Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

We'd be ahead of those rivals already, we can't then bemoan them taking their opportunities

Yes we can because we are football fans and without rivalry and moaning the game would be less interesting.

Just now, Matt said:

Well it does as we'd be that club you're talking about.

It wouldn't be a good thing for non big six clubs to make the top 4 if we made the top 4 by your logic.

We'd be ahead of those rivals already, we can't then bemoan them taking their opportunities (Which remains to be seen whether they do or not may I add) when we had the same opportunities but didn't take them.

It would not be good for any of that chasing pack including ourselves. If a non top six club pulled it off. 

If we were to do it, it wouldn’t be good for West Ham or say Wolves. We would have an advantage of them in attracting players. We’d have £100m hard cash in the bank and the ability to retain players such as Tielemans.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well it does as we'd be that club you're talking about.

It wouldn't be a good thing for non big six clubs to make the top 4 if we made the top 4 by your logic.

We'd be ahead of those rivals already, we can't then bemoan them taking their opportunities (Which remains to be seen whether they do or not may I add) when we had the same opportunities but didn't take them.

If we were a constant bottom half side I'd love to see sides like West Ham disrupt the big six. However we aren't and having another side from the same bracket as ourselves breaking in to the top six possibly two years running does create more competition for us in the transfer market. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It would not be good for any of that chasing pack including ourselves. If a non top six club pulled it off. 

If we were to do it, it wouldn’t be good for West Ham or say Wolves. We would have an advantage of them in attracting players. We’d have £100m hard cash in the bank and the ability to retain players such as Tielemans.

You are making us compete only with non top 6 clubs? There is the problem. :D

Up a place as it stands without kicking a ball, what’s with all the negative waves moriarty 

Also West Ham haven’t done anything yet, a little premature to be knocking our last 2 seasons whilst bigging them up as everything we are not isn’t it?

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

You are making us compete only with non top 6 clubs? There is the problem. :D

We can’t pay the same wages as the big six clubs, that’s just a fact sadly. It would take three to five years upwards of us achieving CL to begin that wage structure - as seen when we won the league and ran off the largest split of the Champions League prize/TV money pool. 

Their commercial earnings means they can sustain poor playing performances far more than the rest of us. 

It’s sad but that’s the way the current financial set up of the Premier League is. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

We can’t pay the same wages as the big six clubs, that’s just a fact sadly.

Their commercial earnings means they can sustain poor playing performances far more than the rest of us. 

It’s sad but that’s the way the current financial set up of the Premier League is. 

I get this, but you are putting the traditional clubs out of reach with the primary mandate of worrying about West Ham and other such clubs first. We worry the top 6 when we won, West Ham, Wolves, Everton, would also. Suppose I would love for us to feel the win again, and if we cannot, better West Ham, Everton, Wolves rather than Chelsea, Man City, etc

I must have an underdog complex. lol

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We can’t pay the same wages as the big six clubs, that’s just a fact sadly. It would take three to five years upwards of us achieving CL to begin that wage structure - as seen when we won the league and ran off the largest split of the Champions League prize/TV money pool. 

Exactly, West Ham doing well would put us in a worse position compared to Man United or Arsenal getting there. Not difficult to work out nor is it petty or small-time to not want a team in a roughly similar position and market getting ahead of you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Another team getting into the big six and/or Champions League before us is sadly, not good news for Leicester City. 

It will take a team on the same level or financial standing and push them forward ahead of us. Financially for sure. 

Perversely LCFC need the status quo to stay where we can’t be the team to shake it up. That is the capitalist nature of the English top flight now. 

Would you be upset, then, if WH finished 6th and us 5th, or even better?  It may seem unlikely but there's a long way to go and our form could turn around.

1 minute ago, sishades said:

But we still might do, so lets stop cheering on the opposition until we are not.

Personally i'm not cheering on opposition i'm just enjoying a team that goes against the grain playing a different style compared to 90% of teams, attacking and being exciting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I get this, but you are putting the traditional clubs out of reach with the primary mandate of worrying about West Ham and other such clubs first. We worry the top 6 when we won, West Ham, Wolves, Everton, would also. Suppose I would love for us to feel the win again, and if we cannot, better West Ham, Everton, Wolves rather than Chelsea, Man City, etc

I must have an underdog complex. lol

He isn't putting them out of reach, just stating that they operate in a different market to ourselves regardless of European qualification. However if West Ham consistently qualify and we miss out, who becomes a more attractive proposition when we curently operate in the same market as them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Would you be upset, then, if WH finished 6th and us 5th, or even better?  It may seem unlikely but there's a long way to go and our form could turn around.

No. 

The top four is the real concern because of the step up in financial benefit. 

I still think top six is well within our grasp 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It is not a good thing for Leicester City if non big six club makes the top 4.

Why? They don't suddenly find a chest of gold that makes them financially equal to the "big six" or secure their position anywhere in the league. We might have missed out in the last two seasons, but it wasn't that long ago we were in the QF of the CL. I'm wondering why we don't sign Mbappe or Haaland, presumably that chest of gold is knocking about someplace. 

The other thing is what happened when we did pop our heads into the bright light of the top four? We systematically lost some of our best players. It doesn't hurt us if ManC, Liverpool, Chelsea etc start looking at Rice,Lanzini or whoever. Let their players have their heads turned. It's kind of the story of West Ham after all. 

There's nothing that secures WH in the top 4 if they even manage to stay in it to the end of the season (I don't think they will). And it's all academic as NUFC will fill that forth slot either next season or the season afterwards. So why not WH or why not Wolves? Enjoy it while it's available. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoopla10 said:

Why? They don't suddenly find a chest of gold that makes them financially equal to the "big six" or secure their position anywhere in the league. We might have missed out in the last two seasons, but it wasn't that long ago we were in the QF of the CL. I'm wondering why we don't sign Mbappe or Haaland, presumably that chest of gold is knocking about someplace. 

The other thing is what happened when we did pop our heads into the bright light of the top four? We systematically lost some of our best players. It doesn't hurt us if ManC, Liverpool, Chelsea etc start looking at Rice,Lanzini or whoever. Let their players have their heads turned. It's kind of the story of West Ham after all. 

There's nothing that secures WH in the top 4 if they even manage to stay in it to the end of the season (I don't think they will). And it's all academic as NUFC will fill that forth slot either next season or the season afterwards. So why not WH or why not Wolves? Enjoy it while it's available. 

All stated elsewhere. We shop in the same market for players; West Ham become a more attractive club than us to join. More money and CL football. 

• Like 1