Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Guest Chocolate Teapot
15 hours ago, KFS said:

Where are Villa getting money from?

Theyre basically Newcastle without the media furore.

Villas wage bill will be astronomical. Digne will be getting over £100k a week and the summer signings like Ings and Bailey will be a wedge, not to mention Coutinho. Ah well leave them to run an unsustainable business and when their wealthy owners get bored they will go bust! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Lacking integrity - when project restart was first spoke about sporting integrity seemed very much as the forefront, it seems we’re currently making the rules up as we go along with clubs enforcing their own rules for whatever reasons they like.

I seem to remember after project restart Burnley not being able to put a decent, sufficient bench out, with 2, maybe even 3 keepers on the bench to make the numbers up, it was ridiculed but hardly really spoke about certainly not regarding the fixture being cancelled.

As a side point my interest in the top level game has been waining for various reasons for a while but I seem to be losing more and more interest, over the last couple of seasons I’ve started going down local clubs more often and it’s far more enjoyable.

I'd argue that the measures taken are trying to keep it as fair as possible. Let's not ignore the fact that in previous years when clubs have deliberately played weakened teams (Liverpool, Wolves, Blackpool, Man United as main examples) there has been a lot of complaining. If we deliberately put the team out (the one on Saturday, for instance) against Everton the integrity would be questioned.

Now, I am of a mindset to get on with it, if this is the team available then so be it. However, you know what reactions are like and clubs banging on about unfairness, "why do we play against this squad whilst a team near us played against the reserves?" etc. The Premier League are in a difficult position.

• Like 2

I'm just waiting for the stevie G honeymoon period to end and it will. Let's see what their made of then. They do have good players in their squad but their also very injury prone so can't see a lot of consistency in their performances to be honest. That said we owe them a spanking next time we meet! Hope we have everyone back by then.

34 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Aren't the odds on this (10 false COVID positives) something like one in a hundred million? lol

Yeah for general public it is extremely low I heard. 

So for Liverpool to conveniently get so many all in one go after a tough period of fixtures and players going to AFCON, it does strike as quite suspicious... 

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Let's not ignore the fact that in previous years when clubs have deliberately played weakened teams (Liverpool, Wolves, Blackpool, Man United as main examples) there has been a lot of complaining. If we deliberately put the team out (the one on Saturday, for instance) against Everton the integrity would be questioned.

That doesn't really apply as they all rested their better players to save them for other games. 

When you have no choice but to play a weakened team in order to fulfil a fixture that's not your fault. 

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

So for Liverpool to conveniently get so many all in one go after a tough period of fixtures and players going to AFCON, it does strike as quite suspicious... 

Maybe their asthma treatment interfered with the results

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The incredible thing about Villa is proves how shite the Premier League are in governance. Villa had to do a property flip to avoid FFP sanctions in the Championship or face likely transfer embargo/points deductions. In the PL, it’s come on down and spend as you wish. 

Now I’m not criticising Villa because they are working with the defined rules and we equally bent them to get out of the Championship. However the governance of the game is fcuked 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

3 hours ago, Corky said:

I'd argue that the measures taken are trying to keep it as fair as possible. Let's not ignore the fact that in previous years when clubs have deliberately played weakened teams (Liverpool, Wolves, Blackpool, Man United as main examples) there has been a lot of complaining. If we deliberately put the team out (the one on Saturday, for instance) against Everton the integrity would be questioned.

Now, I am of a mindset to get on with it, if this is the team available then so be it. However, you know what reactions are like and clubs banging on about unfairness, "why do we play against this squad whilst a team near us played against the reserves?" etc. The Premier League are in a difficult position.

Luck of the draw I’m afraid.

Weakened teams in the cup are done and have been done for years, out of choice.

Our situation (And others) is not being done out of choice to play a weakened team, it’s the circumstances and situation we find ourselves in. (Infact it is being done out of choice, we are choosing to cancel our games and a very dangerous precedent has been set in that)

If the players were available and we played a weakened team then questions of integrity could be asked.

