Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Apparently the rules are not confusing according to someone who knows the regulations and VAR operations 

Yesterday he says it was not handball and goes on to argue that it isn’t handball with several replies to different people 

seems he has a different opinion today in his VAR round up from the weekend 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

What did he say?

27 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Basically that because it wasn’t clear where the ball struck, that it was reasonable to stick with the on field call 

the two ex pros both said it was handball 

The usual defending of what most people think is wrong - even West Ham supporters who I know. Total bullshit.

I think he also cited that because it was above the shirt arm line it was deemed to be ok - but might be wrong as watched it earlier and am still angry.

18 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

Apparently the rules are not confusing according to someone who knows the regulations and VAR operations 

Yesterday he says it was not handball and goes on to argue that it isn’t handball with several replies to different people 

seems he has a different opinion today in his VAR round up from the weekend 

For me usually I'd say theres nothing wrong with that goal as I'd say it's too close to call and would give the benefit of doubt to the attacker. However considering the goals we've seen chalked off for less. I mean shows lack of constancy.

That Dawson incident is just one of them, that could go either way, and we just do not seem to get a lot of those this season. Its frustrating, but lets hope for the good karma to return when we are playing better and really need it.

30 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Expecting stick for this but life would be so much more straight forward if the handball rule was 'if the ball hits your arm, it's handball' like it is with your feet in Hockey. 

Please no ……hockey is terrible in the way that players try to play the ball against opponents feet rather than trying to actually go forward and score! 

and you are right to expect posts disagreeing ! 

39 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Expecting stick for this but life would be so much more straight forward if the handball rule was 'if the ball hits your arm, it's handball' like it is with your feet in Hockey. 

I actually agree, but I think of majority of footballs fans are against it as they think it would be abused to gain fouls deliberately.

Edited by Chrysalis

2 hours ago, Koke said:

This has triggered a few people. I agree with Aguerro though. 

Lampard gets knocked because he played for what was seen as a plastic, new money club. His record is phenomenal and the best manager in the world at the time picked him every week.

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I think for scoring goals 100%. For penalties it needs to be fine tuned, similar to now.

• Like 1

We just need refs to have some common sense and when they make a decision come and explain it after.

Why can’t the ref say something like, I know what the rule is but for me that ball has hit Dawson on his arm and gone in so cancel it please. If he gives this explanation after I’m sure most fans would be fine about it. I can’t stand how they hide behind the letter of the law, use your discretion you useless yes men. No accountability for how bad the officials are in this country! Are other countries this bad?

The problem with football is there's lots in rules that's can be interpreted differently. And any move to try and make those rules more fixed just brings equally as many problems as the multiple interpretation.

I prefer it where we can look at each individual case and assess it. Imo in the Dawson case, whilst it might have hit the high part of his arm, rather than that being close to his body, he has flung it out and lead with it to propel the ball into the net. Its not just hit the top of his arm, he's hit the ball with his arm. That's where there needs to be interpretation allowed and that where VAR should be being used to help see these things better, but its not it's just bring used as something to hide behind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Really bad idea for me. Would be very easy to be abused.

Wouldn’t be long til managers tell attackers to start chipping it up at a defenders arm by his side on purpose from 1 yard away to get a guaranteed penalty. You’d probably end up with a sport which has 2 or 3 penalties a game and players who are good at chipping up to a players arm from 2 yards would become sought after.

Even though it makes it subjective which does lead to dodgy decisions, the idea that a handball must be deliberate is definitely a good move.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

why are utd playing today?

It’s a free midweek for games in hand so long as neither team is playing in Europe.

We would probably be playing one of our games in hand vs Norwich or Everton too if we weren’t in the Conference League

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

The usual defending of what most people think is wrong - even West Ham supporters who I know. Total bullshit.

I think he also cited that because it was above the shirt arm line it was deemed to be ok - but might be wrong as watched it earlier and am still angry.

It should be the whole ball or at least enough to not be in doubt should be within the sleeve for it nit to be handball. Ridiculous rule