Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

29 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60244442

Clearly not in the same league or as high profile, but directly related to the discussions regarding clubs employing convicted offenders. The sponsors and some club staff had walked due to signing Goodwillie.

It’s pretty baffling that they even considered it in the first place. 

A few financial notes from the January window...

- Premier League clubs (£295M) spent nearly as much as those in La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 combined (£317M)

- Newcastle accounted for nearly a third of that PL spending

- The majority of PL clubs kept their powder dry

- Nine spent nothing on transfer fees, and two others (Burnley and Man City) had negative net spends

- Spurs would also recoup more than they spent IF Dele becomes a regular at Everton

683397014_Jan22window.JPG.0155f31a70a638a0e54e7a5dc5c332a4.JPG

17 minutes ago, stu said:

Harsh on Lewis but it was always going to be two between him, Dummett and Manquillo as Trippier and Targett's cover.

Saying that, he's probably only lower Prem / upper championship quality anyway.

Should players that are left out of squads be allowed to leave on a free outside the transfer window, I guess ii would be difficult to another club at the same level but sitting around not playing for months on end is not helping their careers.

12 minutes ago, davieG said:

Should players that are left out of squads be allowed to leave on a free outside the transfer window, I guess ii would be difficult to another club at the same level but sitting around not playing for months on end is not helping their careers.

Which one of those do you fancy here?

• Haha 1

On 01/02/2022 at 16:38, Super_horns said:

80% of Premier league players have been doubled vaccinated.

Good news so many have been but clearly if they can get even more to be then the better. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60218414

So 20% of Premier League footballers haven't been vaccinated. I think that's poor. Some won't be playing in European away legs soon. 

There was a very good professor on Question Time last night that really explained it very well to a couple of 'hesitant' audience members. Still quite a few that need to be educated, it seems. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

Pre 25 man squads, there have always been a number of players who trained but never got a sniff of playing - the difference with these guys is that they know that they don’t have to keep their fitness up as they won’t be playing.  But presumably they will be part of everyday training if they so choose. 
is there an option for them to have their contracts paid up and be released ??  some of the newcastle boys don’t have a future there. 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

is there an option for them to have their contracts paid up and be released ??  some of the newcastle boys don’t have a future there. 

That's what I was thinking of.

You could allow them to be named as reserves and be included in the named squads as injury replacements.

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

Great question. The key point here is do the clubs and players have to agree or does this only require the players agreement. I suspect this is more topical for the biggest richest clubs. From a players point of view I think it’s a good idea but clubs they only have to wait six months to sort out the issue and many are prepared to sit on their assets. That said smaller clubs would probably be interested as finances are tighter. Does anyone know if this has been considered by the authorities/ legalities? I’m guessing at present this would have to be an agreement in the contract. 

1 hour ago, fazzyfox said:

Bruce going to West Brom having managed at Villa and Birmingham could make for a good trivia question in years to come. 

Who else has done this?

Send your answers to "Ron Saunders competition" and win a copy of Ron Saunders autobiography. I know, it's a tough one isn't it.

He loves managing a local rival , Sunderland and Newcastle, Sheff Utd,Sheff Weds, Huddersfield and Hull....

• Like 1