Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm going to sound really patronising here but people see Watford as some sort of joke. I actually don't get it. It's not the way that I would want Leicester to be run but they have been the premier league for six of the past seven seasons, which for Watford is damn good going seeing as their owners are not actually very wealthy compared to the rest of the premier league. It has clearly works for them. 

I see your point but I think the problem for most as how they have treated their managers in the past. Under Pearson they had survival in their hands but decided to sack which basically cost them there premier league status. They have kind of bought their own problems to them they were better of sticking with the original guy before Ranieri came in.

• Like 1

It worked for a while staying in the PL and as you say Pearson gave us a chance but something happened and we got relegated.

Then we had Ivic who the players particularly Troy Deeney didn’t get oh with so he went .

Munoz did a decent job but never felt the fans took to him and there was a lot of pressure on him at the start of the season .

The fans and players liked Ranieri but recent results went against him unfortunately.

Roy Hodgson of all people has been heavily backed .

Be a very bizarre left field appointment but he did work at Udinese with the Pozzos but left after 6 months without a lot of good to say about them .

Edited by Super_horns

Feel bad for claudio. He should have retired after the title win tbh. He was the key that opened the door to it, he opened the gates to the best form of those players that nigel had got. Regardless if he didn't want to retire i don't get why he didn't stay in italy. Watford job is carincerous anyways. Decent squad but no chemistry. Reminds me of armies bringing private contractors. Mercenaries. 

• Like 1

Interesting hypothetical, would you rather be a supporter of Watford or Burnley over the last 7 seasons?

Two vastly different approaches, Burnley with one manager and Watford changing 2 or 3 times a season. 
Both have had 6 of the last 7 seasons in the top flight, both when relegated bounced back immediately.

Watford have had an FA Cup final appearance in that time, whilst Burnley usually go out very early in the cups.

Burnley did finish 7th and qualified for Europe, although they did go out in the qualifying round.

So which is a better approach? Who would you be happier with if you were a fan?

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

Interesting hypothetical, would you rather be a supporter of Watford or Burnley over the last 7 seasons?

Two vastly different approaches, Burnley with one manager and Watford changing 2 or 3 times a season. 
Both have had 6 of the last 7 seasons in the top flight, both when relegated bounced back immediately.

Watford have had an FA Cup final appearance in that time, whilst Burnley usually go out very early in the cups.

Burnley did finish 7th and qualified for Europe, although they did go out in the qualifying round.

Burnley.

While they are struggling this season and may yet go down, their approach always felt sustainable. As you say they even managed a 7th finish. 

Watford have seemingly always been a few results away from collapse. I'm amazed to read they've managed 6 of the last 7 seasons in the Prem.

Bear in mind as well that Burnley have done what they've done on relative pennies.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Interesting one. 
the obvious initial response is to say Burnley. 
History does show that longevity tends to correlate with success. Maybe that’s because if managers don’t cut the mustard they get the axe. If they are successful they stay on. Watford management take the view that they don’t wait for things to change or turnaround and that they actively intervene and make things happen. Given the quality of managers they have had they may be right. They have a similar record to Burnley as you say. I think from a supporters point of view it is whatever gets the best results at the end of the day be that in league success and/or football quality. 
Any manager going to Watford must know what is on the cards. 

Whoever takes over the poisoned chalice at Watford they will just be another one in a long line who have hired and fired in quick succession.

It is the owners who need to change not their managers. Seems they either have no idea or ideas above their station!!

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

It has to be Burnley, I rate Dyche, I personally hope they stay up.

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Must be difficult for Watford fans to have a connection with the club when it's constantly in a state of change. It doesn't seem to have a philosophy or identity thus difficult to understand what they are. Burnley, on the other hand, have those things but I'm not sure that as a fan I would like what they have. 

Just now, BenTheFox said:

Hodgson could actually prove to be a very sensible appointment. 

Agreed, his Palace spell was steady rather than spectacular but they were never in serious trouble in a full season there.

If you're going short term you could do a lot worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Whoever takes over the poisoned chalice at Watford they will just be another one in a long line who have hired and fired in quick succession.

It is the owners who need to change not their managers. Seems they either have no idea or ideas above their station!!

I can't agree with that. In terms of on the pitch performance, they have overseen the most successful period in the club's history since they were owned by Elton John in the mid-eighties. For them to have spent 6 of the last 7 seasons in the premier league is success for them, given their limited finances. 

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

Agreed, his Palace spell was steady rather than spectacular but they were never in serious trouble in a full season there.

If you're going short term you could do a lot worse.

Agree.  yet the subsequent introduction of viera shows how a more aspiring more could produce benefits.