Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

We play too much European football- it takes up too much of the calendar. 38 league games in 40 weeks is not too much, the fact we have to cram so many games into a short period of time is down to the absurd amount of European matches.

That issue is in the process of being sorted so no need to worry about that next season. 

:schmike: :brendan:

Call it "Brendan's parting gift".

Edited by Matt

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10340155/Fans-FUME-Liverpools-Tyler-Morton-escapes-red-card-awful-challenge-Ricardo-Pereira.html

Fans FUME after Liverpool youngster Tyler Morton escapes red card for 'awful challenge' on Leicester defender Ricardo Pereira in Carabao Cup quarter-final victory for Reds

6 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

He hasn’t been here long and saying there are one too many cup competitions.

Doesn’t affect Man U..

This narrative can do one! Youri will remember the goal that gave him the FA cup for the rest of his life. Matt Elliott will too for the league cup.

Not “do you remember that goal that made me finish in 4th place in a league.” Not even a bronze medal place.

Edited by teblin

There are far too many games. The congestion is hideous, and the lads are humans not robots, injury prevention only works if you allow yourself to recover. 

The creation of this shitty ECL has tipped it over the edge, along with a world cup in the winter. 

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Doesn’t affect Man U..

It's about money.  The fa get the fa cup money... the league need the league cup.money. the pl keep the epl money.

We can't scrap the league cup coz of money. 

Rangnick needs to see that in other countries there is not the appetite... but here we love it (and play our reserves)

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Doesn’t affect Man U..

Love how they come into this Country and start moaning. Don't take a job here if it's too much then. It's been like this for years upon years.

13 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

With Liverpool’s game off on Boxing day their real first team will be licking their lips when they face us on 28th after our mauling at Man C just 48 hours earlier. 

Shit, my mind is definitely going now :-( have managed to completely forget going to Manchester and watching us get a "mauling" hope it isn`t dementia !

17 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Love how they come into this Country and start moaning. Don't take a job here if it's too much then. It's been like this for years upon years.

Is Ragnick moaning there or suggesting a discussion should take place about how games are scheduled? I've no doubt some managers come in and whine relentlessly, but why do we need to be so defensive about scheduling as a thing? There's clearly no need for that game in the gooch week and no one's arsed about it regardless.

7 minutes ago, Langston said:

Is Ragnick moaning there or suggesting a discussion should take place about how games are scheduled? I've no doubt some managers come in and whine relentlessly, but why do we need to be so defensive about scheduling as a thing? There's clearly no need for that game in the gooch week and no one's arsed about it regardless.

He's on about ditching the league cup isn't he? Or at least that's how I read it.

I agree scheduling isn't great and said earlier in the thread that the 28th/29th December game should be dropped. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

biting the hand that feeds/.

I for one love the xmas fixture pile up.  it is a time that stretches squads and and can make starts of sarcoid string players.

pep needs to remember he is in the entertainment business. The TV fees paying his wages come form the broadcast games including the xmas fixtures.  Suck it up.

were he to rail against afcon then sky, bt and amazon might even get behind him and the players - this is diminishing our TV PL games.

I have to say, I am with the players/managers with this one. It's particularly challenging this year because of Covid and players isolating, but we always see an increase in injuries around this time of year, especially where threads are already a bit threadbare and they aren't able to rotate as much. And lets be honest, once we get to New Years Day the quality of the football is just dreadful!

3 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I have to say, I am with the players/managers with this one. It's particularly challenging this year because of Covid and players isolating, but we always see an increase in injuries around this time of year, especially where threads are already a bit threadbare and they aren't able to rotate as much. And lets be honest, once we get to New Years Day the quality of the football is just dreadful!

It has been like groundhog day quite often with our matches for much of the last year.

OK.  Here are some helpful points for Henderson to consider.

1.  Most PL players play about 40 matches per season.  Which even Henderson can't seriously consider to be too many, so we can forget about reducing the size of the league.  Any reduction in fixtures need only affect the teams that play in Europe.

2.  By extension, cut down the number of European games.  Instead of the group stage, have a knockout stage - that would cut 4 games off the schedule.  

3.  Scrap the League Cup.  Not enough people are interested.

4.  Make a rule for the FA Cup that any player who has played above a certain number of European or International games can't play in the FA Cup.

5.  Get the players to play their part.  If they want officials to take things like concussion and on-field injuries seriously, then the players need to take it seriously.  They have to stop pretending to be hurt every time a blade of grass touches their shin pad.

6.  finally, if Henderson thinks he can't play for a club like Liverpool because there are too many games and the squad isn't big enough for him to have a rest, then let him insist on a move to a club like Burnley.  Fewer games to play, he'd be happy.  He'd still have far more money than he needs, so that needn't upset him.

• Like 4