Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Guest StevieLynex
Just now, foxile5 said:

Ronaldo is like a storied and decorated sea captain saluting the sunset on a tanker that's slowly sinking, covered in rust and beyond repair. 

There's a noble melancholy to it. 

Thanks William Shakespeare. Is that the first scene of your next play?

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

For me Scholes was the best. His movement and passing was incredible. Only let down by his questionable tackling but he did the dirty stuff right. Much better than our current crop. 

See you've already mentioned a weakness in his game. I don't think Gerrard had one. Passing, movement, stamina, positioning, vision, tackling, heading, leadership, goalscoring, i could go on. I honestly can't think of what Gerrard was bad at.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

See you've already mentioned a weakness in his game. I don't think Gerrard had one. Passing, movement, stamina, positioning, vision, tackling, heading, leadership, goalscoring, i could go on. I honestly can't think of what Gerrard was bad at.

Winning things, keeping his head and actually having much positional discipline. 

6 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Winning things, keeping his head and actually having much positional discipline. 

6 red cards in 500 games for a midfielder who put a lot of tackles in i dont think thats terrible. Scholes barely tackled in comparison and still got 4 reds.

He won plenty too, relatively for the team he played with at the time. Only thing missing was the league. He dragged a team with likes of Djimi Traore, Djimi ****ing Traore, to a Champion League.

And despite putting in much more defensive work than Scholes, he still out scores and assists him in pretty much the same number of games.

31 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He was actually  quite Good at Slipping over..

One Bad thing...He used the gaffer( Any boss) has the get out.... Too often said "you have to speak to the gaffer"

• Like 1

If you were able to build a time machine and go back to 2003/04 and you could sign one of Gerrard, Lampard or Scholes to help keep us in the PL which would you chose?

For me this is where Gerrard comes into his own, the amount of games he won single handedly, the amount of times in big games he dragged a poor Liverpool side over the line was incredible.

I would have him as captain of any all time Premier  League XI. Lampard would get into the team, IMO Scholes wouldn’t make the squad.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

If you were able to build a time machine and go back to 2003/04 and you could sign one of Gerrard, Lampard or Scholes to help keep us in the PL which would you chose?

For me this is where Gerrard comes into his own, the amount of games he won single handedly, the amount of times in big games he dragged a poor Liverpool side over the line was incredible.

I would have him as captain of any all time Premier  League XI. Lampard would get into the team, IMO Scholes wouldn’t make the squad.

Gerrard I think too. Like you say, the number of games he grabbed by the scruff of the neck would get us out the 💩

I personally thought scholes was the better player though. Just stood out less due to their sides overall quality.

• Like 2

I think the thing for me is if you swap them around would their respective teams have won what they had won. I think if you put Gerrard in the Chelsea or Man Utd teams in place of the other two, they still win their titles and Champions League etc and maybe more. Put Scholes or Lampard into that Liverpool team and do they still win the Champions League, the Fa Cup, Uefa Cup etc and get Champions league qualification. I don't think they would. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Put Lampard into that Liverpool team and do they still win the Champions League, the Fa Cup, Uefa Cup etc and get Champions league qualification. I don't think they would. 

They absolutely would for me, but it's hypothetical anyway! Both greats.

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

That’s the law now ….. or is that your point ? 

Sorry. I meant if someone scores a goal with any part of their arm (like Dawson) then it should be disallowed. Otherwise players can throw themselves into the ball with their arm and score.

However, for penalties, players should not be penalised for any strike of the arm like leg in hockey. It needs to be a clear attempt to handball/unnatural position.

28 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Sorry. I meant if someone scores a goal with any part of their arm (like Dawson) then it should be disallowed. Otherwise players can throw themselves into the ball with their arm and score.

However, for penalties, players should not be penalised for any strike of the arm like leg in hockey. It needs to be a clear attempt to handball/unnatural position.

That’s supposed to be the law now - but they brought in the armpit line to take the shoulder out but as per usual with IFAB, they just screwed it up more than it was 

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Big Six refusing to sign new PL owners charter. One of the main clauses being must qualify for Europe on sporting merit 

Because uefa are proposing CL qualification based on previous performance (Ie uefa Co efficient)  to keep them all onside - it’s a vicious circle 

11 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

Thanks William Shakespeare. Is that the first scene of your next play?

Is anything beyond single syllable words and  overt explanation so complex to you that it needs be compared to the greatest playwright in history? 

Scholes was never consistent for a whole season though. You can argue at his best in individual games he was better, but Lampard and Gerrard were always far better over a season.

If you go back 15 years and ask the same question almost everyone would say Lampard at the actual time they were all at their peak. Lampard had the best individual seasons and would win you far more points over a season than Gerrard or Scholes would.

Scholes and Gerrard started to get talked up more towards the end of their career because of their longevity. But I’d take Lampard at his peak every time, no idea how he is remembered almost the least of those 3 now. He was almost unanimously considered the best of the 3 while they were all playing.

Same with the famous ManUtd midfield 4. Scholes and Giggs are remembered better nowadays for their longevity, but Beckham and Keane had much higher peaks and people would’ve told you Beckham and Keane were the best 2 in that midfield if you asked someone in 2000.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Scholes was never consistent for a whole season though. You can argue at his best in individual games he was better, but Lampard and Gerrard were always far better over a season.

If you go back 15 years and ask the same question almost everyone would say Lampard at the actual time they were all at their peak. Lampard had the best individual seasons and would win you far more points over a season than Gerrard or Scholes would.

Scholes and Gerrard started to get talked up more towards the end of their career because of their longevity. But I’d take Lampard at his peak every time, no idea how he is remembered almost the least of those 3 now. He was almost unanimously considered the best of the 3 while they were all playing.

Same with the famous ManUtd midfield 4. Scholes and Giggs are remembered better nowadays for their longevity, but Beckham and Keane had much higher peaks and people would’ve told you Beckham and Keane were the best 2 in that midfield if you asked someone in 2000.

I think Beckham is definitely retrospectively under-rated, maybe because of the stratospheric fame off the pitch. He was an exceptional footballer. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That’s supposed to be the law now - but they brought in the armpit line to take the shoulder out but as per usual with IFAB, they just screwed it up more than it was 

For me, get rid of that line. Anything that hits side on is arm, if you score with the top of your shoulder then that is OK (although they should be disallowed for being a shiite goal). As you say, they have just made it worse by having that "sleeve" line.

Just now, KrefelderFox666 said:

For me, get rid of that line. Anything that hits side on is arm, if you score with the top of your shoulder then that is OK (although they should be disallowed for being a shiite goal). As you say, they have just made it worse by having that "sleeve" line.

And by having the ‘sleeve line’, they brought the width of the arm into offside (when hanging down by the body)  whereas before, it was drawn down through the armpit 

But if you are allowing the top of the shoulder then I guess offside will remain the same as now. 

• Like 1