Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

What I don’t get withe the Dawson goal is everyone agrees it is an incredibly tight decision - Why then hasn’t the referee been instructed to go to the monitor and have a closer look?

As the person who is in charge of making the biggest decision in the game, shouldn’t he at the very least be looking closely and getting as much evidence as possible before making a call.

• Like 3

Just now, AjcW said:

Ahh okay, I was trying to work out the 8:15 kick off time lol 

I also wonder if it's to do with European games? PL games can't be televised while CL or EL/ECL games are? Unless that's some random rule I've just thought of lol

Just now, StanSP said:

I also wonder if it's to do with European games? PL games can't be televised while CL or EL/ECL games are? Unless that's some random rule I've just thought of lol

I think the original rule was they’re not even allowed to be played never mind televised!

18 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

What I don’t get withe the Dawson goal is everyone agrees it is an incredibly tight decision - Why then hasn’t the referee been instructed to go to the monitor and have a closer look?

As the person who is in charge of making the biggest decision in the game, shouldn’t he at the very least be looking closely and getting as much evidence as possible before making a call.

You have to take your bias out of it buddy. We cant keep moaning that it takes too long to make decisions then demand everyone is looked at. If the video assistant doesnt think it needs over turning and is agreeing with the ref, they have to go with that. 

23 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

You have to take your bias out of it buddy. We cant keep moaning that it takes too long to make decisions then demand everyone is looked at. If the video assistant doesnt think it needs over turning and is agreeing with the ref, they have to go with that. 

It’s not about bias, I’m not saying the decision should have gone one way or the other. I’m saying in a close call what’s the point in the screen if the referee isn’t looking at it.

A clear and obvious decision, absolutely the VAR needs to make a call and just tell the referee.

Here we have an incredibly close call and the referee has made the decision without a clear view of the incident. 
I don’t want every goal examining and we shouldn’t go looking for reasons to rule a goal out. But a close call like this should absolutely be looked at closer. 
If he looks closely at it and rules goal, fine and we move on knowing he’s had the best possible view. The fact is he hasn’t, so what’s the point in the pitch side monitor?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

It’s not about bias, I’m not saying the decision should have gone one way or the other. I’m saying in a close call what’s the point in the screen if the referee isn’t looking at it.

A clear and obvious decision, absolutely the VAR needs to make a call and just tell the referee.

Here we have an incredibly close call and the referee has made the decision without a clear view of the incident. 
I don’t want every goal examining and we shouldn’t go looking for reasons to rule a goal out. But a close call like this should absolutely be looked at closer. 
If he looks closely at it and rules goal, fine and we move on knowing he’s had the best possible view. The fact is he hasn’t, so what’s the point in the pitch side monitor?

Im not saying youre wrong. Personally id rather take the time and get the decisions right. But the overall message from the media has been "it takes too long, speed it up" so if the VAR is agreeing with the on field decision it is protocol not to check. 

If its a close call it will take an extremely long time to analyse and that will simply lead to a ref pressured to make a decision because hes been sent to begin with.  What it also highlights, is that this isnt a 'clear and obvious error' If we are still none the wiser to the decision, him viewing it, by the law, would lead to him still sticking with the decision as its obviously not clear and obvious that it was wrong. 

The ref's cannot win, whatever they do 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

If he looks closely at it and rules goal, fine and we move on knowing he’s had the best possible view. The fact is he hasn’t, so what’s the point in the pitch side monitor?at

I think the important bit here is that Oliver didn’t have a view of the incident. Hence the var cannot be considered to be re reffing the incident, nor could asking Oliver to take a look himself.  However, if the var decides he cannot see evidence of it being handball then you have to assume that Oliver wouldn’t have gone against him, even if he had been asked for his opinion.  The law is the ass here - the t shirt line (lazy name because it’s higher than that and should be called the armpit line) cannot be used because the ball is so large when judged against it. The law needs to reference the ball in relation to that line - part above, completely above etc etc ……

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Im not saying youre wrong. Personally id rather take the time and get the decisions right. But the overall message from the media has been "it takes too long, speed it up" so if the VAR is agreeing with the on field decision it is protocol not to check. 

If its a close call it will take an extremely long time to analyse and that will simply lead to a ref pressured to make a decision because hes been sent to begin with.  What it also highlights, is that this isnt a 'clear and obvious error' If we are still none the wiser to the decision, him viewing it, by the law, would lead to him still sticking with the decision as its obviously not clear and obvious that it was wrong. 

The ref's cannot win, whatever they do 

"Refs cannot win"!! Don't agree, a lot of refs I've seen don't help themselves. I appreciate they see things in real time but for contentious issues they now have VAR and the opportunity to visit a pitch side monitor, what more do they want?

4 hours ago, Koke said:

This has triggered a few people. I agree with Aguerro though. 

Gerrard imo, but people will never agree completely, they'll all have pretty much equal support, and they were all good players. 

Gerrard could do everything the others could do and everything they couldn't. He could play the Lampard attacking role, he could play as the screen in from of the back 4, he could be box to box. He was phenomenal, and dragged an absolutely woeful Liverpool team at times to relative success.

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Great, thanks Lee Hendrie. Doing the comms on Man Utd vs Brighton on SSN soccer special. De Gea makes a save. His comment? 'you need to see this save!'. Cheers mate they don't rerun the highlights as you commentate lol

United booed off at half time. Sounds like dross. Got Brighton draw written all over it.

Guest StevieLynex
5 minutes ago, jamesp26 said:

United booed off at half time. Sounds like dross. Got Brighton draw written all over it.

Brendan's a perfect fit for the Reds

Guest StevieLynex
Just now, jamesp26 said:

Match made in heaven. Fill your boots United.

He could sign Vesty and have him play alongside Maguire, with Perez a replacement for Ronaldo

16 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Gerrard imo, but people will never agree completely, they'll all have pretty much equal support, and they were all good players. 

Gerrard could do everything the others could do and everything they couldn't. He could play the Lampard attacking role, he could play as the screen in from of the back 4, he could be box to box. He was phenomenal, and dragged an absolutely woeful Liverpool team at times to relative success.

For me Scholes was the best. His movement and passing was incredible. Only let down by his questionable tackling but he did the dirty stuff right. Much better than our current crop.