Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

25 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Mcallister has been a disaster at every club he's been at bar rangers. Its an interesting one but I think Gerrard will work well.

I'm not as sure. 

Rangers recent success has been just as much about how poor Celtic are than it has been Rangers. 

You look at that Rangers team and its not a particularly strong team with any type of identity. You couldn't say, "this is the regular line up and this is their style of play". It's more like he holds a tombola the day before to decide the team and works out a gameplan from there. 

Bit of a scattergun approach in terms of signings then no consistency in the starting 11 as he trys to fit everyone in. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm pretty sure there has to be significant changes to the ownership for more than 1 of the teams to compete in Europe at the same time. Have Granada/Udinese/Watford ever been in Europe in the same season?

Your inclusion of Watford there must be taking the piss. I don't think they have been in Europe at same time. Udinese and Granada have made appearances though 

• Haha 1

Strange appointment, but good luck to Gerrard for taking the leap and not just waiting for the Liverpool job. He'll learn a lot.

Agree with others - I don't see how this is an upgrade on Smith. Just fresh blood I suppose.

Edited by CloudFox

21 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I don't see how Gerrard is an upgrade on Smith in any way.

The job he's done at Rangers can't be underestimated. He won their first title in 10 years, stopping Celtic from winning ten consecutive league titles and went unbeaten in the league. You could say that Celtic faltered which is true, but Rangers also performed very well in Europe. 

I do acknowledge that this is not a risk-free appointment, but he deserve the chance to manage in the Premier League. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Strange appointment, but good luck to Gerrard for taking the leap and not just waiting for the Liverpool job. He'll learn a lot.

Agree with others - I don't see how this is an upgrade on Smith. Just fresh blood I suppose.

They were never going to offer him the job based solely on what he's achieved at Rangers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shailen said:

Gerrard has taken a big risk here. If it doesn't work out for him then he's distanced himself from the Liverpool job that he would have more than likely got after Klopp leaves! 

He knows that Liverpool won't appoint him on the basis of doing well at Rangers only. He's therefore had no choice but to take the risk if he wants that job when Klopp leaves. He's not going to get a big 6 job so this is one of the best available opportunities in the PL. Villa are a big historic club with a decent squad that is underperforming. I think it's a well calculated risk for Gerrard. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot

How is Gerrard a bad appointment?

I'm not close to his record up there but they've done pretty well in the league and Europe haven't they?

Still think the villa squad is bang average without Grealish.

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Brave really, Rangers fans seems disappointed, but accepting. Callum Davidson for their next manager it is then

I withdraw this statement, asnow its announced, they seem a tad annoyed

I did see a tweet of Gerard shaking hands with Rodgers (with regards to Leicester City vs Villa), bearing the tagline '"El Ratico"    lol

• Haha 4

I am thrilled on behalf of my villa friends.   Villa rightly acknowledge their role as a manager feeder club for liverpool.   They ate ahead of rangers in that respect. Meanwhile Gerrard will get experience of a relegation scrap...  

I am somewhat surprised at the villa owners signing up for this detour

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

How is Gerrard a bad appointment?

I'm not close to his record up there but they've done pretty well in the league and Europe haven't they?

Still think the villa squad is bang average without Grealish.

1 league win out of a possible nine trophies. Last season with Celtic at their lowest ebb, they only managed the league. Deserves credit for the European performances though. 

6 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

He knows that Liverpool won't appoint him on the basis of doing well at Rangers only. He's therefore had no choice but to take the risk if he wants that job when Klopp leaves. He's not going to get a big 6 job so this is one of the best available opportunities in the PL. Villa are a big historic club with a decent squad that is underperforming. I think it's a well calculated risk for Gerrard. 

Lampard got the Chelsea job on the back of doing a decent job at Derby. I'd say what Gerrard has done at Rangers far exceeds the job Lampard did with Derby, so whilst I get the point around him proving himself in this league, his affinity and legend status would have weighed in heavily with Liverpool. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

1 league win out of a possible nine trophies. Last season with Celtic at their lowest ebb, they only managed the league. Deserves credit for the European performances though. 

Fair enough.

9 minutes ago, shailen said:

Lampard got the Chelsea job on the back of doing a decent job at Derby. I'd say what Gerrard has done at Rangers far exceeds the job Lampard did with Derby, so whilst I get the point around him proving himself in this league, his affinity and legend status would have weighed in heavily with Liverpool. 

Liverpool will be cautious about appointing a legend without much experience. It hasn't worked for either Chelsea or Man U. Lampard got the Chelsea job because no big hitters wanted it whilst they were under a transfer embargo. 

16 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This will really test his ability. More spotlight on him in the Prem than in the SPL, at a club flush with cash. You wonder how much patience he will get to build them up

True - At least he should have an expansive play book containing tactical solutions for navigating past parked buses.

41 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Liverpool will be cautious about appointing a legend without much experience. It hasn't worked for either Chelsea or Man U. Lampard got the Chelsea job because no big hitters wanted it whilst they were under a transfer embargo. 

That's true, but I think Gerrard has already proven more than the other two in management so would have been a decent appointment for them without the Liverpool connection. Obviously if he does well at Villa then it will only help his cause for the Liverpool job and I suppose you have to back yourself to be able to manage anywhere if you want to be at the top.