Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

27 minutes ago, Bert said:

Well they’ve got no excuses now when it comes to the amount of games we play. 

Yep! Expect some managers to moan far less frequently now, specifically Klopp and Pep (ha!), both who haven't even used 3 subs in games before. 

• Like 1

Klopp will still find something to moan about during the Christmas schedule on how hard & tough it is for the players. 

This hasn’t got anything to do with player welfare it’s about the bigger clubs widening their grip. Say Burnley winning 1-0 and Klopp ready to bring on Salah, Jota, Mane, Fabinho, TAA completely changes the game.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yep! Expect some managers to moan far less frequently now, specifically Klopp and Pep (ha!), both who haven't even used 3 subs in games before. 

Liverpool 2-0 Brentford, 28/12/22

Salah 21'

HT

Jota 65'

Mane             🔁  Minamino 87'

Henderson    🔁   Keita 90+2'

FT

Edited by Stadt

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I think 5 subs it's a good thing when we've got some promising youngsters in the academy. Might help us in solving some of our injury issues, too. 

I mean, if the FA gave as many shits about developing young talent as they claim then it'd actually be a rule.

Okay, no problem, you want two extra substitutes because you're worried about player fatigue? That's fine, we'll up it to 5 but 2 of them have to be under 21 and eligible for a UK nation.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean, if the FA gave as many shits about developing young talent as they claim then it'd actually be a rule.

Okay, no problem, you want two extra substitutes because you're worried about player fatigue? That's fine, we'll up it to 5 but 2 of them have to be under 21 and eligible for a UK nation.

This. It's so obvious that they were never going to do it though! Would have had far too good a feedback lol 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Not sure how legal that is to limit a job to just British citizens. Legally Irish citizens have to have equal rights to work in the UK as British citizens, so it would have to be eligible for UK or Irish nation at the least.

I’m pretty sure it would be at least against the spirit if not the law of the withdrawal agreement, if anyone with settled or pre-settled status from EU days were not got given equal rights to work in the UK like they had when UK was still in the EU as well.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Great, more opportunities for Rodgers to chuck an extra centre back on :blush:

He'll  chuck 3 on now instead of his usual 1.

Edited by Facecloth

7 minutes ago, AjcW said:

This. It's so obvious that they were never going to do it though! Would have had far too good a feedback lol 

Well it's because it's not REALLY about protecting players and combating fatigue at all is it, we all know that. There's absolutely countless examples of Pep and Klopp not even using the subs they've been given let alone needing more. 

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Not sure how legal that is. Legally Irish citizens have to have equal rights to work in the UK as British citizens, so it would have to be eligible for UK or Irish nation at the least.

I’m pretty sure it would be at least against the spirit if not the law of the withdrawal agreement, if anyone with settled or pre-settled status from EU days were not got given equal rights to work in the UK like they had when UK was still in the EU.

"Home grown" would be fine though surely as it'd be inline with PL rules?

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That's a great idea. It would give a couple of the young lads a chance to experience the whole Match Day. Even if they are unlikely to be called up if needed.

It would also be fairer to the smaller Clubs, who don't have International players on the bench every week.

7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

"Home grown" would be fine though surely as it'd be inline with PL rules?

Home grown is to do with whether you’ve been at an English (or Welsh club in the English pyramid) for at least 3 years before your 21st birthday though, your nationality has nothing to do with it. For example Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku are both considered “home grown” even though neither qualifies for a UK nation.

What Finnegan is suggesting is only allowed to be bring players on based on them being UK citizens, which is very dodgy legal ground. At the very least, I highly doubt you’d be allowed to exclude Irish citizens from that.

Edited by Sampson