Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

9 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Ordinarily I would love Roy H.

He's a man of culture who speaks other languages and has managed abroad, and has been near the top echelons of management for a long time. 

He's now so old, he's cute.

But he under-used Vardy at his devastating peak, he took Jack Wheelchair in 2016 instead of an in-form Drinkwater and had a really talented group of England players playing negative, fearful football and lost to Iceland.

It's unforgivable, really.

Absolutely baffling he got Euro 2016 after such a poor World Cup two years prior, he should've been bombed out seconds after the 0-0 with Costa Rica.

Hodgson just seems like one of those people who absolutely detests the thought of not working. It's almost impressive how he's still getting chances at 74 in this era of ever-younger coaches being tried. New ways of working etc. It could well be that his well-travelled, cultured personality that helps him at this age. I hope I have his alert brain and work ethic when I'm 74, that's for sure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vacamion said:

But he under-used Vardy at his devastating peak, he took Jack Wheelchair in 2016 instead of an in-form Drinkwater and had a really talented group of England players playing negative, fearful football and lost to Iceland.

I dunno, mate, England's only one part of the nation. 3 out of 4 constituent countries of the UK would vote to Knight him for Iceland. 

Superb work. Never gets old. 

Awise, sur Woy.

Edited by Finnegan

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I dunno, mate, England's only one part of the nation. 3 out of 4 constituent countries of the UK would vote to Knight him for Iceland. 

Awise, sur Woy.

Roy did a fantastic job of lowering my expectations to a point where I was really happy to see Sam Allardyce being given the England job. Having said that, Hodgson is very much proven in managing small/medium-sized premier league clubs and is generally a safe pair of hands for this type of job. Whether this is a job too far remains to be seen.  

Watford is such an uninspiring club. A club with little to no identity. Norwich get ridiculed for the constant pro & rel but Watford have only been marginally more successful than Norwich in recent years. 

8 minutes ago, Koke said:

Watford is such an uninspiring club. A club with little to no identity. Norwich get ridiculed for the constant pro & rel but Watford have only been marginally more successful than Norwich in recent years. 

I guess the only difference is we stayed in the Premier league for 5 seasons (when managers at least stayed a season! ) but yes over the last couple of years it has become messy and with no real planning. 

Trouble is our squad particularly the defence has been the same for a while without any real improvements as you would have seen in our 2 meetings made to it whilst the midfield is  hit and miss.

Since 2019 really - a lot of money has been wasted and focus on buying players to actually make the team better has been lost with the odd exception.

And naturally due to relegation we had a high turnover of players losing the better ones generally. 

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 3

There is a cliche that when a company has a glowing profile in the business media about it or its owner, that's a sign that things are going to go wrong as it suggests hubris or complacency.

The Financial Times did a big feature on how well Watford are run and their scouting strategy, and since then, they've struggled:

https://www.ft.com/content/4bb66cd4-dc9b-11e8-8f50-cbae5495d92b

10 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I guess the only difference is we stayed in the Premier league for 5 seasons (when managers at least stayed a season! ) but yes over the last couple of years it has become messy and with no real planning. 

Trouble is our squad particularly the defence has been the same for a while without any real improvements as you would have seen in our 2 meetings made to it whilst the midfield is  hit and miss.

Since 2019 really - a lot of money has been wasted and focus on buying players to actually make the team better has been lost with the odd exception.

And naturally due to relegation we had a high turnover of players losing the better ones generally. 

I admire Roy's appetite for the game at 74. I know he will be well paid but even so we'll done to him.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Awise, sur Woy.

I actually think that might be part of it.  His incompetence allowed Scottish colleagues and acquaintances to smirk at me and mention Iceland.  That always stings a little.

He even made Wales look good, FFS.

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

There is a cliche that when a company has a glowing profile in the business media about it or its owner, that's a sign that things are going to go wrong as it suggests hubris or complacency.

The Financial Times did a big feature on how well Watford are run and their scouting strategy, and since then, they've struggled:

https://www.ft.com/content/4bb66cd4-dc9b-11e8-8f50-cbae5495d92b

Guy on 5live was saying the other week their system doesn't work so effectively now as all teams have access to videos/DVDs and scouts all around the world.

I am not sure who decided it was a good idea to pay £18 million for Andre Gray and pay him 70k a week!

:blink:

That is a good example of the bad purchasing we have done.

Hasn't been a Richarlison type player since who we sold for big big money.

Even Sarr was probably too much at 30/40 million and I doubt we will get  much of a profit if at all .

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Ordinarily I would love Roy H.

He's a man of culture who speaks other languages and has managed abroad, and has been near the top echelons of management for a long time. 

He's now so old, he's cute.

Should never have got the job. I said at the time I'd have preferred Redknapp.

But in terms of solid PL job I think Watford can do worse.

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Guy on 5live was saying the other week their system doesn't work so effectively now as all teams have access to videos/DVDs and scouts all around the world.

I am not sure who decided it was a good idea to pay £18 million for Andre Gray and pay him 70k a week!

:blink:

That is a good example of the bad purchasing we have done.

Hasn't been a Richarlison type player since who we sold for big big money.

Even Sarr was probably too much at 30/40 million and I doubt we will get  much of a profit if at all .

Joao Pedro has the potential to be a Richarlison does he not? You got him for a very modest fee before there was then serious interest from bigger clubs but you'd already got the agreement. I like the look of him.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Joao Pedro has the potential to be a Richarlison does he not? You got him for a very modest fee before there was then serious interest from bigger clubs but you'd already got the agreement. I like the look of him.

By that you mean a whinging arsey cheat right, blatantly tried getting VDC sent off 

26 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

By that you mean a whinging arsey cheat right, blatantly tried getting VDC sent off 

Yeah, our players would definitely not make a meal out of being hacked down accidentally on the edge of the box when already on a booking.

2 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Glad its changed but I still think four is generous to call a match off. Six or more I think.

Yeah I think it's a bit low. Bit at least it's not based in available players any more, which was a stupid rule.