Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Just now, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think arsenal will comfortably finish ahead of us next season, even when they have European football and we don't. Hope I'm wrong. They'll still be a mile off the front 2 though. 

Surely they aren’t competing with Chelsea next season either? Before Reece James and Chilwell got injured, Chelsea were looking pretty good

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kingfox said:

What if Arsenal manage to get a good striker in the summer, plus a long term replacement for Xhaka, do you still expect to be close to them?

People like to shit on Arsenal because they’ve been shit for so long, but it’s clear as day this is the most potential they’ve had in many years.

The likes of Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard & Smith-Rowe are only going to get better.

No shitting on then from me, they are a good side, but I think with a fit squad for the whole season we would be near them. 

How well do you think the would do without 3 or 4 of there key defenders for the majority of the season. 

You could say the same about Barnes, KDH and Thomas?

The major difference is like you have mentioned they can go and buy a 70m pound player, we can't. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

I really don't like the way this conversation is going. Seems that Man City and Liverpool are "light years ahead" and Arsenal and Chelsea are next in line. That leaves Man U and Spurs probably next and that's not including Newcastle - who will surely be right up there soon enough. Depressing stuff. It's almost like 2015/16 never happened. But thank God it did. And it can happen again - probably not with us though.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I really don't like the way this conversation is going. Seems that Man City and Liverpool are "light years ahead" and Arsenal and Chelsea are next in line. That leaves Man U and Spurs probably next and that's not including Newcastle - who will surely be right up there soon enough. Depressing stuff. It's almost like 2015/16 never happened. But thank God it did. And it can happen again - probably not with us though.

Nothing is ever cast in stone. That is the reason the games are played ! Having money and using it well do not go hand in hand. Newcastle are a long way off still & Man U are a disaster & who knows what lies in Chelseas future. Leicester are still in good shape but need to refresh in a few areas.  !!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Get everyone fit and add a couple quality players and we will be a lot closer to Arsenal.

Unfortunately we'll do neither of these things. Vardy and Evans will be constantly battling niggles from this point on in their careers. We'll lose Tielemans too. We missed our window to gatecrash the top 4. No disgrace in that. It was a good effort, but unfortunately we couldn't see it through. We won't be anywhere near this Arsenal side for a good while.

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

3 of their next 4 are Arsenal, Spurs and Man City. 

They aren't going anywhere soon. 

Their football is utterly dire atm too. I hear all the same complaints about passing along the defence 50 times then punting the ball forward and giving it away from Brighton fans right now we used to hear under Puel.

Said it from the beginning, Potter is just a poor man’s Eddie Howe. At least Howe got Bournemouth to 9th one season which was generally impressive.

All Potter has done has kept Brighton ticking along just above relegation, exactly like his predecessor Chris Hughton did. And that’s after a very mediocre spell at Swansea and some scandal in Sweden were his side bought their way to the top while where that clubs money came from is allegedly under all kinds of fraud and dodgy accounting allegations.

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Their football is utterly dire atm too. I hear all the same complaints about passing along the defence 50 times then punting the ball forward and giving it away from Brighton fans right now we used to hear under Puel.

Said it from the beginning, Potter is just a poor man’s Eddie Howe. At least Howe got Bournemouth to 9th one season which was generally impressive.

All Potter has done has kept Brighton ticking along just above relegation, exactly like his predecessor Chris Hughton did. And that’s after a very mediocre spell at Swansea and some scandal in Sweden were his side bought their way to the top while where that clubs money came from is allegedly under all kinds of fraud and dodgy accounting allegations.

Got any reading around this? Wasn't aware of anything like that.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

We will see.

In 2018/19 Arsenal finished 5th and lost in the Europa league final under Emery, 2019/20 was going to be their year. Meanwhile we finished 9th.

Fast forward 12 months they finished 8th and had sacked Emery, we finished 5th.

12 months is a long time in football.

It was quite widely agreed in the media (and wider footballing circles) before the 19/20 season that we had a chance at top 4 because Arsenal (and Man United - OGS, Chelsea - transfer ban, Lampard) were a bit of a mess. I don't recall anybody expecting big things from Arsenal before that season.

Edited by Langston

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

I don't think it can happen again, not in the current format. 2015/16 was the catalyst to close the shop and will remain so unless the financial bubble bursts. It's never been an equal sporting event and even more so now. 

We would have been looking back in pain at that season for the rest of our lives had we not taken our one chance. We won't get another, like almost all other clubs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Liverpool are light years ahead of us, but I do not see much of gap between us and Arsenal,  if we’re injury free.

19/20 Leicester > this Arsenal. 

But even 19/20 Leicester are miles ahead of us now.

Its not just the injuries really, I think it's naive to keep thinking that our only problem has been disruption in personnel. Even when we put a strong squad out, some considerable damage has been done to the confidence and the fluidity of the team collectively. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Liverpool are light years ahead of us, but I do not see much of gap between us and Arsenal,  if we’re injury free.

Trouble is, Arsenal start with an advantage of 12 points.

