Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm thinking of it more from the other point of view...I don't get why Lampard is going for Norwich. He's probably not had many offers but he's a brave man to go into a job where there is a very strong chance that he is going to be relegated. 

Lampard has huge credit in the bank from his playing career plus the Redknapps will be out defending him at every opportunity.

One of those managers who won't ever fail in the eyes of the press.

Just now, Corky said:

Lampard has huge credit in the bank from his playing career plus the Redknapps will be out defending him at every opportunity.

One of those managers who won't ever fail in the eyes of the press.

To be fair though, if they get relegated I think it would very harsh to say that he's failed. West Brom going down last season showed that you still need sufficient quality to stay up, I mean, they brought in the most proven manager there is in terms of keeping teams in the league and he couldn't save them. 

It is interesting how this Liverpool narrative hangs over Gerrard. Like others have mentioned, maybe he has little interest in managing Liverpool until decades down the line (if at all). The life of almost all managers seem transitional as they move from club to club. How many stay in one position more than 5 years? Early days for Gerrard, how he navigates Villa and future clubs will decide whether he ends up at a big club. He just needs to show he has a philosophy of how he wants his teams to play and prove he can implement it. 

Am I right in thinking Michael Beale does most of the training/tactical stuff and Gerrard is more of a front man? Not diminishing his role, it’s an important one and I’m a big believer in delegation and surrounded yourself with the best people. Will be interesting to see how he does. X  

49 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Surely this has ended the myth that the Glasgow teams are relevant outside Scotland. Managers of them both have just up sticks for mid table teams down south at the first opportunity recently.

Lights touch paper 😄😄

As if Gerrard was ever going from Rangers straight to Liverpool. He had to make the leap as with just the right amount of time for Klopp to do another year or two. Fair play to him. He's already sensed there's fcuk all point in staying at Rangers except for collecting a few trophies that people will dismiss anyway. 

Nab a cup at Villa and he'll be brown nosed to high heaven.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corky said:

What does Gerrard need to do to get the Liverpool job? European football? Win a trophy? Hell of an ask in that respect.

Don't get Norwich going for Lampard at all.

Rodgers got the Liverpool job without winning anything at Swansea.

I think as long as Gerrard does alright and gets Villa playing it's his. I imagine it's more about the style of play and if its suits a 'elite club' 

Europe or a trophy would be a bonus for him.

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Am I right in thinking Michael Beale does most of the training/tactical stuff and Gerrard is more of a front man? Not diminishing his role, it’s an important one and I’m a big believer in delegation and surrounded yourself with the best people. Will be interesting to see how he does. X  

This is what a gers fan said to me today, sounds like he's quite highly thought of as a coach/tactician. Id never heard of him till today, but will definitely be keeping an eye out for him now

• Like 1

9 hours ago, filbertway said:

This is what a gers fan said to me today, sounds like he's quite highly thought of as a coach/tactician. Id never heard of him till today, but will definitely be keeping an eye out for him now

He was backed to take the Cardiff job earlier in the week.

“Beale has drawn considerable praise for the work he has done thus far in his career, with Gerrard himself stating of the coach: “It would take me 15-20 years to become as good as Michael Beale as an on-pitch coach, delivering sessions on a daily basis, so I let Mick be Mick because he’s the expert.”

The former Rangers midfielder Andy Halliday also claimed that the 41-year-old is one of the best coaches he has ever worked with, stating: “He’s probably the best coach I’ve worked under. His attention to detail and defensive organisation is incredible… it’s the clarity and the role he gives every single player within the system. It’s very refreshing as a player to go into a game and know exactly what’s expected of you.”

there are loads of snippets on line from ex players who say she eat an breathes football and is the best cos h they have played under.

Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Woodburn and Harry Wilson were some of the up-and-comers he guided at Liverpool. Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Dominic Solanke, Tammy Abraham and Lewis Baker were among his boys at Chelsea. Two stellar generations at two different clubs.

Followed his career for a long time as he used to do books and vids on kids training games etc 

He will go on to be a Top Manager in the premier league. Very similar to what BR has done except he hasn’t take the reigns at a club yet.

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

“Beale has drawn considerable praise for the work he has done thus far in his career, with Gerrard himself stating of the coach: “It would take me 15-20 years to become as good as Michael Beale as an on-pitch coach, delivering sessions on a daily basis, so I let Mick be Mick because he’s the expert.”

The former Rangers midfielder Andy Halliday also claimed that the 41-year-old is one of the best coaches he has ever worked with, stating: “He’s probably the best coach I’ve worked under. His attention to detail and defensive organisation is incredible… it’s the clarity and the role he gives every single player within the system. It’s very refreshing as a player to go into a game and know exactly what’s expected of you.”

there are loads of snippets on line from ex players who say she eat an breathes football and is the best cos h they have played under.

Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Woodburn and Harry Wilson were some of the up-and-comers he guided at Liverpool. Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Dominic Solanke, Tammy Abraham and Lewis Baker were among his boys at Chelsea. Two stellar generations at two different clubs.

Followed his career for a long time as he used to do books and vids on kids training games etc 

He will go on to be a Top Manager in the premier league. Very similar to what BR has done except he hasn’t take the reigns at a club yet.

Looks like he'd be ideal for us.  I especially like the reference to "defensive organisation" - we could do with a bit of that :mellow:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Norwich will still be relegated whoever is in charge.

As for Vanilla, Gerrard will have his work cut out after coming from an easy league to the EPL, time will tell.

Yeah, who'd hire a manager from the SPL? :ph34r:

Gerrard's record in Europe was always the most impressive part anyway. They got to the Europa League quarter finals last season.

33 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yeah, who'd hire a manager from the SPL? :ph34r:

Gerrard's record in Europe was always the most impressive part anyway. They got to the Europa League quarter finals last season.

That's the part on here that people are overlooking. In recent years the old firm have generally struggled in Europe, so making it to the final eight was quite an achievement!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

That's the part on here that people are overlooking. In recent years the old firm have generally struggled in Europe, so making it to the final eight was quite an achievement!  

Pretty sure they beat Antwerp in a couple of entertaining games then lost to Prague in the round of 16 (after they embarassed us at our gaff)

Came 2nd in a group of Benfica, Standard Liege and Lech Poznan. So had the beating of the Belgian teams. For me I'd say it's probably achieving what would be expected, maybe slightly exceeding expectations if we say Standard and Rangers are on par. Having watched the Antwerp games though, I'd definitely say Rangers had the superior players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

I've worked with him on the marketing of those books and can confirm, he is a very, very talented coach. He's never really been interested in the management side of it, he just loves the coaching and is very innovative with it. Also a great guy to boot, very humble and friendly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I'm always surprised Lennon's record with Celtic in Europe is overlooked. He got them to UCL groups a couple of times, which was a massive achievement in itself

He had a few good results too. Beating Barcelona and the like but then he went bat sh!t crazy and seemed to actively try and hijack his own job. 

He was shockingly bad by the end. 

I always thought he would make a top class assistant coach rather than a manager. He can fire a team up and knows his stuff but he's not intelligent or responsible enough for the full responsibility.