Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

23 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's comfortably offside and the ball hit him. Yes it's unlucky but it's offside.

Even as a Leeds fan I can admit it was technically offside.  However, Jarrod Bowen interfered far more with the gameplay in the cup match last week but because he (probably) didn't touch the ball, that was somehow deemed not offside.  Today, Rodrigo touches the ball but didn't change the course of the attack in any way at all.  If he isn't there, the ball is in the net anywway.

So the laws of the game surely have to be thought about again.  It's a pretty stupid set of laws or interpretations of the laws that lets the goal last week stand but cancels the goal today, when all sensible logic would have it the other way around. 

Edited by Pub breath
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Even as a Leeds fan I can admit it was technically offside.  However, Jarrod Bowen interfered far more with the gameplay in the cup match last week but because he (probably) didn't touch the ball, that was somehow deemed not offside.  Today, Rodrigo touches the ball but didn't change the course of the attack in any way at all.  If he isn't there, the ball is in the net anywway.

So the laws of the game surely have to be thought about again.  It's a pretty stupid set of laws or interpretations of the laws that lets the goal last week stand but cancels the goal today, when all sensible logic would have it the other way around. 

You're preaching to the converted. I don't disagree and something's got to change, but that today, people need to stop with arguments like today because that just weakens the genuine case that there is against the current situation.

I can't say I saw last weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

Problem is he's not Belgian, so doesn't have the pride of managing his country, and they've not looked like winning anything since he's been the manager. 

Am I the only person that thinks it’s completely crazy that it isn’t a rule that the manager (coach’s etc) all have to be of that nationality. 

• Like 3

Rodrigo is clearly in an offside position and it goes in off his ass.  This isn't VAR over-ruling our two v Brighton because Barnes was somewhere in the vicinity.  This is VAR correcting a clear and obvious error.

It's on Rodrigo.  If he wants to goal-hang, he should get onside or get out of the way.  It's not like he could have legally touched a rebound.  What is he trying to do with both feet on the line?

disallowed.PNG.659f1d0224cc9b5520cebc90eafae346.PNG

• Thanks 1

Everton FC in 2022 = Manchester United without the money. I imagine they can get a decent gaffer, but only if the contract is lucrative even if they flame out. Way too poisonous to even bring out speculation about top managers … they are well past that.

Rooney is actually doing a good job at Derby. If they carry on they may survive the drop to league 1. The Everton job may be too early for him even though his boyhood club. Fat Frank will be camping out in the car park for this one but don't think they will choose him. Think it would be overseas appointment for Everton. 

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

You're preaching to the converted. I don't disagree and something's got to change, but that today, people need to stop with arguments like today because that just weakens the genuine case that there is against the current situation.

I can't say I saw last weeks.

It's about 1.10 here.  Looking at it again, i'm sure he even touches a bit of ball.  If he didn't, he was definitely involved in the scrummage.

The Everton model seems to be:

1. Spend half a billion on players.

2. Repeatedly appoint elite level managers with a track record of winning the biggest competitions. 

3. Finish 15th. 

4. Manager leaves, rinse and repeat.

I'm not sure that bringing in any big name managers will change this, at least not anytime soon, because it hard to see exactly what's wrong from the outside (to me it looks like the appointment strategy is dire - they seem to be flashing the cash for fairly disinterested players who no-one wants). But for whatever reason, they're a club that people struggle to care about. Including their own players. 

I could see how appointing Rooney might work, though - they have had lots of experienced managers who have done nothing. At least he would bring a bit of identity and pride in the club. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Martinez's last game for Everton was the day we lifted the Premier League trophy, which by a strange coincidence is the closest Everton have come to a trophy in the last 27 years.

Actually you are wrong. His last game was a 3-0 defeat to Sunderland a few days after we lifted the premier league trophy.