Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Are the Rangers fans at least behaving with a bit of dignity compared to Celtic when we nicked Rodgers?

1725003828_gersfans.JPG.a09e99efc29ee21b8af417fcb65d0105.JPG

I'd say yes.

Compared to Celtic when we nicked Rodgers.

Think it's a bit early to write off Gerrard in the Prem, I know the SPL isn't the hardest league to negotiate but what he's done there can only be described as positive.

Alot seem to think that Gary McAlister is a large part of his success too, not sure if he's joining him too?

Looking at what is potentially out there NOW in terms of available managerial replacements is, well frightening.  Dean Smith, Big Sam and Steve Bruce.   Not a good time to be looking for a new Coach........ 

• Like 1

I think Gerrard has made a big mistake going Villa. If he doesn't hit the ground running I think things could turn sour quickly for him. I think he should of stayed at Rangers. Europe guaranteed pretty much every season whether it's Europa or Champions League. Can't see him getting Villa anywhere near Europe. 

I find the possibility of Norwich appointing Lampard slightly bizarre. They have previously hired managers on the strength of analytics and foreseeing what managers greatly overachieve. Lampard isn’t that. Strikes as a board decision over operational in attempt to be perceived ‘Premier League’

3 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Looking at what is potentially out there NOW in terms of available managerial replacements is, well frightening.  Dean Smith, Big Sam and Steve Bruce.   Not a good time to be looking for a new Coach........ 

One of the factors what normally would occur this summer is the lack of a World Cup. By July we’d be traditionally looking at six managers who fancy going back into club management. That’s going to occur now part way through a season in December 2022. Likes of Mancini, Luis Enrique and Hjulmand are going to await out this World Cup 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

13 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Question is, how do we accommodate Lampard AND Gerrard in the same relegation scrap?

Sky will love it. They can spend most of the time talking about Gerrard time at Liverpool and Lampard at Chelsea before any of their games.

Then they can talk about Villa and Norwich for 5 mins before KO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, sharpylcfc said:

I think Gerrard has made a big mistake going Villa. If he doesn't hit the ground running I think things could turn sour quickly for him. I think he should of stayed at Rangers. Europe guaranteed pretty much every season whether it's Europa or Champions League. Can't see him getting Villa anywhere near Europe. 

There’s not going to be much pressure at Villa. They’ve got the basis of a good squad and have the backing to fill any gaps.

A rambling article at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59243189 but a small bit in the middle really spells out what Gerrard's options were:

"Even if he'd stayed and won everything for another season or two - a massive 'if' - would that have propelled him into a different stratum in England? Almost certainly not.

History tells us that. Walter Smith went to a relegation-haunted Everton. Martin O'Neill went to Villa, Alex McLeish went to Birmingham, Gordon Strachan went to Middlesbrough, Neil Lennon went to Bolton, Brendan Rodgers went to Leicester.

Those managers were dripping with Old Firm silver and they couldn't attract the biggest clubs."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

A rambling article at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59243189 but a small bit in the middle really spells out what Gerrard's options were:

"Even if he'd stayed and won everything for another season or two - a massive 'if' - would that have propelled him into a different stratum in England? Almost certainly not.

History tells us that. Walter Smith went to a relegation-haunted Everton. Martin O'Neill went to Villa, Alex McLeish went to Birmingham, Gordon Strachan went to Middlesbrough, Neil Lennon went to Bolton, Brendan Rodgers went to Leicester.

Those managers were dripping with Old Firm silver and they couldn't attract the biggest clubs."

Villa was a very attractive job when O Neill and went their likewise us with Rodgers.

18 minutes ago, Stadt said:

There’s not going to be much pressure at Villa. They’ve got the basis of a good squad and have the backing to fill any gaps.

Even if there's no pressure from Villa themselves there's gonna pressure from the media with regards to the Liverpool job so if he doesn't hit the ground running we all know that the media will come out with is Gerrard good enough for the Liverpool job etc. If he can't that handle pressure then I wouldn't be surprised to see it all fall apart at Villa very quickly.

I genuinely think Stevie g is going to smash it. He has all the qualities of a good manager. I think he is the type that will get the best out of everyone and also won’t be a soft touch like lampard and ole. 

I would have been very happy if he had been our next boss. 

Lampard to Norwich is just such a nothing appointment. They have gone from finding a hidden gem to the least imaginary choice going. 

The odds of them staying up were slim. If you wanted a proven person then the usual candidates are up for grabs. Or you go with someone from Europe who has a big potential and give them the season to see what they have. Even if you go down you’ll have the signs on whether they are going to be able to build something special for you. 

But they go for an unproven, unimaginative, big name option. Based on absolutely nothing. 

I like Frank and hope he proves me wrong but his cv is taking derby from 6th to 6th when he was gifted all the talent chelsea could offer him. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Corky said:

What does Gerrard need to do to get the Liverpool job? European football? Win a trophy? Hell of an ask if that respect.

Don't get Norwich going for Lampard at all.

Have to imagine that as long as Villa are in and around the European places (7th, 8th) he would be achieving bare minimum to get that job given who he is. 

15 minutes ago, Corky said:

What does Gerrard need to do to get the Liverpool job? European football? Win a trophy? Hell of an ask if that respect.

Don't get Norwich going for Lampard at all.

I'm thinking of it more from the other point of view...I don't get why Lampard is going for Norwich. He's probably not had many offers but he's a brave man to go into a job where there is a very strong chance that he is going to be relegated. 

• Like 1