Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Watford get grief but their approach sort of works. Norwich stuck with Farke through a relegation and what certainly would have been another if they hadn't sacked him. Near enough every promoted club from 2019 onwards has massively struggled in their first or second season back up. Sticking with Munoz or Ranieri would have relegated them, given the dearth of quality at the bottom they could well stay up still.

When you go to Watford as a manager you know the situation, you aren't likely to get two-three years to stay in place and build something. They aren't leading people on, everyone knows what to expect especially if results aren't great even fairly soon after being appointed.

If managers don't like it they won't go there. They always find somebody though.

42 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Hodgson could actually prove to be a very sensible appointment. 

Never suffered relegation so yeah sensible in the short term. But wow when on earth is he going to retire. Hes managed about 30 clubs in his career. As I said another post some time ago this is who I think Newcastle should have gone for as an interim. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

32 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I can't agree with that. In terms of on the pitch performance, they have overseen the most successful period in the club's history since they were owned by Elton John in the mid-eighties. For them to have spent 6 of the last 7 seasons in the premier league is success for them, given their limited finances. 

Well, of course, you can compare and you can figures to back your argument but at the end of the day in recent years i.e. since the Pozzi family's takeover their record of hiring managers/coaches is not good and in my opinion is one of the many things that is wrong with football.

It really is akin to the infamous Mandaric quote "if it takes me 20 managers..............................". Stability at a manager level is just as important as the playing staff.

Just now, David Hankey said:

Well, of course, you can compare and you can figures to back your argument but at the end of the day in recent years i.e. since the Pozzi family's takeover their record of hiring managers/coaches is not good and in my opinion is one of the many things that is wrong with football.

It really is akin to the infamous Mandaric quote "if it takes me 20 managers..............................". Stability at a manager level is just as important as the playing staff.

I certainly don't want Leicester to be run that way, but I can think of far worse owners in terms of their impact on what is happening on the pitch.

The way things are looking 30 points maybe enough to secure a top flight finish. But wow it seems to get less every year. I mean I try and work out how this is possible. Are teams less going for the win when they face the bigger clubs and settling for draws. I seem to recall a few years ago I think Birmingham or Blackpool getting relegated with 42 points!

5 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

The way things are looking 30 points maybe enough to secure a top flight finish. But wow it seems to get less every year. I mean I try and work out how this is possible. Are teams less going for the win when they face the bigger clubs and settling for draws. I seem to recall a few years ago I think Birmingham or Blackpool getting relegated with 42 points!

The top clubs are back to spending loads of £, so it's no longer quite as competitive as it was for a while.

16 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I certainly don't want Leicester to be run that way, but I can think of far worse owners in terms of their impact on what is happening on the pitch.

I agree, there are many. And many who are in football for the wrong reasons.

I think they mean well and care about football/the club doiyng some very good things off the pitch in the community and with the ground but clearly they are very ruthless which we aren’t used to here and have a bit of a hit and miss policy on transfers but then all clubs do I guess ?

Least we won’t need to pay Hodgson off too much as it’s only a deal till the end of the season !

Edited by Super_horns

why do Watford bother with a manager at all. There are other solutions to picking a team and tactic and speaking to the media.

managers are kinda figureheads in my mind..perhaps Watford owners are at the forefront of a new way of sports management...they just need to go full hog and in 3 years time they will be top half of premier league with a team voted for by watford fans

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adrian said:

why do Watford bother with a manager at all. There are other solutions to picking a team and tactic and speaking to the media.

managers are kinda figureheads in my mind..perhaps Watford owners are at the forefront of a new way of sports management...they just need to go full hog and in 3 years time they will be top half of premier league with a team voted for by watford fans

If they don't have a manager, who are they going to be sacking every 3 months?

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Oh fvck me don't let Hodgson back in the Prem.

Makes Dyche look like Guardiola. So fvcking negative. 

If it gets them more points than Newcastle, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

Say what you like about the lunatics in charge at Watford but they are capable of  getting some proper managers through the door . God knows how . No disrespect to the Club and @superhorns but this treatment of managers is borderline bringing the game in to disrepute ( is that still a thing ?:D)

they look less less and less like fit and proper custodians of a premiership club 

but after Newcastle ....

Just for one of those random comparisons, the youngest player in the Watford team listed on Wiki is Shaqui Forde, born in 2004 (played against us apparently.)

In Roy's first managerial spell at Halmstad in 1976, he managed Hans Selander, who was born in March 1945. He'll have managed players nearly 70 years apart in birth, one of whom was literally born during the Second World War. Iconic.

Edited by Footballwipe

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Just for one of those random comparisons, the youngest player in the Watford team listed on Wiki is Shaqui Forde, born in 2004 (played against us apparently.)

In Roy's first managerial spell at Halmstad in 1976, he managed Hans Selander, who was born in March 1945. He'll have managed players nearly 80 years apart in birth, one of whom was literally born during the Second World War. Iconic.

I take it Maths wasn't your strongest subject in school ;) 

Edited by BenTheFox

19 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

What’s happened to ol Elton? Haven’t seen him at a home game in a long time?

maybe he grew tired of the team “breaking his heart” :P

He’s switched his allegiance to Coventry 

I guess that’s why they call them the blues 

• Haha 1