Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

56 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Conte is a full on headcase. 

No chance was he ever the right man at the right time for Spurs. He should have waited until the summer for the United job to become available.

Spurs should jack it in and aim for someone like Potter (or Rodgers) in the summer. Both would suit their club much better.

If Rodgers is failing with us , why would Spurs want him. He needs to steady our ship before anybody would go in for him. The chances of us offloading him without financial pain are slim.

Just now, hackneyfox said:

Kane was showing Pep what he was capable of doing. 

Yep and what a mistake it was not buying him.

100m on a left winger, a position they don't even need, when they could have spent 150m (or whatever was quoted) on an outstanding striker which is a position they do need.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Don't forget Leeds.  The dream scenario would be Everton, Newcastle, Leeds for the drop.

Would be great, but unfortunately I don't see Watford putting any sort of run together, unless @Super_horns signs a deal with the devil that declares the town to be a London suburb. :ph34r:

Beat Burnley and Leeds and I think we're out of the picture. The problem is, I don't think any of us are confident that we'll come away from those games without dropping at least 3 points. 

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Conte is a full on headcase. 

No chance was he ever the right man at the right time for Spurs. He should have waited until the summer for the United job to become available.

Spurs should jack it in and aim for someone like Potter (or Rodgers) in the summer. Both would suit their club much better.

Conte's record could easily be even worse. His last 3 league wins have been secured through goals deep into injury time. 

This week on xG is total wankshaft...

Why can't we just go back to calling it what it is.... one shit team is shit at taking good chances and the other shit team are good at taking more difficult/luckier chances

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

I’m sensing a lot of respect for Conte in what he’s doing and saying but is that because it’s aimed at the club Tottenham?

If that was Rodgers acting in the same way how would the Conte respecters react?

Conte is another 1 of those I’m bigger than the club types, I want full control, i need £200m per season if you want me to challenge for top 4 and to the media my hands are tied what does the club expect me to do if they not happy they can get rid of me.

Yeah, he's basically Mourinho but with an incredible hair transplant. 

58 minutes ago, AjcW said:

This week on xG is total wankshaft...

Why can't we just go back to calling it what it is.... one shit team is shit at taking good chances and the other shit team are good at taking more difficult/luckier chances

That's literally what the xG stat tries to quantify? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Conte is another 1 of those I’m bigger than the club types, I want full control, i need £200m per season if you want me to challenge for top 4 and to the media my hands are tied what does the club expect me to do if they not happy they can get rid of me.

Levy insists on hiring this type of manager, then refuses to give them the huge resources in player investment their respective "geniuses" actually require to succeed.  There's only one boss at Spurs.

So Conte is just the latest manager - ENIC marriage heading for a nasty divorce.

Do the same thing over and over and expect different results ...

46 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This week on People Who Don't Understand Statistics Complaining About Statistics. 

And yet the world progresses ... five years ago you couldn't mention xG on here without  [pile-on.gif]

Nowadays most accept it as a useful, quantitative shorthand for a basic concept.  Though some ostriches remain  :nigel:

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Yep and what a mistake it was not buying him.

100m on a left winger, a position they don't even need, when they could have spent 150m (or whatever was quoted) on an outstanding striker which is a position they do need.

Define need? They seem to be doing okay lol

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

That's literally what the xG stat tries to quantify? 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

This week on People Who Don't Understand Statistics Complaining About Statistics. 

I understand statistics, I'm just not sure how it's gained such a cult following and people are making a living out of it, when it really doesn't add much value.

Like why are people trying to explain how Palace should have essentially scored 0 goals but scored 4... like why would you want to do that? What's the need? What purpose does it serve? lol 

No Palace fan is coming away from winning an away game 4-1 and thinking '****ing hell though Brian, the xG folk have said we deserved nothing so maybe we should have the points taken away'

All feels a bit bitcoin fanboy to me.

I probably sound about 80... i'm 31, just cynical lol 

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I understand statistics, I'm just not sure how it's gained such a cult following and people are making a living out of it, when it really doesn't add much value.

Like why are people trying to explain how Palace should have essentially scored 0 goals but scored 4... like why would you want to do that? What's the need? What purpose does it serve? lol 

No Palace fan is coming away from winning an away game 4-1 and thinking '****ing hell though Brian, the xG folk have said we deserved nothing so maybe we should have the points taken away'

All feels a bit bitcoin fanboy to me.

I probably sound about 80... i'm 31, just cynical lol 

I don't know what you expect from xG stats. No-one's saying they should be more important that actual goals or points or anything.

They just tell you about the amount and quality of chances created. Re: Watford v Palace - the xG tells you that Palace were extremely lucky to score 4 with the chances they made. That's all, really. If you're not at all interested in that, you can just ignore it, can't you? The bitterness towards it seems very strange to me. Do you have a problem with any other stats? Shots, shots on target, etc.?

Edited by Raw Dykes
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I don't know what you expect from xG stats. No-one's saying they should be more important that actual goals or points or anything.

They just tell you about the amount and quality of chances created. Re: Watford v Palace - the xG tells you that Palace were extremely lucky to score 4 with the chances they made. That's all, really. If you're not at all interested in that, you can just ignore it, can't you? The hatred towards it seems very strange to me. Do you have a problem with any other stats? Shots, shots on target, etc.?

No you're right I could ignore it, I just used the example above because I thought in the days before all this, it would have been a simple 'Watford are very shit at taking chances but quite good at creating them and Crystal Palace are a bit shit at creating chances but dead good at taking half chances'

I've not got some mad hatred towards it, i'm just not sure what it adds is all. 

re-shots/shots on target - That's a simple stat really isn't it, more about counting than any sort of analysis, there's no formula/algorithm behind it, they act as more of a memory refresher for fans.

9 minutes ago, Corky said:

TalkSport must be gutted, they could've got at least three days out of the "story".

Do not worry.  They might have a BR fest tomorrow, if we screw this up tonight :ph34r: