Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

8 hours ago, filbertway said:

Maguire is a massive **** though so he's not really worth any class or respect

I don’t get this view (unless you’re just saying it and are on the wind-up). 

He didn’t force a move across to Man U, he hasn’t been embroiled in any off-field antics, he seems to be a fairly quiet, mild-mannered guy. Certainly not a “massive ****”

The only thing he is guilty of is being overpriced and overhyped (which wasn’t even his fault) 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, surrifox said:

In other news under the “fit and proper person to own a prem club” test

Saudi Arabia executed 81 people yesterday 

No wonder then Newcastle have turned their results around….

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

I don’t get this view (unless you’re just saying it and are on the wind-up). 

He didn’t force a move across to Man U, he hasn’t been embroiled in any off-field antics, he seems to be a fairly quiet, mild-mannered guy. Certainly not a “massive ****”

The only thing he is guilty of is being overpriced and overhyped (which wasn’t even his fault) 

So you missed the bit when he was arrested in Greece and comments to the police amounted to him asking - “don’t you know who I am” and offering a bribe? 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, surrifox said:

In other news under the “fit and proper person to own a prem club” test

Saudi Arabia executed 81 people yesterday 

All with western support and backing 

Remember the current Saudi family is not just an ally nowadays rather they were empowered by the British in the 19th century. They did so to spread mayhem and caos across the region. And that's what they've done. They're agents of chaos. And they had no power before the British supported them. For the west tirany is only tirany when they're classic foes are doing it 

2 minutes ago, majaco said:

Money is everything in the Premier League. Morality and decency take a back seat.

There is a lot of oil money, climate change money about.   We are not the worst but King Power did not get their money by being a not for profit charity.  

Fans basically accept being exploited and exploitation in football.   

It is not news that Abrahmovic is close to Putin.   Putin's record in Georgia, Syria and Chechnya is hardly secret.  The difference is when awful things happen in Ukraine, awful things happen on NATO's borders.

The Newcastle takeover is uncomfortable.  Bit now the Saudi's oil revenue will grow while Russia's diminishes.  Chelsea might fall; Newcastle will likely rise.

Fan ownership of clubs would be preferable but the money imperative makes that impossible and, to many, probably undesirable.

Spot on

36 minutes ago, NasPb said:

All with western support and backing 

Remember the current Saudi family is not just an ally nowadays rather they were empowered by the British in the 19th century. They did so to spread mayhem and caos across the region. And that's what they've done. They're agents of chaos. And they had no power before the British supported them. For the west tirany is only tirany when they're classic foes are doing it 

I blame Wellens great great uncle - Lawrence.

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Does an innocent life taken in Ukraine mean more than the one taken in Saudi Arabia?

It is not really what the overall conversation is about. It is about whether the PL or the UK government should allow individuals with solid links to autocratic governments with appalling human rights records to own PL teams.

It is sports washing which is effectively reputation management through sport.

I agree with you there, and yes the PL should step up and not allow these dodging owners who are very much involved with governments that have such records. Didn’t agree with the Newcastle takeover and never agreed with the Chelsea one all those years ago either 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Does an innocent life taken in Ukraine mean more than the one taken in Saudi Arabia?

It is not really what the overall conversation is about. It is about whether the PL or the UK government should allow individuals with solid links to autocratic governments with appalling human rights records to own PL teams.

It is sports washing which is effectively reputation management through sport. It nothing new in 1936 the Berlin Olympics was used by Hitler to promote his ideas. 

I love your posts and very much agree with most. This one 100%. Life is life regardless of place or country 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I do wonder what owners would be left in the PL if a thorough investigation was done in to their past. Suppose it depends what the threshold is for what society would deem unsuitable. 

The more prosperous a society, the more potential to address the sliding scale of bad stuff 

Most individuals start with that what affects or interests them most. 

Even well intentioned people will be a hypocrite to somebody.

Chelsea, Newcastle and King Power owners all got into bed with the ruling classes to develop or be given their businesses;

Obviously, I find the Russian and Saudi situations worse