We are 6 points down (cos we play Arsenal twice)

They are 6 points up (cos they play us twice)

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, SuperMike said:

Trouble is, Arsenal start with an advantage of 12 points.

We are 6 points down (cos we play Arsenal twice)

They are 6 points up (cos they play us twice)

:ph34r:

Still think man for man our best 11 would give Arsenal a good game. 

12 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

No heard much from the Potter for Leicester Brigade for a while.

6 loses on the bounce coming up......

He definitely wouldn't survive that run at Leicester. It's funny, we have been underwhelming this season but we could plausibly finish in the top half, which is something that Brighton have never managed. Admittedly we have a much better squad Brighton and even with the injuries, we should still be finishing above them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Langston said:

It was quite widely agreed in the media (and wider footballing circles) before the 19/20 season that we had a chance at top 4 because Arsenal (and Man United - OGS, Chelsea - transfer ban, Lampard) were a bit of a mess. I don't recall anybody expecting big things from Arsenal before that season.

Well this is the BBC pundits predictions for 19/20 season, 24 pundits picked their top 4, not 1 pick Leicester however 13 pick Arsenal https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49258004

Predictor 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
Ian Wright Liverpool Man City Tottenham Arsenal
Alex Scott Liverpool Man City Tottenham Arsenal
Sue Smith Liverpool Man City Tottenham Arsenal
Martin Keown Liverpool Man City Tottenham Arsenal
Stephen Warnock Liverpool Man City Tottenham Arsenal
Danny Murphy Liverpool Man City Tottenham Man Utd
Alan Shearer Liverpool Man City Tottenham Man Utd
Matthew Upson Liverpool Man City Tottenham Chelsea
Ruud Gullit Man City Chelsea Liverpool Man Utd
Karen Carney Man City Liverpool Man Utd Arsenal
Mark Schwarzer Man City Liverpool Chelsea Tottenham
Jermaine Jenas Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Paul Ince Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Chris Sutton Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Leon Osman Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Pat Nevin Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Michael Brown Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Mark Lawrenson Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Micah Richards Man City Liverpool Tottenham Man Utd
Lindsay Johnson Man City Liverpool Tottenham Man Utd
Kevin Kilbane Man City Liverpool Tottenham Man Utd
Rachel Brown-Finnis Man City Liverpool Tottenham Chelsea
Chris Waddle Man City Liverpool Tottenham Chelsea
Joleon Lescott Man City Liverpool Tottenham Chelsea

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

19/20 Leicester > this Arsenal. 

But even 19/20 Leicester are miles ahead of us now.

Its not just the injuries really, I think it's naive to keep thinking that our only problem has been disruption in personnel. Even when we put a strong squad out, some considerable damage has been done to the confidence and the fluidity of the team collectively. 

I agree but we have a relatively easy finish to the season, with players returning.

Confidence is a fickle thing, finish the season well and go deep in the ECL league could see a little swagger and belief return.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Well this is the BBC pundits predictions for 19/20 season, 24 pundits picked their top 4, not 1 pick Leicester however 13 pick Arsenal https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49258004

Predictor 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
Ian Wright Liverpool Man City Tottenham Arsenal
Alex Scott Liverpool Man City Tottenham Arsenal
Sue Smith Liverpool Man City Tottenham Arsenal
Martin Keown Liverpool Man City Tottenham Arsenal
Stephen Warnock Liverpool Man City Tottenham Arsenal
Danny Murphy Liverpool Man City Tottenham Man Utd
Alan Shearer Liverpool Man City Tottenham Man Utd
Matthew Upson Liverpool Man City Tottenham Chelsea
Ruud Gullit Man City Chelsea Liverpool Man Utd
Karen Carney Man City Liverpool Man Utd Arsenal
Mark Schwarzer Man City Liverpool Chelsea Tottenham
Jermaine Jenas Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Paul Ince Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Chris Sutton Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Leon Osman Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Pat Nevin Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Michael Brown Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Mark Lawrenson Man City Liverpool Tottenham Arsenal
Micah Richards Man City Liverpool Tottenham Man Utd
Lindsay Johnson Man City Liverpool Tottenham Man Utd
Kevin Kilbane Man City Liverpool Tottenham Man Utd
Rachel Brown-Finnis Man City Liverpool Tottenham Chelsea
Chris Waddle Man City Liverpool Tottenham Chelsea
Joleon Lescott Man City Liverpool Tottenham Chelsea

Sort of proves my point? Squeezing into the Top 4 doesn't equate to grand expectations.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Still think man for man our best 11 would give Arsenal a good game. 

I'd agree, but I wasnt comparing teams - my daft comment was based on our record over the past 50 years - an unbelievably appalling record where they even beat us twice when we won the Premier League! We appear to be reduced to pathetic, quivering morons whenever we play Arsenal - scared to death of them and their London ways! :huh:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

This Arsenal team are a completely different kettle of fish to the 19/20 version. They've finally purged their squad of expensive wasters like Ozil and Auba and replaced them with young, hungry talent. I expect them to be in and around the top 4 for a few years.

I agree but they will have to spend another couple hundred million if they want to compete for the big prize again.  

a bit like liverpool buying VVD and Alison