Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

I read a few years ago that they only have about 17 thousand real fans. The rest at games are corporate sales and people in London for the weekend looking to take in a game.

Don't know how true it is.

Someone on 5Live earlier said they sell 24k season tickets, which leaves 18k a match day for a full house including 3,000 away fans. I've seen headlines state they could lose out on 600k a match day which would make an average ticket of £33, which probably sounds about right. Not sure about their hospitality numbers though, which would be their biggest earner on match days. 

10 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Someone on 5Live earlier said they sell 24k season tickets, which leaves 18k a match day for a full house including 3,000 away fans. I've seen headlines state they could lose out on 600k a match day which would make an average ticket of £33, which probably sounds about right. Not sure about their hospitality numbers though, which would be their biggest earner on match days. 

That would seem right so, given that a lot of season ticket sales are corporate, especially in London. Yes some of the big corporates through in lunch as well. 

So money aside their not that big of a Club.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

I read a few years ago that they only have about 17 thousand real fans. The rest at games are corporate sales and people in London for the weekend looking to take in a game.

No way that’s true. Their league cup early round attendances are 35k+ 

I've always been fascinated by where Chelsea's authentic fanbase come from. They almost certainly don't reside in Chelsea and I suppose there's enough working class and rough areas in West London that has made up their fanbase for decades and decades. Do a lot of fans come from Surrey too?

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I've always been fascinated by where Chelsea's authentic fanbase come from. They almost certainly don't reside in Chelsea and I suppose there's enough working class and rough areas in West London that has made up their fanbase for decades and decades. Do a lot of fans come from Surrey too?

Yeah Cobham

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

A lot come in from areas like Slough, Staines and similar shit holes in that area outside London. 

• Like 2

I wonder how Drinkwater feels about this. He’s earned £30m+ off Chelsea without ever really having to play for them or be really associated with them. Plus his contracts up in the summer so hopefully he can be as smug and honest about them as possible just to wind up their fans. 

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm now based in NW London, and here you find plenty of Chelsea fans, as well as Arsenal and Spurs followers. Still a few loyal QPR's too. But I once lived for a while in south London, and the number of Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs fans there is huge. And yes, you'll find followers from outside London, not just Surrey but Berkshire, Oxon etc.

3 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I don’t believe that for one minute. 

1 hour ago, SkidsFox said:

I'm now based in NW London, and here you find plenty of Chelsea fans, as well as Arsenal and Spurs followers. Still a few loyal QPR's too. But I once lived for a while in south London, and the number of Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs fans there is huge. And yes, you'll find followers from outside London, not just Surrey but Berkshire, Oxon etc.

I remember a mate of mine who lives in the Croydon area, a huge Palace fan he knows people who honestly live only a few doors away from Selhurst Park who come out their house wear Chelsea tops... where your just across from the road from a football club!. That pee's off a lot of Palace fans. Days are gone when you support a team local to you or nearby you. I can understand if your from their and moved away. But just randomly support a team 100's miles away I just don't get. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

In years gone by, probably Battersea, Clapham and Wandsworth but as those areas have become gentrified in the last 10/15 years probably not so much now.

34 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I remember a mate of mine who lives in the Croydon area, a huge Palace fan he knows people who honestly live only a few doors away from Selhurst Park who come out their house wear Chelsea tops... where your just across from the road from a football club!. That pee's off a lot of Palace fans. Days are gone when you support a team local to you or nearby you. I can understand if your from their and moved away. But just randomly support a team 100's miles away I just don't get. 

Yep - I actually had digs for a short time in south Norwood - could well be the same area you are describing. And yes, plenty of Arsenal and Chelsea fans around there. I quite liked the area, for different reasons, and in those days there were still a good number of pubs. But it often felt a strange place. For example, when a pub was showing a big game, a Champs League match or an international, they'd be flooded out (if not careful) by blokes who'd come in and watch the big screen without ever buying a drink! So of course the pubs ended up having to charge admission (refunded on the first drink) on football nights.

9 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

How far will this ripple go I wonder, could it could reach Everton and Usmanov/Moshiri? The same Everton who are already in line for FFP points deduction next year and in their current pedicament could pull a full Sunderland

:o

Apparently they aren’t 

3 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

The change of manager bounce at Leeds as been rather flat. Relegation is now a four horse race!!

Because changing the manager and suddenly getting good results is a complete myth.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Because changing the manager and suddenly getting good results is a complete myth.

Bielsa was still loved by the players it seems, it wasn't a situation where they'd stopped playing to force a change. They've had injuries to big players and maybe this is more the squad's level within the league as opposed to last season?

I can see why they changed manager because results had been poor and they were leaking goals, this is probably a deeper thing.