Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I agree but they will have to spend another couple hundred million if they want to compete for the big prize again.  

a bit like liverpool buying VVD and Alison 

I think they could do with another striker too. But the point I've been trying (and probably failing) to convey is that their squad rebuild is almost done. Whereas we are just about to start our much needed squad rebuild, and there are no guarantees that BR will get it right. Arsenal are much further into their rebuild and appear to be on the right lines.

4 hours ago, Langston said:

It was quite widely agreed in the media (and wider footballing circles) before the 19/20 season that we had a chance at top 4 because Arsenal (and Man United - OGS, Chelsea - transfer ban, Lampard) were a bit of a mess. I don't recall anybody expecting big things from Arsenal before that season.

28 minutes ago, Langston said:

Not really mental gymnastics - what you posted doesn't disprove anything I said!

You said

"It was quite widely agreed in the media (and wider footballing circles) before the 19/20 season that we had a chance at top 4"

I quoted 24 pundits who didn't predict us getting top 4, that doesn't sound like many gave us a chance.

You said  "I don't recall anybody expecting big things from Arsenal before that season." 13 pundit I quoted expected them to break into the top 4. Which they hadn't done since we won the league. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We'll see how Arsenal get on next season with European football, it's much easier on your squad when you're not playing 3 times a week. It won't make a huge difference in terms of points, but even 6 or 7 points at the end of the season is the difference between 4th and 7th.

They'll probably cope better than we have.

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think they could do with another striker too. But the point I've been trying (and probably failing) to convey is that their squad rebuild is almost done. Whereas we are just about to start our much needed squad rebuild, and there are no guarantees that BR will get it right. Arsenal are much further into their rebuild and appear to be on the right lines.

Wouldn’t say the rebuild is almost done they have their current 2 strikers out of contract in the summer and quite a few players they need to make decisions on 

https://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2022/2/2/22914100/arsenal-updated-contracts-summary-length-wages-salary-arteta-bukayo-saka-lacazette-nketiah

20 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

They'll probably cope better than we have.

Our squad depth is fine if we can finally just have a normal rate of injuries. 

The issue this season, however, has been that right from the start we've been beset by injuries. In the first game v Wolves we were missing 3 of our first choice back 4, whilst Barnes and Maddison played but were clearly far from their best, having just returned from significant injuries. These injury problems have made it impossible in turn for us to rest and rotate, leading to other players getting overplayed and in turn breaking down themselves, compounding the issue. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

I haven't been overly impressed with Arsenal in their last 2 games.

Even with a depleted squad we weren't outclassed. I was more impressed with them back in October 2018. They have bragging rights for now but if we had a full strength team I wouldn't be fearful of them.

Next season will tell a lot about how genuine their progress is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue ROI said:

I haven't been overly impressed with Arsenal in their last 2 games.

Even with a depleted squad we weren't outclassed. I was more impressed with them back in October 2018. They have bragging rights for now but if we had a full strength team I wouldn't be fearful of them.

Next season will tell a lot about how genuine their progress is.

I thought they were more than a match for Liverpool until Calamity Ramsdale reappeared.

31 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Everton or Newcastle tonight? 

As Newcastle are all but safe anyway may as well hope they win even if it puts them above us as we'll have 3 games in hand.

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

As much as it would be great to see Everton relegated, don’t think anyone who has any friends or family or are female or gay or anyone with any sense of decency at all can in all good consciousness  ever cheer on Newcastle again.

why would it be great. every Everton fan i've ever met has been sound. 

6 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

why would it be great. every Everton fan i've ever met has been sound. 

Nothing to do with their fans for me but we keep being told they're a massive club; in the 30 years since they were a founding member of the Premier League, they've finished in the top half only 15 times, won one trophy while spending Russian dirty money and achieving absolutely nothing with it. Worst of all they poached Steve Walsh from us and absolutely wasted him.

Going down could honestly be the best thing for them.

• Like 3

Guest StevieLynex

If our defenders had been on the post as this fan we would have conceded fewer goals this season