Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

2 minutes ago, Md9 said:

Think you just have to play it and see how it goes even if you have to put under 18s out will make the league a bit more interesting. No doubt Norwich will still end up losing every week 😬

Not sure how serious you are but I’d rather the season was cancelled than played with youth teams ! 

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

1. Wtf are you talking about, the Premier League desperately wanted Saudi investment and is delighted to sell Newcastle to them, it represents a huge cash injection in to their game. They weren't "forced" to approve them, they were desperate to approve them. What they didn't want was the PR hit, which is why it took months of dancing around trying to find the right angle. 

2. The only one with an agenda who's been embarrassing themselves for months since literally the most evil owners of a football club in the country came in is you. This weird Newcastle fetish you've got has turned you in to some sort of strange apologist. If you were Toon it'd make sense but you're allegedly a Leicester fan? Idk. 

It was nothing to do with a PR hit, it was because they were actively bootlegging the premier League's content from one of their biggest customers.

Funny thing is clubs at lower league levels who may not be able to field an xi due to no covid issues maybe an injury crisis. They might have very small squad and may not even have youth setup to fill the squad with, they don't play there fixture they get punished and fined and some cases the game could get awarded to the other team. Yet these premier league clubs with millions invested into youth setup with dozens and dozens of players can't for some reason for fufil fixture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

The following types of owners would stop me following the club

- any nation state

- Russian oligarch

- company involved in selling guns or gambling

So, would I be uncomfortable if we had Abramovic (who has links to Putin), Saudi, Chinese state? Yes. I would stop following the club. I do not want my hometown and the team that has represented it for over 100 years to be owned by those kinds of people. 

We are associated with 5 betting companies, don't understand why it's acceptable in your eyes to take profits off these companies you see as dismoral but you'd only call it a day if they actively owned us?

Will there ever be a time as daft as it sounds where football club will buy a band land in a area, where they can build a secure training facility which will also contain accomodation for club staff and their familes. This is so players can be looked after and can be avoided of being bothered by the press.

7 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

It isn't and I'd like to see betting advertising banned from sport. But there is a difference between ownership and advertisers. Advertisers you can cancel the contract - some clubs already have and I remember old Newcastle ending their Wonga sponsorship. 

Totally agree with you.  On advertising/sponsorship you are tied into a contract for a specified period (sometimes with an option to renew for the sponsor/advertiser) so there is a delay between wanting to end it and being able to end it.  There are sometimes grounds to terminate if a particular advertiser/sponsor does something that brings the Club into disrepute (and vice-versa).  This may have happened with Wonga.  I'm doing a sponsorship deal at the moment with one of the 2 big sports brands and interestingly they control who co-sponsors can be but don't object to being associated with gambling or alcohol.  I've often wondered why the big brands don't themselves bring influence on Clubs to steer clear from particular industries.

On a wider point to show how the betting industry is so insidious someone explain why the BBC regularly gives horse racing tips and why horse racing on tv shows odds (whilst not displaying betting logos).  It shouldn't happen and happens for no other sport. 

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Pausing seems so stupid to me. Why not play games that can be played. If you pause it for 2, 3, 4 weeks. What happens if cases are still rife in 4 weeks? You're in the same position but you've wasted time when games could be played.

Agreed 

I think they just have to push through it.

Bizarrely the league would have a decent immunity at the rate it’s going 

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Agreed 

I think they just have to push through it.

Bizarrely the league would have a decent immunity at the rate it’s going 

Depends what happens in the pause. 

What SHOULD happen is that all the players and staff involved go and isolate, ensure they're completely healthy and unexposed and come back with a clean bill of (covid related at least) health. 

Stop the cases spreading, make sure nobody has it that isn't currently showing, etc. Then come back and carry on playing in front of empty but sterile stadiums again until omicron blows over. 

If you're going to do that then a pause is not just a good idea it's the obvious idea. 

