Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

6 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

All this talk of West Ham, didn't Watford start a season like this not long ago and people were talking of them "Being the next Leicester" lol

Fair play to them absolutely, but blimey we are 11 games in and will almost certainly suffer injury/suspension problems like the rest of us.

Pleased for David Moyes though, taken dogs abuse over the years so fully deserving of the positive attention he's getting now

TBF when they say “doing a Leicester” they could mean the Leicester that were top after 8 games but ended the season being humiliated by Wycombe 🧐

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Langston said:

Sorry, how is this a stupid move for Gerrard? 

Are people just assuming he walks into Klopp's shoes if he stays at Rangers for another few seasons? Categorically no chance.

He's done a very good job up there but he *has* to show he has some value in a stronger league (not to discredit the SPFL which I think gets a rough ride from people who like to pick low hanging fruit). Villa's squad isn't *that* bad, they're well backed and a huge club - it's an attractive job and he has to roll the dice at some point or another. This is the next rung up on the ladder before the "elite", if you will.

If he does then up and leave should Liverpool want him, he'd be departing Villa having done a good job, surely?

And if does badly at Villa? Or well in Europe with Rangers? We need not be so EPL centric.

12 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Depends what he does in Europe for me.

If he was to win he EL with Rangers for example.

No chance of winning that 

12 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Maybe not, but he could certainly lose it at Villa. Guess as @Lambert09 said, he wants a challenge/return to the EPL

He could but I can’t see him getting a better option than villa to prove himself to FSG 

10 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

And if does badly at Villa? Or well in Europe with Rangers? We need not be so EPL centric.

Rangers are almost always going to duck out of the Europa League the moment the Gazprom drop outs turn up.

Villa is a gamble, every move is - moreso when he could coast at Rangers, but I think there'll be more value in him turning Villa into a top 6-10th placed club than there would be with him bagging another Scottish title with his dong out. It's a gamble worth taking.

Just seems an odd stance to take when our very own manager is the perfect case study here. Left a job where he could manage with a cigar on, took a punt on a similarly underperforming English top tier club, made them not absolutely shite, is now being whispered about for huge gigs.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Sorry, I thought you were saying its odd by villa, not by him. 

I think he probably wants to challenge himself. He has achieved what he needed to in Scotland and has done a magnificent job. I can understand why he'd take the move. 

Its actually a great job for someone, very similar to Brendan taking over us. 

They have some exceptionally talented academy players coming through too, ideal step up for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Langston said:

Rangers are almost always going to duck out of the Europa League the moment the Gazprom drop outs turn up.

Villa is a gamble, every move is - moreso when he could coast at Rangers, but I think there'll be more value in him turning Villa into a top 6-10th placed club than there would be with him bagging another Scottish title with his dong out. It's a gamble worth taking.

Just seems an odd stance to take when our very own manager is the perfect case study here. Left a job where he could manage with a cigar on, took a punt on a similarly underperforming English top tier club, made them not absolutely shite, is now being whispered about for huge gigs.

Maybe, just felt the Liverpool job was his, and putting it into jeopardy with this move was a risk, and was a bit different than Rodgers. However, he is a pro sportsman so is not likely to be short of confidence or self belief, so you are probably right.

I think the Villa move is a huge opportunity still, despite what many say. If Gerrard can get a tune out of those players they have at their disposal then he could do really well, and potentially set himself for the big job. 

I feel like the Liverpool job would require even a club legend like Gerrard to cut his teeth a little more at the level. I know most of us say that the SPL is a pony league, but he has done a remarkable job at Glasgow Rangers. Stopping ten in a row for Celtic is massive and it looked a certainty when he came in. 

The villa job is similar to how I think many coaches would have viewed the vacancy at our place post Puel.

Gerrard is probably looking at the Villa job as stepping stone for that big Liverpool job one day. I think he fears that one day when Klopp steps aside as manager, he may get considered but get snubbed due to fact he's only managed Rangers in the scottish pub league. He needs a job to really test him, The Villa job is certainly a make or break for him. Is he good fit for Villa? Well I think he's a better manager than Lampard put it that way. But unlike Newcastle I think Villa can land better appointments.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

No chance of winning that 

He could but I can’t see him getting a better option than villa to prove himself to FSG 

Not totally impossible they have got to the last 16 twice in the last two years, however they are in a tougher group this year and have a bit of work to do. 

But he has shown he can win in Europe and do well with Rangers which is a decent achievement with the funding he has at his disposal. 

Edited by coolhandfox

Jamie Ohara showing that even he doesn't believe a word he says (not that anyone needed proof). 

He's gone from "Bournemouth job being bigger than Rangers" to "Is Villa a step down from Rangers"

https://www.facebook.com/talkSPORT/videos/jamie-ohara-the-bournemouth-job-is-bigger-better-than-rangers-job/738705503574113/

Pure clickbait.

Edited by RonnieTodger

57 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Jamie Ohara showing that even he doesn't believe a word he says (not that anyone needed proof). 

He's gone from "Bournemouth job being bigger than Rangers" to "Is Villa a step down from Rangers"

https://www.facebook.com/talkSPORT/videos/jamie-ohara-the-bournemouth-job-is-bigger-better-than-rangers-job/738705503574113/

Pure clickbait.

Tbf Rangers reserves are bigger than Villa :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Pure clickbait.

Its the same with Chris Sutton. Couple of years ago he's saying recent premier league champions and established Premier club Leicester are a step down from Celtic and Celtic reserves are bigger, now he's saying Aston Villa, promoted a couple of years ago are a step up from Scottish champions Rangers. In reality, every Premier league job is a step up from the Scottish Premier league.

• Like 2

Villa have a decent squad and an owner that isn't afraid to chuck money at the club. The expectations aren't that huge, 11th or 12th wouldn't be seen as particularly poor season.

Watkins, Ings, Bailey, Buendia is potentially a very dangerous front 3 or 4.

McGinn is good.

Targett, Konsa, Tuanzebe and Cash is actually steady. Martinez too.

They probably need a bit more creativity in midfield, Sanson I rate maybe when he's back fit he'll be what they need.

I'd rate their squad better than Everton's, their recruitment set up seems better too. With the average age of their squad there's a lot upside.

Wasn't Buendia brought in as their creative midfielder? Villa residents of this forum with know better than me. Smith's problem I think was some of the new signings (like Buendia) didn't hit the ground running which most people might be lenient towards and they've had injuries so that front three haven't had chance to operate. All while changing their system to accommodate the loss of Grealish. Personally I think they should have stuck with Smith (he'd earned it). While a good little squad I don't think they'll do much better under any of the managers rumored for the position.

27 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

Wasn't Buendia brought in as their creative midfielder? Villa residents of this forum with know better than me. Smith's problem I think was some of the new signings (like Buendia) didn't hit the ground running which most people might be lenient towards and they've had injuries so that front three haven't had chance to operate. All while changing their system to accommodate the loss of Grealish. Personally I think they should have stuck with Smith (he'd earned it). While a good little squad I don't think they'll do much better under any of the managers rumored for the position.

The problem was signing him in the first place. All he did was replicate what he did in the championship the season before (with slightly better output) and everyone was expecting him to suddenly be this amazing player. 

Of course he could have improved but he’s a bit of a knockaert imo. If he was from Scotland he’d still be with Norwich but that’s just my view, clearly I’m missing something 

Edited by Lambert09