Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

11 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Our situation is still worse than Burnley's. At least they have most midweeks free.

Given it sounds like they won't be using the January break at all we can't even guarantee having every midweek free.

What an absolute farce this season has turned into. 

Yeah, we'll end up sacrificing Europe or the FA Cup to not qualify for Europe in the league. I hope we understand the predicament we are in and that really the cups now are our priority as long as there's no danger of us going down. I know we get £2m a league place so we're going to want to finish top half but I do hope we rotate the squad for PL games either side of Europe and not vice versa.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, we'll end up sacrificing Europe or the FA Cup to not qualify for Europe in the league. I hope we understand the predicament we are in and that really the cups now are our priority as long as there's no danger of us going down. I know we get £2m a league place so we're going to want to finish top half but I do hope we rotate the squad for PL games either side of Europe and not vice versa.

My big fear about this season. The reality of our league campaign is we'll finish 8th-10th. We're miles ahead of a relegation battle but we're going to have to put together probably top 4 form for the rest of the season to get into Europe. Not impossible but hard to see it with this many players out (and counting).

I think we'll go overly weak in Europe and pay the price.

We're basically going to have a longer than usual drawn out end of season. Will be incredibly dull.

19 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Our situation is still worse than Burnley's. At least they have most midweeks free.

Given it sounds like they won't be using the January break at all we can't even guarantee having every midweek free.

What an absolute farce this season has turned into. 

Yep the other teams that have it rough (Spurs, Leeds, Burnley and Watford) all have plenty of time to fulfil their fixtures.

Burnley, Leeds and Watford are already out of the FA Cup and Spurs are out of Europe.

Think we have something like 3 free midweeks.

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agree, I’ll be pissed off if we sacrifice the conference league. That’s our best way back into Europe in my opinion.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Burnley keep this up and surely they are going to have to end up forfeiting games or something? Already 6 games behind

I imagine that's what it'll come to if they can't fit all the games in. Standard '3-0 loss' applied. Or points deductions?

That might hurt them more when it comes to the end of the season. However having read the other comments, seems like there'll be enough time later on in the season to play them. And I imagine that's what Burnley themselves have taken into account when also postponing these games.

15 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Everton Manager Wanted:

- Derby managers preferred (must have experience with shit owners)

- No qualifications necessary

- All applicants considered

Why are people obsessed with qualifications or experience? 

Pep and Zidane only had reserve team experience before taking the 2 biggest jobs. And they've been very successful. 

I think football management is definitely a case of whether you've either got it or you haven't for ex players. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Imagine starting off the season tasked with impossibly saving Derby from relegation with a 21 point deduction, doing a bloody good job of it half way, then finishing the season getting Everton relegated. A boy can dream.

reality-dreams-reality-dreams-father-dou

Rooney's spoken before about being a type of person that doesn't givie up, we saw it in his playing days, so I doubt he'll walk on Derby regardless of it being Everton.

He's done good work at Derby and if (maybe when) he keeps them in the division that will be such a success for him. I just can't see him throwing that away.

2 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Pep and Zidane only had reserve team experience before taking the 2 biggest jobs. And they've been very successful. 

I think football management is definitely a case of whether you've either got it or you haven't for ex players. 

I suppose because it's very difficult to gauge whether inexperienced managers have " got it " or not. There's a huge risk giving them a go but then again managers are so difficult to get right these days anyway.

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I suppose because it's very difficult to gauge whether inexperienced managers have " got it " or not. There's a huge risk giving them a go but then again managers are so difficult to get right these days anyway.

Its always a gamble though. Look at Rafa at Everton when most thought it was a safe appointment. 

Rather roll the dice with an unknown than go for someone who we know will be shit but has experience personally. 

22 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Rooney's spoken before about being a type of person that doesn't givie up, we saw it in his playing days, so I doubt he'll walk on Derby regardless of it being Everton.

He's done good work at Derby and if (maybe when) he keeps them in the division that will be such a success for him. I just can't see him throwing that away.

Sorry but if Rooney is offered the Everton job (big if) he walks barefoot to Merseyside without any hesitation.

• Like 1

I can't believe there are suggestions on here that Rooney wouldn't take the Everton job if he was offered it. Everton are a much bigger club and despite being in a mess at the minute, their problems are completely insignificant compared to Derby's. Of course managing Everton brings a different type of pressure, such as dealing with egos and having higher expectations but Derby's predicament is much tougher. This is before I have even mentioned his obvious links to the club. 

• Like 1

You have to remember that in every major league you need an Everton, you need a Newcastle. You need teams who are basket cases, or have hugely overhyped opinions of themselves but can't back it up with success.

It's what makes it so entertaining. Imagine if you had 10 fantastic, top teams, well managed with long-term managers. Slick signings and a well oiled machine generally. Then you have 10 other teams who battle for mid-table whilst surviving relegation but are bland as anything (Soton, Burnley etc.)

Everton and Newcastle are gifts. Their fans are perennially unhappy, their owners are either useless or cause the unhappiness, they both think they're deserving of something greater and it is a pure joy to witness it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

For every one of the successful ones they're tens of flops. 

Neville, Shearer, Pirlo to name 3 at a glance.

18 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

For every one of the successful ones they're tens of flops. 

Neville, Shearer, Pirlo to name 3 at a glance.

Sure. But it does work sometimes. 

Who is to say one of this golden generation crop isn't going to be a top manager? They might get it right.