Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Could be Chilwell's World Cup hopes gone if it is an ACL. 

He should still be back in time to make a case for himself but it all depends what he's like when he gets back i guess. 

We've seen with Ricardo it takes a while.... 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

That's 4 of 5 of our defenders with ACLinjuries in the last 18 months, nuts as fcuk.

Get well soon Ben, he'd be unreal for them this season as well. Properly proving me wrong about his ability to attack with end product.

Yeah I have to say I was a big critic of Chilwell but he looks (or looked before his injury) a different player at Chelsea. 

I wonder if it's our limited coaching or he's just more confident but he looks so different, like an attacking one man army for them!

Have to hold my hands up. I really didn't believe he had it in him.

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Chilwell is a bit of a plum but I wouldn't wish an ACL injury on any footballer.

There is a spanish dude called Fer Nino, who might challenge this view....

But all the best to Chilwell in his recovery. Been playing some of his best football lately. 

31 minutes ago, martyn said:

There is quite a difference between how Chilwell is utilised at Chelsea and how he was here.

At LCFC, he'd often get fed the ball in acres of space, but deep in his own half. Then he'd charge forward 50 yards before having to check back as the defense organised.

At Chelsea he is given the licence to bomb on without the ball much more. As such, when he gets the ball he tends to already be in advanced areas against a non set defence. It suits him much more given his athletic ability.

Good observation.  He's much better in a wing back role, and Chelsea are playing him in a formation that allows him to bomb on freely.  Makes you wonder whether, under Rodgers, he wasn't given so much freedom to do that.

46 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Yeah I have to say I was a big critic of Chilwell but he looks (or looked before his injury) a different player at Chelsea. 

I wonder if it's our limited coaching or he's just more confident but he looks so different, like an attacking one man army for them!

Have to hold my hands up. I really didn't believe he had it in him.

Yeah it's really thrown it in to light for me as I was convinced there were technical deficiencies that couldn't be changed much with him bit he's definitely improved and is in a system that allows him that freedom to attack and not check back. It's funny as some of his best games for us were as a wing back with the whole flank to himself, where as as a full back he'd check back as there was often not the room for him which goes completely against what we see our full backs/wing backs currently do. Ours are poor in a 3-4-1-2 without support on the flanks but much more attacking in a 4-2-3-1. Got to be coaching and tactics.

41 minutes ago, martyn said:

There is quite a difference between how Chilwell is utilised at Chelsea and how he was here.

At LCFC, he'd often get fed the ball in acres of space, but deep in his own half. Then he'd charge forward 50 yards before having to check back as the defense organised.

At Chelsea he is given the licence to bomb on without the ball much more. As such, when he gets the ball he tends to already be in advanced areas against a non set defence. It suits him much more given his athletic ability.

Bang on

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1526424/Newcastle-transfer-news-Kylian-Mbappe-PSG-Premier-League-Real-Madrid

This made me laugh. Petit thinks NUFC can get a champions league player who is a World Cup winner play for a club that is in the relegation zone at the moment. 

Maybe Newcastle will be a force with their money in a few years, but this is pushing it. 

7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Many of you won't be ready for this conversation but Puel made better use of Chilwell than Rodgers.

I think that’s a fair point.

Also should be pointed out that you become a better player playing with other better players, Chelsea’s entire system is based around the wing backs like him, so they should look good, and he’ll face more sides looking to sit back than he did with us which is why he can get up the pitch earlier. Has improved his end product massively though.

13 hours ago, martyn said:

He does look like a different player, looking at his stats seems his output hadn’t really changed, although they would certainly be if this season had carried on the way it was 

19/20 for us 27 appearances 3 goals 3 assists, 0.6 shots per game

20/21 for Chelsea 27 appearances 3 goals 5 assists, 1.0 shots per game

21/22 for Chelsea 6 appearances 3 goals 1 assist, 2.2 shots per game 

28 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Many of you won't be ready for this conversation but Puel made better use of Chilwell than Rodgers.

Not in terms of output:

Puel: 46 PL games , 0 goals, 5 assists @ 0.108 assist per game 

Rodgers: 37 PL games. 3 goals, 5 assists @ 0.135 assist per game. 

What it does highlight is how much we miss Chilwell as an attacking outlet. 

Chilwell always has been a dangerous attacker. He turns up unexpected in the area . However he is a fairly average defender and that was illustrated a number of times with us. James Justin is a better defender being two footed  and has the potential to be equally dangerous in attack. Let's hope his recovery goes well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

What am I not getting in terms of the hate for Maguire and Chilwell? One we sold for a world record fee for a defender, the other came through our academy and we sold him for £50 million and neither (as far as I'm aware) brought the club into disrepute or have ever said anything negative about the club. I get that it's funny to try and rattle them when they're playing against us, but some people are really bitter towards them and I find it weird. It's not like either did anything remotely comparable to what Dennis Wise did all those years ago. 

I think the most valid point is that it is funny to try and rattle them, and the best way is to live like a method actor and stay in character. That way you won't forget.

Edited by gw_leics772

51 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not in terms of output:

Seems a bit of a case of looking too far back….. we actually miss Justin not Chilwell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Not in terms of output:

Wasn’t and isn’t a problem when Justin is fit on that left flank 

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

What am I not getting in terms of the hate for Maguire and Chilwell? One we sold for a world record fee for a defender, the other came through our academy and we sold him for £50 million and neither (as far as I'm aware) brought the club into disrepute or have ever said anything negative about the club. I get that it's funny to try and rattle them when they're playing against us, but some people are really bitter towards them and I find it weird. It's not like either did anything remotely comparable to what Dennis Wise did all those years ago. 

Small winkies. 

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Chilwell was actively discussing moving on when the team couldn't win a game and was desperately scrambling to stay in the top 4.

I don't hate him by any stretch but I think he's an arse. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I think Chilwell laughing and joking at the final whistle with his soon-to-be team mates after Chelsea knocked us out of the FA cup quarter final, rankles...

Edited by FOXSE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2