Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah as much as I disliked the way Mahrez left I think I'd backed him too much to want him to fail. I feel quite vindicated seeing how well he's turned out for them. I rate him over Grealish and always have done. That 2015/16 side was unconventional but they were the best team in that league and there is no doubt about it. Super organised but had three genuine top players in that side as well.

I think has time has gone on we’ve seen how we won the league and shown it wasn’t just a freak.

With the possible exception of Drinkwater (and I think that was more him just losing his enthusiasm for the game), all the players have shown they’re not one season wonders.

Vardy, Kante and Mahrez have all shown they are top quality Premier League players over many years now. And the likes of Morgan, Schmeichel, Albrighton and Fuchs have shown in the years since they are very good steady Premier League players who you can build a very good spine around (Huth had already shown that previously).

Edited by Sampson

15 hours ago, Shane said:

Mahrez has 28 goal contributions in 33 games this season 

:schlupp:

He is undoubtedly world class and we've completely failed to replace him in the 4 years he's been gone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

I'm not saying bring them back but I thought at one stage the PL were looking to bring in regular 7.45pm Saturday games? Did they actually listen to fans' backlash and criticism and can it? 

I wonder if the tv companies actually opposed this? Seeing as most of their audience would be out doing stuff on a Saturday night. 

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I'll always hold more resentment towards Kante for leaving the way he did than Mahrez. At least Mahrez tried to give it another go, not his fault we couldn't match his ambition, but he did go around getting his move in the wrong way in the end which of course, was disappointing.

Kante just seemed to not give a shit and jump at the first opportunity, I don't think he really realised the magnitude of what all the players and staff at the club (not just him, as many people will have you believe) achieved together that season. 

I got criticism for saying similar a while back. Kante insisted on a release clause, he wanted out before he even got here. As you say at least Mahrez stuck around to gave the CL a go with us etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I think has time has gone on we’ve seen how we won the league and shown it wasn’t just a freak.

With the possible exception of Drinkwater (and I think that was more him just losing his enthusiasm for the game), all the players have shown they’re not one season wonders.

Vardy, Kante and Mahrez have all shown they are top quality Premier League players over many years now. And the likes of Morgan, Schmeichel, Albrighton and Fuchs have shown in the years since they are very good steady Premier League players who you can build a very good spine around (Huth had already shown that previously).

Even Drinkwater I think was still a good player. Something's gone extraordinarily wrong for him but he was never a poor player. I still think that side was a bit misunderstood to this day and doesn't get the respect it deserves beyond being called basically a glorified Burnley. For all the Spurs hype I'd be intrigued to see how many trophies their squad that season has since accumulated compared to ours.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I'll always hold more resentment towards Kante for leaving the way he did than Mahrez. At least Mahrez tried to give it another go, not his fault we couldn't match his ambition, but he did go around getting his move in the wrong way in the end which of course, was disappointing.

Kante just seemed to not give a shit and jump at the first opportunity, I don't think he really realised the magnitude of what all the players and staff at the club (not just him, as many people will have you believe) achieved together that season. 

Thing that really annoyed me about Kante was him coming to the champions League game the following season. Left a bitter taste for me 

Life's too short to get bitter over players who leave.

If a player has helped the cause whilst hes here, then thats fine. Theyre all mercenaries when alls said and done, and theyll all leave to "better themselves" in whatever way they define.

Its not the same thing as being a fan, theyre employees. They probably dont love Leicester half as much as we do, and i wouldnt expect them to either.

Just now, pmcla26 said:

Yeah I don't get why everyone gave him a massive cheer when he was on screen, or why he got shown on the screen at all. That achievement was the 16/17 squad's, nothing to do with him. 

It very much felt to me you made your bed now lie in it, don't come down to the ground like you care when you were off at first opportunity, all realistically he needed to do was see out another season as well

• Like 1

Just now, Corky said:

I do wonder what Don Revie and Billy Bremner would have said about an American managing Leeds United in the top flight, in what is rapidly becoming a relegation battle.

