Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Bloody hell, that's a gamble. Didn't do great at Nice, considering the huge job needed at Palace 

Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't last more than 3 months and someone like Allardyce returns temporarily.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He’s crap is he not?

I mean, if you want to take a massive gamble why not do it on someone from a lower level he’s actually done something in management. 

Hate these types of appointment, I’d be livid if it was us. 

For that gamble may as well have gone for Cooper at Swansea or Lampard. 

As you say, Viera hasn't pulled any trees up in his time and will have to get used to the Prem and English football, which has changed a lot since he last played.

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He’s crap is he not?

I mean, if you want to take a massive gamble why not do it on someone from a lower level he’s actually done something in management. 

Hate these types of appointment, I’d be livid if it was us. 

Dunno if he's crap, he's still very young as a manager with just one major job under his belt, though his achievements as a player probably automatically gives him an advantage over coaches of the same profile. Took Nice to 7th in his first season. His win rate there is better than any (permanent) Palace manager in the last 15 years except for Pulis and Pardew:

1734604971_Screenshot2021-06-29at13_22_50.thumb.png.61493fa098f92b44c408ac81688eed5b.png464368608_Screenshot2021-06-29at13_24_04.thumb.png.9f63200b3e5ac111c6ebc592edac754d.png

It depends what Palace's project is and what they want to do. They've got a ****ton of players ending their contracts tomorrow so this summer is a massive gamble in many ways. They probably see it that they can afford to take a chance on him, give him a chance to build a team with very little pressure and if they stay up it'd be a bonus. It's not an appointment I'd want us to make in that situation of course but I'm interested to see how it pans out for them.

22 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Dunno if he's crap, he's still very young as a manager with just one major job under his belt, though his achievements as a player probably automatically gives him an advantage over coaches of the same profile. Took Nice to 7th in his first season. His win rate there is better than any (permanent) Palace manager in the last 15 years except for Pulis and Pardew:

1734604971_Screenshot2021-06-29at13_22_50.thumb.png.61493fa098f92b44c408ac81688eed5b.png464368608_Screenshot2021-06-29at13_24_04.thumb.png.9f63200b3e5ac111c6ebc592edac754d.png

It depends what Palace's project is and what they want to do. They've got a ****ton of players ending their contracts tomorrow so this summer is a massive gamble in many ways. They probably see it that they can afford to take a chance on him, give him a chance to build a team with very little pressure and if they stay up it'd be a bonus. It's not an appointment I'd want us to make in that situation of course but I'm interested to see how it pans out for them.

Puel had Nice 4th.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Puel had Nice 4th.

Puel has 20 years of managerial experience and he's a better coach than Vieira anyway. Vieira is not an appointment I would make but jury is still out on him whether he's crap or not. It's too early to say. 

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Puel had Nice 4th.

Which is why Vieira was a risk for them too. He got them to 5th in his second season before being fired for being 11th and losing 5 on the trot. Like @Kokesaid Puel had 15 years of experience in that league as a manager and another 20 as a player. 

Palace have finished 10th-15th since coming up - he's still a risk in respect of their predicament and his lack of managerial experience in the league, but other than that it's a brave move for me.

Just to be clear Palace are one of the only London clubs I actually like so I hope it works out for them.

2 hours ago, KFS said:

I’m usually cautiously optimistic about our chances every year but this year there are so many teams in transition. Really feel it could be another special one

Not sure I agree. Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool and even man city will be stronger. With other clubs close to us (villa, Leeds and west ham) all likely to improve also. 

I think our chances of top 4 are worse than the last 2 seasons. 

You’d expect at least one of the transition teams to get it right (arsenal, wolves, Spurs, Everton) 

palace aren’t in our league any more. 

• Like 1

Vieira is French and is extremely well connected in Ligue 1.  Where 19 out of 20 clubs are conducting a fire sale as we speak.  At exactly the time Palace need a whole new squad. 

If he could bring in and integrate a fair amount of underpriced young talent … he could play an 18 - 24 months squad-reshaping role not unlike Puel’s here.  Then be jettisoned.

Edited by KingsX

13 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I can see Palace going down this season what with having to replace 10 first team players and getting a manager that is a random and risky choice.

I think they are favourites for me. 

all 3 promoted sides have a decent chance imo. 

wouldn’t be surprised at all to see palace, burnley plus 1 of the newbies 

• Like 1