Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

5 hours ago, KingsX said:

Unfortunately, NO.  The best players will go where they've always gone -- where the money is.  And whatever replaces the ESL will still be designed for the purpose of tilting the playing field even more extremely, and permanently, towards the clubs in that cartel.  

The Premier League will quickly become an improved version of the Championship.  A feeder league, from which the best players will be quickly picked off by ESL clubs structurally guaranteed to have incomes 10 times greater.  A PL whose clubs get only scraps of the media attention and revenues which are the fuel needed to run a major football club.

The worldwide media giants now jointly bidding billions for PL media rights will move those bids to the "next ESL".  Some will still pay to show the PL as a niche product -- but only a fraction of the current bids,  because there will be a fraction of the audience.  The big money is in the worldwide casual audience, which will perceive even the major European leagues to be minor leagues, and mostly abandon them.  Some UK/French/Italian fans will do the same.

The financial insecurity of the EFL -- I should say the relative poverty of the EFL, and the desperation, not insecurity, of poorly run clubs -- will move upward and encompass the PL.  Even if there is limited room for promotion/relegation, the revenues in the "next ESL" will by rule go mostly to the permanent franchise clubs.  Why are Barca, Juve, and the US Greedy Six owners so desperate for an ESL?  Because football is hard, even for these knobs who otherwise find making money so easy.  Why should you have to run your club well to maximize your income and buy up all the best players, when you can just close the gates, sit back and collect huge rents?

Some of you like the idea of returning to football of greater "purity" in a PL rid of the Greedy Six (soon to be Seven).  Without having their machinations, their greed constantly in our face.  And that might well create a more enjoyable experience for those who genuinely enjoyed following City in the Championship more than they do today.

But I don't think most of us would like it.  There is no way LCFC would keep its next Jamie Vardy (if we are ever lucky enough to find another) in an ESL world.  Would Youri Tielemans have signed for an LCFC in the Championship?  Would James Maddison or KDH stay at one?  

You make valid points, but there will be 10 clubs in it, meaning 300 players from a worldwide pool.

There will still be talent around for the club's that remain in the pyramid. Furthermore, the PL may remain a competitive spectacle where the media rights come from online platforms not sky. There is no guarantee the money will plummet in the way everyone assumes.

This won't stick. I absolutely despise the dissent shown and wish refs had the bottle to card players.

Think the sensible approach is to let the initial rant go as we've all played football and been fired up so you need to get it out of your system sometimes, so after a couple of seconds say, a warning and then the slightest bit of back chat after that a booking, then a red for anymore.

You're giving the players some leniency but enforcing some discipline too.

• Like 1

Just now, dmayne7 said:

This won't stick. I absolutely despise the dissent shown and wish refs had the bottle to card players.

Think the sensible approach is to let the initial rant go as we've all played football and been fired up so you need to get it out of your system sometimes, so after a couple of seconds say, a warning and then the slightest bit of back chat after that a booking, then a red for anymore.

You're giving the players some leniency but enforcing some discipline too.

The refs have the power but time and time again let players walk all over them. They'll never get respect till they earn it. Clubs will be putting pressure on their players soon enough if the players are unavailable due to suspension because they can't keep their mouths shut.

13 minutes ago, filbertway said:

The refs have the power but time and time again let players walk all over them. They'll never get respect till they earn it. Clubs will be putting pressure on their players soon enough if the players are unavailable due to suspension because they can't keep their mouths shut.

I agree but that's why I'm suggesting that there's something of a more formal process for on the pitch. If there's clear steps to follow then refs won't feel like they're sticking their neck out like they currently do (wrongly so)

• Like 1

One of the worst players for gobbing off and intimidating referees was Wayne Rooney and he's an England legend, top scorer, former captain. What did the FA do to stop that?

Spare us this crap.

2 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

They need to adopt the Sin Bin from Rugby. 5 or 10 to cool down and back on.

Sending off players very often ruins the game for spectators who have paid a lot of money to see the game.

A red can still be a sending off but only for bad fouls etc.

Having been in games where a sin bin rule is introduced I honestly found it made the situation worse 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

The most deluded part of the tweet is that he still picks konsa and buendia !!!

I rate Konsa. Buendia is sensationally overrated.

12 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

They’ve got deep pockets and a rather silly transfer policy. Something like this is much likelier than you may think. 

Well those players need to want to move there over other sides… and most of those have better suitors than villa who also have big pockets. Can’t see them getting Pogba, Raphinha, or Phillips that is for sure. 

10 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well those players need to want to move there over other sides… and most of those have better suitors than villa who also have big pockets. Can’t see them getting Pogba, Raphinha, or Phillips that is for sure. 

The only one I’d rule out is Pogba from that list. 

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Honestly a 10 minute sin bin for that sort of thing would be perfect.  Stuff that’s outside of the regular game, ie abusing the ref not for challenges. Same could be said for squaring up and pushing and shoving etc.  (Would have been nice if bergwign had been after his shove in Soyuncu)

Rudiger would be be a huge example, if you run half the field to start something then a simple sin bin would make him think twice about being such a c*ck Womble

We'll never see it but I would love to see Rudiger do that in a game where Wasilewski has just committed a foul against Chelsea. 

25 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

We'll never see it but I would love to see Rudiger do that in a game where Wasilewski has just committed a foul against Chelsea. 

We definitely lost that edge to us when he, Huth and Morgan left. 

• Like 3