Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Fixed

Not quite true. Huge sectors of the British public have fallen for the American model of football. 

There was a shift in language a while back and people got all excited with the opportunity to refer to a footballer as a 'quarter back'.  The linguistic shift from 'Leicester are...' to 'Leicester is...' was another small but steady transition. Same with n managers becoming coaches. 

Then we started to host American football over here and suddenly things like tailgating and the like were in vogue. Its a slow process but this is the inevitable resolution of it. The British public have, for whatever reason, embraced the idea of an americanised relationship with sports and are starting to move away from the traditional models. 

Just my view of it but it seems to be being borne out. 

Wouldn’t mind the offside line moving to the edge of the penalty area rather than the halfway line. It would reduce the numbers of incidents spread the game. Having a live visible clock should be a must.

• Like 1

I'd agree with that. I don't remember anyone giving a flying fvch about NFL when I was a lad. We maybe enjoyed a bit of basketball at school but sports were football, rugby, cricket and sometimes tennis. 

Brits and Europeans will NOT take to this, in general. It's a desperate attempt to get the American market, which can fvch off. Superbowl can't even get 100 million viewers. Compare that to engagement with Euro or South American cups.

4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Not quite true. Huge sectors of the British public have fallen for the American model of football. 

There was a shift in language a while back and people got all excited with the opportunity to refer to a footballer as a 'quarter back'.  The linguistic shift from 'Leicester are...' to 'Leicester is...' was another small but steady transition. Same with n managers becoming coaches. 

Then we started to host American football over here and suddenly things like tailgating and the like were in vogue. Its a slow process but this is the inevitable resolution of it. The British public have, for whatever reason, embraced the idea of an americanised relationship with sports and are starting to move away from the traditional models. 

Interesting, the effort to move in this direction is clear, the most obvious case being the ESL, but I must confess that I had not noted the subtler cases you illustrate.

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Interesting, the effort to move in this direction is clear, the most obvious case being the ESL, but I must confess that I had not noted the subtler cases you illustrate.

It's a slow process. The shift to 'matchday experience' the other day was particularly upsetting. 

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It's a slow process. The shift to 'matchday experience' the other day was particularly upsetting. 

Match day Magazine for Footy programme, but then I guess it used to be just team sheet.

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

Match day Magazine for Footy programme, but then I guess it used to be just team sheet.

I understand progress and change. Sports is in a constant state of flux, of course.

I've just noticed a wilful swerve towards what's American. I suspect that our media, not just journalism but the film and TV, present a sensationalised version of American sports that people find irresistible. There is never a vision of the reality of American sports that demonstrates how poorly treated the fans are. 

I dunno, maybe I'm just ridiculous. 

27 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I understand progress and change. Sports is in a constant state of flux, of course.

I've just noticed a wilful swerve towards what's American. I suspect that our media, not just journalism but the film and TV, present a sensationalised version of American sports that people find irresistible. There is never a vision of the reality of American sports that demonstrates how poorly treated the fans are. 

I dunno, maybe I'm just ridiculous. 

I sincerely hope that's how it will turn out....

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Who exactly is referring to Leicester as an "it" and not a "they"? Fans don't even do that here in Canada for the most part, and football is probably one of the three most-watched sports behind Ice Hockey and the NBA. The culture is pretty much American in nature but apart from TSN commentators drafted in from other sports who don't know their offside from their arsehide, I can't recall a single time I've heard someone unironically refer to a football team as anything other than "they" or "we".

I might start listening when I hear people unironically bringing cringe-fests I hear here like "scoring on a corner", "zero-zero tie" and "defensive zone" into the daily lexicon - but I've yet to come across any of that crap from British fans and probably never will. I was completely thrown the other day by someone referring to an artificial pitch as "turf" too. Turf is grass. :blink:

The quarter-back thing was ironic. Nobody's calling any Centre-mid playmaker that without a smirk on their face, and I haven't heard it from a commentator in about 10 years now. lol

As for the actual suggestions in that tweet, I'd definitely be open to trialling a stop-clock, 30 minute half game in a competition where it could be tested without being the wrecking ball to the flow of the game that VAR ended up. Maybe in a domestic cup like the League Cup or something (not sure they could justify doing it in the FA Cup as I don't know what sort of extra gear they'd need to implement it, and non-league teams might not be able to afford it on an experimental basis.

Kick-ins could be fun - like others have said, changes the dynamic of those balls completely, and a touchline ball anywhere near the penalty area becomes as anticipated as a corner overnight. Would make the game a lot more attack minded.

Unlimited subs are where I draw the line. Horrible idea that really would make the game change completely from a tactical standpoint and benefit bigger squads. When you still have teams further down the leagues struggling to even name a first XI for games, why should opponents with deeper pockets and resources get an upper hand by being able to rotate more legs throughout?

Edited by OntarioFox

8 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Who exactly is referring to Leicester as an "it" and not a "they"? Fans don't even do that here in Canada for the most part, and football is probably one of the three most-watched sports behind Ice Hockey and the NBA. The culture is pretty much American in nature but apart from TSN commentators drafted in from other sports who don't know their offside from their arsehide, I can't recall a single time I've heard someone unironically refer to a football team as anything other than "they" or "we".

