fully deserving of the positive attention he's getting now

And even West Ham didn't appreciate him properly in his first stint there! 

• Like 1

I've no issue whatsoever with West Ham doing well.  My only gripe is that I look at their squad and I look at ours.  Both pretty good squads, but I'd take ours every time if I had to choose.  They seem so far ahead of us though, it makes me feel like we are massively underperforming.  We should be going toe to toe with them in a fight for that 4th Champions League spot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jonezy said:

I just love its called 'doing a Leicester'. :D

Now Ogbonna will be injured for a while, so curious to see how strong the West Ham squad really is. When we did 'the Leicester', we were blessed with minimal injuries and no european sidetracking. I am all for West Ham challenging the big guys, when we apparently are not able to though.

Still Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool all look scary strong despite a few hiccups here and there. 

They were doing just fine with Dawson before. Not sure this will set them back much.  

In truth the only 2 that would really hurt them would be Cresswell and Rice. They are covered in other areas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Same with Southampton last season when they were a couple of points off top after 11 games. Once the injuries piled up they dropped away.

I can’t see West Ham finishing top 4 as they don’t have enough goal scorers. I think they will end up worse off than last season’s 6th place which was an overachievement imo 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

How Leicester would It be to win the league in the greatest fairytale of all time then bleeding west Ham come along a few years later and do the same lol

I keep fearing this with every time a player goes on a run of a few games scoring. Was convinced Salah was going to take it. Would be genuinely gutting to lose that so soon. We need that for at least 15 years.

Then the record dies against someone average and you appreciate how mad what he actually did was.

4 hours ago, MonmoreStef said:

Liverpools bench is a million miles behind the other top sides. Bringing on Minamino when chasing a game on Sunday isn’t like looking at your bench and seeing a Grealish, Mahrez or even a Rashford on it. 

Yep. They're also shipping quite a few goals this season as well - good stat I heard yesterday was something like in 2019/20 they only let in 2+ in a game once before that Watford game at the start of March. This season it's happened 6 times already in all comps.

You can get at Liverpool. Van Dijk is still great, but I don't know if he's quite at the level of before - pre-injury he was as good as any centre half as I've seen in this league.

If West Ham could do it I’d be delighted for Moyes and their fans. It would be an incredible achievement. 

However in reality it is only a remote possibility and many things would have to align, as they did for us. Not impossible, but unlikely. 

I can’t see beyond Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City this season. They will form the top 3, but in which order I don’t know. Could be any which way round. 

4 hours ago, FoxFossil said:

Wonder if we have a storming finish to the season and finish...5th.

It doesn´t really matter does it -- we play awfully in Europe so being in CL would most likely have been a total disaster Im afraid....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Villa must surely know that he will probably be off to Liverpool once Klopp leaves as well

Villa probably view it as, he'll have had to progress them in order for him to get the Liverpool job and that they'd take that occupational hazard as it helps them in the short term. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Sounds like Gerrard might be off to Villa, the dumb bastard.

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Villa must surely know that he will probably be off to Liverpool once Klopp leaves as well

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, seems really odd.

Klopp isn’t going anywhere for a few more seasons

villa are a great option for gerrard - they will give him plenty of backing and he can prove himself to the liverpool hierarchy who may have told him that winning the SPL won’t be enough to get him the gig 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, seems really odd.

You act like Brendan wouldn’t do if they offered it to him again. 

He will have to do well to be considered, which if he has, is a success for them. So where’s the issue?  Not like Klopp is going any time soon 

Just now, Lambert09 said:

You act like Brendan wouldn’t do if they offered it to him again. 

He will have to do well to be considered, which if he has, is a success for them. So where’s the issue?  Not like Klopp is going any time soon 

If he fails at Villa he won’t get the Liverpool job any time soon. His stock was safe at Rangers.

12 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If he fails at Villa he won’t get the Liverpool job any time soon. His stock was safe at Rangers.

Sorry, I thought you were saying its odd by villa, not by him. 

I think he probably wants to challenge himself. He has achieved what he needed to in Scotland and has done a magnificent job. I can understand why he'd take the move. 

Its actually a great job for someone, very similar to Brendan taking over us. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2