Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

15 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

I was quite happy and optimistic with the appointment of Mr Ranieri 

I’m sure you were.

Many were not. I was one of them.

Back to the point in hand, I think Benitez particularly is a very underrated manager, and has achieved quite a lot in his career. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him get Everton into a position where they are challenging for top four.

• Haha 1

Ranieri was taking over a team that had finished 14th in their first season in the Premier League. If he finished 11th the next year he'd have done a good job.

He didn't have the baggage that Benitez has with Everton or the expectation Nuno will have.

• Like 4

Sad to see Nuno go to another Prem club so soon. I wish the bloke well personally but hope he fails miserably there as a manager. 

I bet Matt Doherty has been celebrating into the night though. 

Oh and Wolves first home game....... Spurs :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Sad to see Nuno go to another Prem club so soon. I wish the bloke well personally but hope he fails miserably there as a manager. 

how nice of you lol 

17 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Sad to see Nuno go to another Prem club so soon. I wish the bloke well personally but hope he fails miserably there as a manager

You're not alone...

• Like 1

Genuinely surprised how negative the comments are on here... 

Both are established Premier League managers with a good track record. It is very rare for a manager to walk away from a Premier League club on their own terms, and both have done so and come back at a club better equipped to succeed. 

Spurs have gone for what they need with a more upcoming manager as they look to reinvent themselves and challenge again, and Everton have gone for what they need in another experienced head. 

I think both are better appointments than the alternatives being linked, and I think they have both clubs have landed on their feet a bit. I think a few too many views on here are coloured by style of football, but watching these Euros have shown me how dull a lot of football is, and that it is not often the wrong tactic. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Where do we think Everton and Spurs will finish this season then?

Really surprised Spurs went for Nuno given Conte was available. I think his appointment on paper is good for us; Spurs and Arsenal should be finishing above us given their commercial revenues and location but mismanagement from their owners has opened the door for us over the last few seasons and we’ve taken the opportunity. If Spurs had got Conte, they’d have finished above us I think. 

As it stands another top 5 finish is within our grasp and whilst that’s not Champions League football it’s still a very impressive achievement given the differences in spending power. 

Everton high spurs even lower (esp if they keep kane... he runs like he is dragging a sledge)

• Haha 2

I don't think Spurs will be terrible under Nuno. He has shown flexibility with Wolves, but his outlook is definitely cautious and defence first. 

The Portugese Southgate if you like. 

I just hope they don't sell Kane and then use the money to buy any of Neves/Neto/Jimenez. If they came calling for Coady or Traore then they'd leave with my blessing. 

Edited by The Bear

Think both are solid appointments, if not amazing.

Would we be happy with either, had Brendan left? Most likely not, which shows just how far we've come.

Benetez's main problem is winning over the fans, however local rivalry will soon be forgotten if he propels them to top 6.

Nuno, I feel is just a stop gap, until someone with a higher profile is available and see Spurs as a club going forward. Hence, the 2 year contract. I think Spurs are hoping he can get things going in the right direction and then appoint a higher profile manager. A risky gamble, but through greed, this is where they are at.

Just now, The Bear said:

I don't think Spurs will be terrible under Nuno. He has shown flexibility with Wolves, but his outlook is definitely cautious and defence first. 

The Portugese Southgate if you like. 

The thing is that fans will boo very loudly if subjected to dire football. Spurs fans historically don’t mind the odd tonking if overall they play good stuff, which in some ways is understandable as we watch football to be entertained. Our club under Puel had solid mid table finishes but was like watching paint dry! Personally I enjoyed our great escape season more than Puel’s seasons because even though it was often depressing to see us lose so often, it was exciting and of course we turned it around in the end. 

Spurs and Everton fans for sure want a trophy but if they don’t get it will be extremely vocal. Well maybe not Everton as that ground is one of the quietest in the country whenever I’ve been there. 

It makes me feel privileged to watch this Leicester team, have won trophies, are generally competitive and play good stuff. Many are disappointed with not getting to the Champions League but personally I’m as happy as Larry. It’s never been as good as this in our history!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Where do we think Everton and Spurs will finish this season then?

Really surprised Spurs went for Nuno given Conte was available. I think his appointment on paper is good for us; Spurs and Arsenal should be finishing above us given their commercial revenues and location but mismanagement from their owners has opened the door for us over the last few seasons and we’ve taken the opportunity. If Spurs had got Conte, they’d have finished above us I think. 

As it stands another top 5 finish is within our grasp and whilst that’s not Champions League football it’s still a very impressive achievement given the differences in spending power. 

They’ll both be harder to beat but awful to watch - the kind of teams that won at the KP last season without breaking sweat.

Your view of Conte is interesting. Yes, a guaranteed winner but ten times more toxic than Mourinho. I don’t think Levy would have dared replace Jose with the twenty first century version!

As we stand, with the whole of the window ahead of us, I’m with you in seeing fifth as realistically achievable, I don’t expect us to get closer to top four (I hope we get ‘distracted’ by a run to a cup win!) but do expect to finish above Spurs & Arsenal. Again!

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Schlupo high-class Lol he's been nicking Premier League wages for years. 

To be fair they did say 'a number' but didn't say that was necessarily 11.

Hasn't Donnarumma already signed a contract for PSG as well?

17 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

A couple of names there don't quite fit in with the "High class" tag lol

Definitely take one of those center backs on a free.

15 minutes ago, Koke said:

Ramos is 35 and will demand huge crazy wages. I'm not even sure who will take him. Man Utd probably. 

Serial winner though. Imagine what he’d have to say to dumb and dumber (Maddison and Perez) after their antics pre-West Ham…