I might start listening when I hear people unironically bringing cringe-fests I hear here like "scoring on a corner", "zero-zero tie" and "defensive zone" into the daily lexicon - but I've yet to come across any of that crap from British fans and probably never will.

The quarter-back thing was ironic. Nobody's calling any Centre-mid playmaker that without a smirk on their face, and I haven't heard it from a commentator in about 10 years now. lol

On the first point there are people on this very forum that use '[CLUBNAME] is' as the subject/verb agreement. Its in papers and on match of the day. It's very much part of the culture of football in the UK. 

It's hard to find examples of this as it's a colloquialism but it's present and prescient and I notice it daily. We've had the discussion on here before.  I will point these out to you as I see them, I assure you there will be plenty. 

Ditto for the quarter back role:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog/name/93/post/1839858/headline

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1207191/Jamie-Redknapp-Why-Liverpools-Steven-Gerrard-misses-quarterback-Xabi-Alonso.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2465702-the-story-of-steven-gerrards-liverpool-career-in-20-games.amp.html

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/jerome-boateng-soccer-quarterback-bayern-munich-516173.jsp

These are just the very easy examples to find I remember Tyler mentioning it last season. And on and on and on and on and on and on. 

Respectfully, you're wrong on both counts. But these are just small, incremental changes that have contributed to the greater attempt at americanisation of football. I mean, it's happening. Look at it. 30 minute halves (hello USA 94). The commodification of every little bit of the 'experience' - buy yourself a ball boy position! The ****ing super league that nearly attempted to cripple the pyramid for a franchise model mere months ago. I mean it's happening before our eyes. 

31 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

On the first point there are people on this very forum that use '[CLUBNAME] is' as the subject/verb agreement. Its in papers and on match of the day. It's very much part of the culture of football in the UK. 

It's hard to find examples of this as it's a colloquialism but it's present and prescient and I notice it daily. We've had the discussion on here before.  I will point these out to you as I see them, I assure you there will be plenty. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1207191/Jamie-Redknapp-Why-Liverpools-Steven-Gerrard-misses-quarterback-Xabi-Alonso.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2465702-the-story-of-steven-gerrards-liverpool-career-in-20-games.amp.html

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/jerome-boateng-soccer-quarterback-bayern-munich-516173.jsp

These are just the very easy examples to find I remember Tyler mentioning it last season. And on and on and on and on and on and on. 

Respectfully, you're wrong on both counts. But these are just small, incremental changes that have contributed to the greater attempt at americanisation of football. I mean, it's happening. Look at it. 30 minute halves (hello USA 94). The commodification of every little bit of the 'experience' - buy yourself a ball boy position! The ****ing super league that nearly attempted to cripple the pyramid for a franchise model mere months ago. I mean it's happening before our eyes. 

On our language being Americanised, I agree. Americanisms creep in to our vocabulary all the time with little to no resistance. I hate it, but I've come to accept it's an unwinnable war. So much of our media is from their side of the pond - it's bound to happen.

On the sport itself changing - I can't see it happening. I think you have a point about people trying to change it, with the Super League being the best example, but just look at how that went down. It was about as welcome as a bout of explosive diarrhea in a stuck lift. The owners of the super clubs had no idea how sacred the game is to the people of Europe. They won't stand for it being messed around with.

41 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

In my defence, I've long since tuned out anything Martin Tyler says as the ramblings of a world-weary seratonin sponge. lol

I don't think you're really proving the point of the Quarterback being an acknowledged term with those links. Two American-based websites writing primarily for American audiences, one link from 2009 (which would seek to prove my belief that nobody has been seriously trying to "make it a thing" in the UK for at least a decade) and a Bundesliga article (not relevant to our fan culture) doing its best to explain what a Quarterback actually is to a German audience that probably doesn't care.

But I acknowledge there are creeping corporatisations of the game, certainly. I remember being away at somewhere like Wigan and them having sponsored corners. I've spent the past couple of days taking the piss out of my Reading fan mate for their ground being renamed toe Select Car Leasing Stadium. Tinpot to the highest degree in both cases. But not Americanisation by any means - our selling out of the game for TV and sponsorship money is a very global affair and one the UK, if anywhere, has led since the Premier League was created. If you can sponsor it or commodify it, you bet clubs will. Hell, people on here still fetishise the IND Coope shirt as an all-time classic, but it was still a case of the club selling itself for a few extra quid, long before the USA even registered in the minds of fans in this country.

Did they really have half-hour halves in USA 94? Or am I being gullible. :blink:

Just now, foxile5 said:

Can't see any confirmation he's been arrested anywhere. Where is this info coming from? 

It's just a Twitter rumour by the looks of it.

Probably started by the same guy who said James Rodriguez was off form because he's having a sex change lol

6 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Did they really have half-hour halves in USA 94? Or am I being gullible. :blink:

I'll address the rest when I'm not tired but the USA 94 reference was if the attempt to change the timings of the game - I think to 4 quarters but it just chimes with the 30 minus stoppages : https://bleacherreport.com/articles/437417-sepp-blatter-some-of-his-worst-ideas