Garth Crooks latest shite. What does a nationality have to do with his ability to coach?

This stuff shouldn't be allowed.

Read that earlier. Laughable.

He needs retiring.

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I got criticism for saying similar a while back. Kante insisted on a release clause, he wanted out before he even got here. As you say at least Mahrez stuck around to gave the CL a go with us etc.

If you were a programmer who believed you were good enough for apple but a local computer shop wanted to bring you in but wanted to lock you down for years of your life, Would you do it? Or would you back yourself and say you’d be willing to work for them and help them deliver a great product but with the condition to go to apple if the opportunity comes up? 

Whats so so wrong about that? I’m sure the business wouldn’t be fuming if they were suddenly established beyond their wildest dreams, they’d have nothing but respect for that ex employee. 

As as for Mahrez, it’s the same as chilwell. He left with my well wishes, it’s the nasty comments and attitude towards us that doesn’t make sense. It just shows people’s true nature 

Edited by Lambert09

8 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

If you were a programmer who believed you were good enough for apple but a local computer shop wanted to bring you in but wanted to lock you down for years of your life, Would you do it? Or would you back yourself and say you’d be willing to work for them and help them deliver a great product but with the condition to go to apple if the opportunity comes up? 

Whats so so wrong about that? I’m sure the business wouldn’t be fuming if they were suddenly established beyond their wildest dreams, they’d have nothing but respect for that ex employee. 

As as for Mahrez, it’s the same as chilwell. He left with my well wishes, it’s the nasty comments and attitude towards us that doesn’t make sense. It just shows people’s true nature 

Football doesn't work like that though does it. If you think you're good enough, they will come for you anyway, regardless of price. He put the release clause in because he wanted out easily, no price negotiation, just pay up. Chelsea weren't prepared to take the risk on a unproven player, we were and weren't rewarded for taking that chance because he insisted on a get out before he even signed. 

I have no problem with people moving on to bigger and better things. But your analogy would be like this unproven programmer coming to a small company, creating a product that's better than the IPhone, but the whole time planning to move to Apple take all that work and go without working their notice period.

Nobody said he had to be here forever, just would have been nice if he wasn't planning to leave before he signed and if when he did we were adequately recompensed and not screwed over because of his insistence on a release clause.

5 hours ago, AKCJ said:

He is undoubtedly world class and we've completely failed to replace him in the 4 years he's been gone.

5 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Maddison's been a pretty decent replacement overall. Maybe plays a different position but he was bought in to replace what we lost when Mahrez left. 

Not even close to being in Mahrezs level.

When he can have a handful of good consistent  games without injuries then maybe one day.

7 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I remember his form and attitude the season after we won the PL and he behaved like a world class **** a lot of the time. Undoubtedly has one of the best left feet in world football but I don't like him.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Is 7.45pm on a saturday THAT bad?

One thing i liked during the pandemic (the ONLY thing) was how every game having its own kick off time elevated the importance of each game I felt. I understand fans were not there, fine, but why is it that much of a deal that a football match HAS to be played at 3pm on a saturday, beyond merely tradition?

Football has been played at 7.45pm on a weekday and no one minds about this. Surely thats far logistically harder for someone to attend than 7.45pm on a saturday?

(ducks behind table and expects to get roasted now)

As someone whom uses ‘public’ transport occasionally, yes it wouldn’t be helpful. 

Add to that the policing headache which doesn’t occur midweek. 

11 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

So torn on what result I wanna see tonight. Pity both sets of fans

I was thinking the same . I’ve always loathed spurs but Conte is kind of cool .

Everton and Lampard are a match made in hell although any incident which results in Frank demanding another written apology would be great lol

8 minutes ago, Md9 said:

I wouldn’t mind Everton winning just to watch conte absolutely lose his mind and walk out straight after the game and never go back 😂 

I was just wondering who I wanted to lose the most and was edging towards Everton, but this is a very good point!

• Like 1