Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Newcastle have had another game postponed now

I felt like we were coming out the other side of it after the Boxing Day and subsequent games being allowed to go ahead 

Newcastle are citing further injuries and a suspension as the reason. Which is where it becomes a piss take. Injuries and suspensions are part of football and shouldn’t be considered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Everton away rearranged...

https://www.lcfc.com/news/2434985/february-broadcast-selections-confirmed

Confirmed Fixture Dates

Everton vs. Leicester City
Goodison Park
Tuesday 11 January, 2022 (8pm kick-off)
Live on Sky Sports

Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Leicester City
Molineux
Sunday 20 February, 2022 (4:30pm kick-off)
Live on Sky Sports

Chelsea vs. Leicester City
Stamford Bridge
Sunday 27 February, 2022 (2pm kick-off)
Live on Sky Sports

All fixtures subject to change.

All times GMT.

Don't see AFTV enter the online social spaces as much as it used to, such a shame :ph34r: On that note and the problems many teams have had with re-scheduling, the virus and European Football, Arsenal are in a very good position to make the most of their position. Young fit squad, with confidence and their old head and downbeat "captain" seemingly on the way out bodes well.

Really interesting with Lukaku too. When he signed there I'm sure they made this video, which is ridiculous now, where he's on about his destiny being at Chelsea, how it was wrong he left and how he so loved the club with images of him as an awestruck youngster going around Stamford Bridge - to five months later openly going on about returning to Inter Milan after a £100m transfer 5months ago. It's mental.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

https://www.lcfc.com/news/2434985/february-broadcast-selections-confirmed

Confirmed Fixture Dates

Everton vs. Leicester City
Goodison Park
Tuesday 11 January, 2022 (8pm kick-off)
Live on Sky Sports

Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Leicester City
Molineux
Sunday 20 February, 2022 (4:30pm kick-off)
Live on Sky Sports

Chelsea vs. Leicester City
Stamford Bridge
Sunday 27 February, 2022 (2pm kick-off)
Live on Sky Sports

All fixtures subject to change.

All times GMT.

Everton on the 11th January, means it will definitely be pretty much a

an under 23 team in the cup against Watford then. 

13 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

A simple solution would be to treat the rearranged fixtures like you used to have to in an FA Cup replay.

If you sign any players after the original game, they aren't eligible to play.

That’s actually a very sensible and fair solution. Which probably means it won’t be implemented 

• Like 4

On 30/12/2021 at 15:49, Corky said:

Not sure it's luck, we do seem to get a lot of hamstring/ muscle injuries. Plenty of talk on here about the intensity of training being a factor.

Maybe so and it may be me, but the tackling seems to have a got a lot more reckless this season. Every week it seems we are seeing more and more two footed tackles. 

I’m sure there are stats which will prove otherwise, just my perception. 

12 hours ago, Staffs Fox said:

That’s actually a very sensible and fair solution. Which probably means it won’t be implemented 

I really like this suggestion.

I’ve also thought it might be underhand tactics by Newcastle to build a better squad.

Ultimately, teams should only be cancelling games for COVID cases, then utilising development squads to back fill spaces for the injured players. 

In some ways, the added breaks may help us, as our mass of injured players might be back. You could see why teams would get annoyed.

• Like 1

Leeds not playing Liverpool is a clear example of a club wanting a game called off…..shipping goals….Liverpool next up…..no thanks…..similarly the title race could well be over by Sunday, making a far more attractive fixture for Leeds, plus Liverpool could be without Sadie and Mo…

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Maybe so and it may be me, but the tackling seems to have a got a lot more reckless this season. Every week it seems we are seeing more and more two footed tackles. 

I’m sure there are stats which will prove otherwise, just my perception. 

I think you're right.

Re reckless tackles, I thought that the new leniency was in order to allow reasonable contact, especially in the penalty box, so as to discourage diving at the faintest touch.  Instead it appears to allow more "roughing up" and dangerous assaults all over the pitch.

And as for hamstring injuries, they are rife and especially among our squad, and it's particularly noticeable immediately on return from an injury.  I've done yoga for many years and now attend regular Pilates sessions.  This is similar to yoga but concentrates very much on the core muscles in the abdomen and also very much on increasing strength and flexibility in the hip and leg joints.  It is interesting that teachers of these exercises agree that high intensity leg activity, and football is always cited among the worst, promotes very tight hamstrings.  Indeed, some of the exercises are specifically aimed at making the hamstrings more loose, strong, relaxed and flexible.

It sees to me very believable that footballers, especially if they partake in very strenuous training sessions, are going to start matches with their hamstrings and other soft tissues in the leg joints extremely tight and ready to pop at the first action that severely overstretches them.  Indeed, I would imagine that those parts of the body, if toned by exercises such as Pilates, would make the leg joints more resilient against heavy knocks and awkward landings.

16 hours ago, smudger63 said:

Everton on the 11th January, means it will definitely be pretty much a

an under 23 team in the cup against Watford then. 

i think it will be the other way around. Strong team for the cup game and whatever team for the PL game. Brendan seems to priortize cups (despite getting Europe all wrong).

9 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

i think it will be the other way around. Strong team for the cup game and whatever team for the PL game. Brendan seems to priortize cups (despite getting Europe all wrong).

Actually, I don’t think he has given up on the league at all 

he must believe that the team are capable of reaching an average of 2 ppg from back end Jan when most will be available. (As was the case first half last two campaigns)

that could have us in the 55/65 area which may be EL qualification at the upper end 

cups will deal with themselves - the lottery of the draw as ever.  He rarely plays a weak side in any case (given the available players)