Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

After I made a lot about Leeds getting their game on despite their mounting injury crisis at the weekend they now get a game called off due to Covid, I’m sorry but I’m as cynical and skeptical of them as I was ourselves.

Theres just too many grey areas and many things conflicting each other.

I’d also be a hypocrite if I thought any different given my opinions last weekend.

1 hour ago, FoxesTez said:

Wolves v Watford off on Boxing Day. 

Utter arseholes, I was looking forward to going to that game. As usual we get punished even though we're fully triple vaxxed, both players and staff. 

Watford's outbreak was 10 days ago and they had closed the training ground. What the hell kind of nonsense is going on for them to have even more cases now? 

They really need to enforce the 14 players over the age of 18 rule and make teams play games. They did it with Derby in the FA Cup so the precedent is there. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Rather him play the under 23’s against Man City then go full hit against Liverpool. Give something else for Klopp to moan about.

Bit of a dilemna. Play two equally good teams and we will almost certainly be done over twice with 0 points. Throw everything into one basket and we might sneak a draw/win. But which game do we have a better chance? Man City look to be finding a rhythm. Liverpool haven't been majorly impressive.

So I think I would agree with your point. Weak in the City game, full strength against Liverpool. Give our injured players as much rest as possible (well an extra 2 days...).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

Utter arseholes, I was looking forward to going to that game. As usual we get punished even though we're fully triple vaxxed, both players and staff. 

Watford's outbreak was 10 days ago and they had closed the training ground. What the hell kind of nonsense is going on for them to have even more cases now? 

They really need to enforce the 14 players over the age of 18 rule and make teams play games. They did it with Derby in the FA Cup so the precedent is there. 

Agreed, they literally just said this on Monday. If 14 players are available. No chance Watford only have 13, just an easy excuse.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Agreed, they literally just said this on Monday. If 14 players are available. No chance Watford only have 13, just an easy excuse.

We do have a lot of injuries..

I agree does seem odd to be getting cases now if they all have be doing as they ought to be .

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StanSP said:

How is Everton's game not off despite their new cases? 

Probably because they are playing Burnley who have already had 3 games called off. That's not Everton's problem though so it should be off if you're calling other games off too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

Gonna end up with like 2 games actually being played on Boxing Day isn’t there 🥴

They should all be postponed.

We're at a point where sides like Spurs have 2 or 3 games in hand, they can talk about fixture congestion now but that'll catch up with them.

• Like 1

It’s just getting silly now. Premier league looks desperate at best. Govt lockdown is coming in the new year once the new stats are in of increased covid rates. It’s a 3 ring circus of sponsors & advertisers, broadcasters and the league all in each other’s debt so show must go on at all costs!

Kloppy got his wish then. Doesn't need to worry about playing on the 26th and 28th this season (which he's never done before in the Premier League anyway). Ricardo probably out after last night too, Soyuncu injured, worked out brilliantly.

2 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Rather him play the under 23’s against Man City then go full hit against Liverpool. Give something else for Klopp to moan about.

Yep, I'd write the Man City game off and go full for the Liverpool game. Not that I think we'll win either game.

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Kloppy got his wish then. Doesn't need to worry about playing on the 26th and 28th this season (which he's never done before in the Premier League anyway). Ricardo probably out after last night too, Soyuncu injured, worked out brilliantly.

Exactly this. I used to quite like him but his incessant whinging is too much. He stamps his feet and gets his own way again. Not a nice man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

How is Everton's game not off despite their new cases? 

Probably because the PL are better at sums than Benitez.  Benitez reckons that Everton have only 9 fit outfield players, with 5 covid-stricken and 6 injured.  And yet they have used 26 outfield players in league games this season. 

Presumably the PL weren't impressed by his claim that 6 of the players he has already selected, are not up to standard and can't be selected?

36 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Probably because the PL are better at sums than Benitez.  Benitez reckons that Everton have only 9 fit outfield players, with 5 covid-stricken and 6 injured.  And yet they have used 26 outfield players in league games this season. 

Presumably the PL weren't impressed by his claim that 6 of the players he has already selected, are not up to standard and can't be selected?

It makes a mockery of what is and isn't allowed though. 

Apparently any players who has played in the first team this year counts as an eligible player. 

So any smaller squads getting fvcked over by injuries and COVID then bring youth players in this year, now suffer because of that. Whereas the bloated bigger squads ie those that can afford it, don't suffer as much because the likelihood is that they'll have more experienced players. 

It's a bit of a joke to be honest. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Langston said:

I've never been employed by them, and I think Simon Jordan is good value in the main, but I ****ing *loathe* the notion that "working in McDonalds" is scraping the barrel stuff. Why is that always the comparison?

Guest Kopfkino

No idea why the fans support the nonsense Christmas schedule, is it the stand ultra-conservatism that seems to afflict football fans? The round of games between Boxing Day and New Year are generally dire, the games on New Year are also often quite bad too. The product is diminished so why it gets support idk. I’m all for a Boxing Day and new year game and I’m not against one in between if it’s done sensibly. For example, at any other point in the season, a team doesn’t play on Tuesday after a Sunday game, even if it’s the same for both. At Easter the EFL plays Friday, Monday. The second lot of games could easily be played on Wednesday night (sure some people will moan about evening kick offs for whatever reason) and the New Years could even be played on the 2nd but maybe that’s just too progressive.

We play too much European football- it takes up too much of the calendar. 38 league games in 40 weeks is not too much, the fact we have to cram so many games into a short period of time is down to the absurd amount of European matches.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

No idea why the fans support the nonsense Christmas schedule, is it the stand ultra-conservatism that seems to afflict football fans? The round of games between Boxing Day and New Year are generally dire, the games on New Year are also often quite bad too. The product is diminished so why it gets support idk. I’m all for a Boxing Day and new year game and I’m not against one in between if it’s done sensibly. For example, at any other point in the season, a team doesn’t play on Tuesday after a Sunday game, even if it’s the same for both. At Easter the EFL plays Friday, Monday. The second lot of games could easily be played on Wednesday night (sure some people will moan about evening kick offs for whatever reason) and the New Years could even be played on the 2nd but maybe that’s just too progressive.

I guess It's a throwback to the days punters only had bank Holidays off, so clubs needed the extra bank holiday game of extra takings through the gate. 

A round of PL games could easily be split Sunday, Monday, Tuesday for TV this year and a second round for New Year Saturday, Sunday, Monday

That's more than enough