We were ‘weak’ v Liverpool and beat them. I’d argue the starting 11 on Saturday wasn’t that bad, yes we had to draft 2 academy lads in but the starting 11 wasn’t that bad, you look at the bench and we're scratching around but again it’s good for the young lads (Bench wise we were weak against Man City, Newcastle, Napoli - even Villa one of our benched players was a lad promoted from the academy) and the games I’ve spoke about are arguably better than we’ve been for much of the season or even as far back as much of the past 12 months!

Another thing i'd like to add to my original reply re: Lacking integrity - Games being called of at such short notice, one or two game have been called of at the 11th hour, infact I think it's 3 games? All involving Burnley - Against Tottenham - tbf that was due to weather but even so, pathetic it was left so late, Villa and Watford. (Luckily for us fans none of our games have been called off that late).

You can also add lack of transparency in my original reply aswell.

Edited by Matt

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Aren't the odds on this (10 false COVID positives) something like one in a hundred million? lol

I don’t know anyone that’s had a positive LFT and a negative PCR lol 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
45 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The incredible thing about Villa is proves how shite the Premier League are in governance. Villa had to do a property flip to avoid FFP sanctions in the Championship or face likely transfer embargo/points deductions. In the PL, it’s come on down and spend as you wish. 

Now I’m not criticising Villa because they are working with the defined rules and we equally bent them to get out of the Championship. However the governance of the game is fcuked 

Yeah and all eyes are on Newcastle so they'll get away with it. Funny that their fans were up in arms about Newcastle too.

It's amazing how much money they've spent without any kind of european football and 1 sale and even then they're still behind us. It's a very shit or bust strategy, might work but it's going to be very tough to break the top 6 this year.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

BBC

The Premier League has said positive Covid-19 tests have fallen for the second successive week.

In the seven days up to and including 9 January, there were 72 new positive cases among Premier League players and staff, from a total of 12,973 tests.

The figure is down from the 94 new cases recorded in the previous seven days.

54 minutes ago, Matt said:

Luck of the draw I’m afraid.

Weakened teams in the cup are done and have been done for years, out of choice.

Our situation (And others) is not being done out of choice to play a weakened team, it’s the circumstances and situation we find ourselves in. (Infact it is being done out of choice, we are choosing to cancel our games and a very dangerous precedent has been set in that)

If the players were available and we played a weakened team then questions of integrity could be asked.

We were ‘weak’ v Liverpool and beat them. I’d argue the starting 11 on Saturday wasn’t that bad, yes we had to draft 2 academy lads in but the starting 11 wasn’t that bad, you look at the bench and we're scratching around but again it’s good for the young lads (Bench wise we were weak against Man City, Newcastle, Napoli - even Villa one of our benched players was a lad promoted from the academy) and the games I’ve spoke about are arguably better than we’ve been for much of the season or even as far back as much of the past 12 months!

The starting 11 wasn't that bad but it was also up against a Watford side who weren't particularly bothered. A fairly full strength Everton, Tottenham, Brighton is a totally different game.

We were weaker v Liverpool but still had plenty of first-teamers available. It's good to have one or two lads in the squad, not making up nearly half of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Also, those players are turned out to be false positives might therefore be susceptible to catching it for real.next time - particularly if the fixtures pile.up

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Lacking integrity - when project restart was first spoke about sporting integrity seemed very much as the forefront, it seems we’re currently making the rules up as we go along with clubs enforcing their own rules for whatever reasons they like.

I seem to remember after project restart Burnley not being able to put a decent, sufficient bench out, with 2, maybe even 3 keepers on the bench to make the numbers up, it was ridiculed but hardly really spoke about certainly not regarding the fixture being cancelled.

As a side point my interest in the top level game has been waining for various reasons for a while but I seem to be losing more and more interest, over the last couple of seasons I’ve started going down local clubs more often and it’s far more enjoyable.

Sporting integrity works both ways though. Forget it was us who had the game postponed and just say it was side A. Side A can't fulfill a fixture because, according to the rules made by the governing body, they have insufficient players to fulfil it due to a combination of injury and illness. The only way the could fulfill the fixture would be to put schoolkids and more than one keeper on the bench and to play players with no league experience from the start. 

