Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

His brand is significantly worse. At once point I enjoyed watching us play. Now  watching England is like passing gallstones. Excruciatingly painful but you keep on at it because you know at the end everything will be much better. No wait. Hold on. Passing gallstones is actually better than watching us play.

You had gallstones?  My gallbladder ruptured on Boxing Day a few years ago now. Never EVER felt pain like it as bile literally torched my insides. 8 days in hospital. Then sent home. Finally they operated and the surgeon was like, ooh, that was nasty, gallbladder had collapsed and was dissolving into your liver. A fair percentage of people die from that.

He was very reassuring. That was done at the General. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Funny you should say that as I thinking the exact opposite the other day. I genuinely view international football as almost a different sport to domestic football these days such is my disconnect from that side of the game.

I cringe everytime a modern day England player is heralded for breaking a long standing record with commentators fawning over said achievement is if it's a miraculous feat. The history of these competitions is being erroded to include countries that simply don't have the resources or the desire to compete. I'm not suggesting that they don't have a right to partake, I just think the format is incorrect. 

As for Southgate I've lost a lot is respect for him. Last few seasons we were firmly in the top 4 for the majority of the time and were lucky to get one player called up to represent England. Arsenal after years of being absolute dross make the top 5 for one round of PL football and 3 players make the squad. Southgate might not be quite as bad as his predecessors but the big club bias still exists. 

Which of our English players actually warranted game time for England? Justin was in fantastic form until he got injured, but then when you go through them and recognise who they are competing against for a place in the squad, the answer becomes clear. Chilwell and Maguire both got England call-ups whilst playing for us because they play in positions where England don't have much strength in depth. 

47 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

You had gallstones?  My gallbladder ruptured on Boxing Day a few years ago now. Never EVER felt pain like it as bile literally torched my insides. 8 days in hospital. Then sent home. Finally they operated and the surgeon was like, ooh, that was nasty, gallbladder had collapsed and was dissolving into your liver. A fair percentage of people die from that.

He was very reassuring. That was done at the General. 

My best friend had this. She was admitted to hospital but they weren't really taking very seriously how much pain she was in. Thankfully a new doctor came in when they swapped shifts, looked at her stats and was like 'we have to get her to the operating theatre- now!' Turned out it had ruptured and was infecting her insides - they said if it were left any longer she would have had organ failure.  

• Sad 1

Set-piece coach mystery solved
The mystery of the set-piece coach has been solved: there isn’t one. Rodgers surprised supporters when he said the club had a set-play coach in the ranks of the club, given City’s woes, particularly defensively, from corners.

But it has been clarified that City do not have an employee specifically focusing on coaching set-pieces. They have an analyst, Matthew Edge, for whom corners and free-kicks fall under their remit.

It’s possible that in the future, as the backroom team grows at City, the club will be able to have one of the analysts working solely on set-pieces.

Certainly it feels that’s what City need right now. Although they are improving up front – scoring against Spartak Moscow from a corner, and netting against Leeds from one as well, only for VAR to intervene – defensively they have to get better.

At Elland Road, 10 of the 18 shots City conceded came from corners or free-kicks. Right now, the hybrid zonal and man-marking set-up is not working.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Will be interesting to know how much of a say Howe will have on buying players come January, under these owners.

You do wonder if he's just a 'yes man' for them.

Edited by Wymsey