The problem is the players can't be trusted, especially over the holiday period, to actually do the hard bit and commit to the isolation. Even though they're being paid fvcking millions for the "hardship."

Although let's be honest, the real reason we're not stopping is because the wealthiest man in the world has paid a lot of money to broadcast games over the festive period. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What SHOULD happen is that all the players and staff involved go and isolate, ensure they're completely healthy and unexposed and come back with a clean bill of (covid related at least) health. 

Stop the cases spreading, make sure nobody has it that isn't currently showing, etc. Then come back and carry on playing in front of empty but sterile stadiums again until omicron blows over. 

If you're going to do that then a pause is not just a good idea it's the obvious idea. 

The problem is the players can't be trusted, especially over the holiday period, to actually do the hard bit and commit to the isolation. Even though they're being paid fvcking millions for the "hardship."

Although let's be honest, the real reason we're not stopping is because the wealthiest man in the world has paid a lot of money to broadcast games over the festive period. 

That sounds awful

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Funny how Klopp doesn't want games to be cancelled/moved because he would lose his African/South American players for a few of those rescheduled games.

Despite continually crying for a winter break.

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Meeting Monday apparently for the Premier League to discuss plan of action, my guess is now sadly the league will be paused until new years day. With maybe an extra week added to the season, so we could see the season finishing on either first or second week of June. 

The Nations League messes that up. Season would have to be finished by 22nd May. It would just mean a very compact Winter/Spring schedule with up to 3 games a week.

44 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So many of them would go to Dubai we might as well just play the games over there.

BBC

In figures released by the EFL on Thursday, a quarter of players in the leagues below the top tier of English football "do not intend to get the jab".

The most recent figures for the Premier League came in October and revealed 81% had had a first jab and 68% were double vaccinated.

31 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

And the average football fan is too selfish and short sighted to accept that maybe being stood in a crowd of thirty thousand people at close quarters while cases are sky rocketing again isn't smart. 

The government not forcing the issue here is also the problem. If an individual chooses not to go for safety reasons I don't think they will be entitled to a refund and therefore lose out financially. An enforced closure would avoid this dilemma.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, davieG said:

BBC

In figures released by the EFL on Thursday, a quarter of players in the leagues below the top tier of English football "do not intend to get the jab".

The most recent figures for the Premier League came in October and revealed 81% had had a first jab and 68% were double vaccinated.

Clubs should do a scheme the NHS are currently doing - have a jab/s by a certain month, or you'll receive disciplinary action.

Harsh, I know, but this virus has killed over 100,000 in the UK alone and many thousands of others are struggling with long-Covid consequences.

Some who don't want the vaccines will say 'it's against my human rights to having been 'forced' to receive such jabs' etc, but their attitude certainly comes across as quite ignorant in a dangerous pandemic period.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah but it also sounds efficient. As with all things related to covid, people need to learn to grow the fvck up and take the short term pain for long term gain. I'm baffled that we're eighteen months in and we've still got swathes of people too childish to see it. 

We should have been back to empty stadiums a week or two ago to be honest, the government are just absolutely getting hammered on a PR point and didn't have the balls to take the hit. And the average football fan is too selfish and short sighted to accept that maybe being stood in a crowd of thirty thousand people at close quarters while cases are sky rocketing again isn't smart. 

Last home game everyone was supposed to be in masks on the concourse, walked in to the ground and there was literally me and one other person wearing one ffs. 

Do we just do this for the premier league, I'd assume we want all pro footballers to do the same?

What happens if with the best intentions there are still cases that cause games to further be postponed, because there are plenty of non-footballers involved in a football match day, especially the higher up you go.

Who's covering the losses of the clubs?

Do we extend this to all other sports as well, how far down to we go?

I could understand a precautionary break for 2-3 weeks to see the actual effect Omicron has. Yours feels more like a certain, let's do this and this and there'll be no potential issues further down the road because this is exactly the obvious and correct way to do things.