They lose the match 6-0 say. The integrity of the competition is fractured because one side has gained an advantage over other teams because the game has been played against the rules of the competition.

There is also the integrity of the supporters who pay good money to see the best players, sponsors who pay good money to back teams and TV companies who are selling their product based upon the quality of players on offer.

I'm probably not conveying what I want to say very clearly but I do take issue with the the idea that clubs are enforcing their own rules. On top of that I actually think it is a very good rule that is currently in place as it protects the integrity of the competition. The rules are made up by the Premier League. Each postponement is applied for and the application scrutinised to ensure it matches the required criteria. This is not clubs enforcing their own rules. Each application could be rejected. I think also the numbers are pretty extreme. For a squad of 25 to be decimated to fewer than 9 outfield players is going to be very unusual but we live in unusual times.

The argument about the benefits to individuals of playing youth team players is a completely different argument and the numbers and make up of first team squads is something that should be explored. Personally I'd like to see the numbers increased to 30 with the extra 5 having to be players under the age of 21.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

That doesn't really apply as they all rested their better players to save them for other games. 

When you have no choice but to play a weakened team in order to fulfil a fixture that's not your fault. 

But there was still a fuss kicked up. Let's say we played Norwich last week, won and then lost a few players to injury and the AFCON. We go to Burnley with a severely depleted side and lose and Norwich will feel doubly hit.

I agree that it is circumstances and we probably need to get on with it but you know as well as I do that clubs will always look for excuses and complain about things. That is why the Premier League is trying to get as many matches played with teams having a minimum of experienced players available.

If all the clubs agreed that from next season, if there's 16 players including a keeper available, regardless of age, experience or whatever then we play then go ahead.

8 minutes ago, reynard said:

Sporting integrity works both ways though. Forget it was us who had the game postponed and just say it was side A. Side A can't fulfill a fixture because, according to the rules made by the governing body, they have insufficient players to fulfil it due to a combination of injury and illness. The only way the could fulfill the fixture would be to put schoolkids and more than one keeper on the bench and to play players with no league experience from the start. 

They lose the match 6-0 say. The integrity of the competition is fractured because one side has gained an advantage over other teams because the game has been played against the rules of the competition.

There is also the integrity of the supporters who pay good money to see the best players, sponsors who pay good money to back teams and TV companies who are selling their product based upon the quality of players on offer.

I'm probably not conveying what I want to say very clearly but I do take issue with the the idea that clubs are enforcing their own rules. On top of that I actually think it is a very good rule that is currently in place as it protects the integrity of the competition. The rules are made up by the Premier League. Each postponement is applied for and the application scrutinised to ensure it matches the required criteria. This is not clubs enforcing their own rules. Each application could be rejected. I think also the numbers are pretty extreme. For a squad of 25 to be decimated to fewer than 9 outfield players is going to be very unusual but we live in unusual times.

The argument about the benefits to individuals of playing youth team players is a completely different argument and the numbers and make up of first team squads is something that should be explored. Personally I'd like to see the numbers increased to 30 with the extra 5 having to be players under the age of 21.

Maybe we should go back through the history books and rewrite history when teams have been through injury crisis's in the past, as i've never known so many games cancelled not due to the reasons we've hearing at the moment, ok, we've never been through anything like Covid but this is largely nothing to do with Covid and much to do about injuries or players at AFCON, circumstances and the fact clubs have found a loophole.

The past including smaller squads, tougher (Or atleast the same) schedules, and less fit players by the way.

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

But there was still a fuss kicked up. Let's say we played Norwich last week, won and then lost a few players to injury and the AFCON. We go to Burnley with a severely depleted side and lose and Norwich will feel doubly hit.

I agree that it is circumstances and we probably need to get on with it but you know as well as I do that clubs will always look for excuses and complain about things. That is why the Premier League is trying to get as many matches played with teams having a minimum of experienced players available.

If all the clubs agreed that from next season, if there's 16 players including a keeper available, regardless of age, experience or whatever then we play then go ahead.

Tell ya what, let's be done with it and not play any more games in fear of players getting injured.