Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

By my count that's

Ten Hag

Conte

Brendan

Nuno

Italian bloke from Roma

Homophobic Italian

Their ex

Any others?

They did ask a couple of inmates on death row but they said..

Nah, ya alright 😂

• Haha 3

On 24/06/2021 at 14:53, howie said:

We wouldn’t sell him for £30m though, if we were to sell we would probably all be expecting £80m for him so £50m for white doesn’t seem too high.

look at the fees for the other defenders in the England squad, Maguire 80m, Stones & Walker 50m, Chilwell 45m

I think the issue, as I alluded to earlier, is that he's only worth £50 million because he's English. In a normal world where the weird fetish for good - not brilliant - home-grown players to laud as marquee signings doesn't exist, he's probably worth half of that fee. I couldn't even say with a straight face that Maguire is worth £50 million given his actual abilities compared to the likes of van Dijk, de Ligt, peak Ramos or any other elite defenders of the past 5-10 years. Yet he's somehow the world's most expensive centre-back. Because he's English and scored a goal in a World Cup quarter final. I still sit and grin when the price tag we got for him crosses my mind.

Brighton's board are no-doubt salivating at him being called up to the squad, even as a last-minute addition, because that alone throws £5-10 million onto his price-tag in this bonkers market we're in nowadays.

Edited by OntarioFox

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

I think the issue, as I alluded to earlier, is that he's only worth £50 million because he's English. In a normal world where the weird fetish for good - not brilliant - home-grown players to laud as marquee signings doesn't exist, he's probably worth half of that fee. I couldn't even say with a straight face that Maguire is worth £50 million given his actual abilities compared to the likes of van Dijk, de Ligt, peak Ramos or any other elite defenders of the past 5-10 years. Yet he's somehow the world's most expensive centre-back. Because he's English and scored a goal in a World Cup quarter final. I still sit and grin when the price tag we got for him crosses my mind.

Brighton's board are no-doubt salivating at him being called up to the squad, even as a last-minute addition, because that alone throws £5-10 million onto his price-tag in this bonkers market we're in nowadays.

No, In my opinion English tax is as much buying from an English premier league club as it is the player being British. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Whilst Lotus have a presence in Norfolk and I believe is still headquartered there; it is definitely Chinese owned.

I agree its an upgrade though and a nice touch.

Yeah, I know, which is why I put the asterisk in there! I mean, it's not ideal but at least they have genuine local links, even if they've gone the same way that a lot of the classic big 'British' companies have done with a foreign buyout.

And by far the most important thing is its not another betting firm (or equivalent...).

20 minutes ago, WarehamFox said:

BBC football gossip page saying Steven Gerrard could be next inline for Spurs job if Nuno rejects it.

Why on earth would he leave Rangers for Spurs though? I don't think he'll leave Rangers until Klopp leaves Liverpool, to be honest.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, WarehamFox said:

BBC football gossip page saying Steven Gerrard could be next inline for Spurs job if Nuno rejects it.

Gerrard should stay at Rangers he is doing a great job and getting good experience, moving to Spurs at this time wouldn’t be a good choice 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Why on earth would he leave Rangers for Spurs though? I don't think he'll leave Rangers until Klopp leaves Liverpool, to be honest.

is that a serious question?

Spurs are a huge club and if gerrard believes in himself he’ll take the challenge on

he can cement his reputation and reassure the scousers that would worry that he’d only managed in Scotland 

if he doesn’t pull up any trees in north London then people will not hold it against him - no one has won anything there for a dozen years ….

49 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Spurs are a huge club and if gerrard believes in himself he’ll take the challenge on

he can cement his reputation and reassure the scousers that would worry that he’d only managed in Scotland 

if he doesn’t pull up any trees in north London then people will not hold it against him - no one has won anything there for a dozen years ….

For me it would be another Lampard. Move to a big London club after limited experience. Yes, Gerrard has done well at Rangers and they are more high profile than Derby, but I'm not sure he is ready for a club like Spurs just yet. The expectations are massive at Spurs and some of the egos in the dressing room could be very challenging. Just look how they stopped playing for both Poch and Jose.

24 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

For me it would be another Lampard. Move to a big London club after limited experience. Yes, Gerrard has done well at Rangers and they are more high profile than Derby, but I'm not sure he is ready for a club like Spurs just yet. The expectations are massive at Spurs and some of the egos in the dressing room could be very challenging. Just look how they stopped playing for both Poch and Jose.

If he’s good enough for Liverpool then he’ll deal with the Spurs job. He may not be successful but it won’t be a train crash.  He will have supreme confidence in his capabilities and would not think about it going wrong …. 

I’m sure that those high up at Liverpool would like to see him take the Spurs role now

21 minutes ago, Corky said:

Gerrard has the chance to win back-to-back titles, win his first cup and play in the Champions League this season.

He's not giving that up for Tottenham.

Though it wasn't enough to keep Rodgers. But then we're the mighty Leicester. 

36 minutes ago, Corky said:

Gerrard has the chance to win back-to-back titles, win his first cup and play in the Champions League this season.

Rangers' reserves are bigger than Tottenham

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If he’s good enough for Liverpool then he’ll deal with the Spurs job. He may not be successful but it won’t be a train crash.  He will have supreme confidence in his capabilities and would not think about it going wrong …. 

I’m sure that those high up at Liverpool would like to see him take the Spurs role now

Is he good enough for the Liverpool managers role though?

Secondly, Spurs want to be successful, as all clubs do, so I'd be surprised if they took a risk on someone with limited managerial experience at a high level. I think most high profile managers have confidence in their own ability, that doesn't mean they will be successful, just look at Jose's tenure at Spurs.

I agree regarding the the Liverpool comment, as it gives them assurances that he can manage a top club or identifies his limitations, thereby they look elsewhere when Klopp moves on. It would be a win win situation for Liverpool and no doubt if they came calling, it would be Gerard's dream job.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

In my opinion the 'only managed in Scotland' argument doesn't hold much water when it comes to Gerrard. He's played extensively in the PL, and knows it inside-out. It's the same with Lampard - he did reasonably well despite never having managed above Championship level. Lampard did not have enough time to develop, however, as is to be expected at Chelsea.

Also, as Corky says...

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Gerrard is far better off staying at Rangers and showing he's not a flash in the pan. He can really build something there and compete in the Champions League. This means he will continue to develop as a coach and manager, while getting the opportunity to taste the Champions League without the pressure there is at Spurs.

Spurs are a mess at the moment. They will go through a couple more managers before they right themselves and get back to the level they were at, I think. That's exactly why Kane wants to leave - he understands this is not something that will be fixed by the next manager.