Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

5 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Kante never wanted to be here though he was basically on loan for a year he was always going to be off at the first opportunity think we should just be thankful we got a year out of him and he worked his balls off while he was here and won us the league. 

We had the best box to box midfielder in the world and people cry because he left, it's insane lol

Absolute pleasure to have the little man playing for us for a season and was the main reason we won the league. Look how the squad did without him the year after.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Great, more opportunities for Rodgers to chuck an extra centre back on :blush:

more worried that now he'll care even less about a player getting injured 10 minutes after returning from 2 years out injured.  

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Home grown is to do with whether you’ve been at an English (or Welsh club in the English pyramid) for at least 3 years before your 21st birthday though, your nationality has nothing to do with it. For example Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku are both considered “home grown” even though neither qualifies for a UK nation.

What Finnegan is suggesting is only allowed to be bring players on based on them being UK citizens, which is very dodgy legal ground. At the very least, I highly doubt you’d be allowed to exclude Irish citizens from that.

I agree legally it's likely not possible but practically I'd say 90%+ of HG players are British and Irish anyway

1 minute ago, Corky said:

I think give subs will help our squad but really do not like it as a rule. It will distort the haves and have nots even more.

We had 5 subs against Chelsea in an Fa cup quarter final at home and he still left a striker on the bench for the whole game when losing. 

1 hour ago, Fox in the North said:

Is that now and will it be upped as part of the 5 Subs change, I'd imagine Klopp and Co will want a bigger bench to go with this change.

Have to agree, can’t understand why people boo Kante or Mahrez. 2 of the best players ever to wear a Leicester shirt.

Mahrez actually was convinced to stay an extra year but then got frustrated struggled to leave too, unlike Kante who left at the first opportunity.

But then our fans are weirdos. A lot seem to hate Alan Smith, also one of the best players ever to wear a Leicester shirt, because he doesn’t talk about the fact he played for us enough in commentary or something.

2 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I don’t “cry because he left”, but I do remain frustrated that he couldn’t give us just one more year.

All of the significant contributors to our 2015/16 story get a free pass for me, but compare the way Kante is treated to the way Mahrez is. The latter was vocal about the fact he wanted to go sooner whereas the former buggered off as soon as he could because he had a release clause.

Kante is cheered when he returns whereas Mahrez is boo-ed which, personally, I find utterly moronic 

I'd say the difference is that Kanté had that built in to his contract, fair play. He would have been off at the end of that season regardless what happened. How he wasn't picked up by PSG or another top team absolutely baffles me.

Mahrez was plucked from relative obscurity and worked his way up with us and we had been on a journey together. Then his performance levels dropped off massively and he actively started hanging around airports desperate to leave. This unsurprisngly rubbed some people up the wrong way haha. It probably hurt fans more as there was a bit of a rapport that had been built up over the previous 3/4 seasons.

Whereas Kanté came in, put in a minimum 8/10 performance every single game and then moved onto a club with much better resources and higher targets than us.

I respect both players immensely and wish them the best, it's a priveledge to have players like that playing for the club. We want to get rid of players that aren't good enough, so why shouldn't players want to move away from clubs who are below them talent wise. it works both ways. 

I had a bit of ill feeling towards Mahrez for 6 months or so after he left and was delighted when he slipped over when taking an important penalty haha. That ill-feeling soon disappeared though and I'm just left appreciating that the club had someone of that talent playing for it.

I do understand what you mean about Kante but it'd have been a crime against football if he wasn't allowed to move on. The only minor annoyance is that he's not playing for one of the proper giants and he's with Chelsea :D

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Have to agree, can’t understand why people boo Kante or Mahrez. 2 of the best players ever to wear a Leicester shirt.

Mahrez actually was convinced to stay an extra year but then got frustrated struggled to leave too, unlike Kante who left at the first opportunity.

But then our fans are weirdos. A lot seem to hate Alan Smith, also one of the best players ever to wear a Leicester shirt, because he doesn’t talk about the fact he played for us enough in commentary or something.

Think people get annoyed with Smith because he seems to try and not come across as biased towards us by going completely the other way.

17 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I don’t “cry because he left”, but I do remain frustrated that he couldn’t give us just one more year.

All of the significant contributors to our 2015/16 story get a free pass for me, but compare the way Kante is treated to the way Mahrez is. The latter was vocal about the fact he wanted to go sooner whereas the former buggered off as soon as he could because he had a release clause.

Kante is cheered when he returns whereas Mahrez is boo-ed which, personally, I find utterly moronic 

What if Kante had been mediocre the following year? Or picked up a serious injury? He's set himself up for life with the money he'll of earnt at Chelsea and he's also won a fair bit as well.

21 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

The latter was vocal about the fact he wanted to go sooner whereas the former buggered off as soon as he could because he had a release clause.

I get where you're coming from but run this scenario; Kanté may have only been with us because of that release clause. Arguably no title, and a completely different season. 

It's obviously a moot point because none (or maybe a few!) actually know what the situation was but Kanté 

• Like 2

I don’t think anyone is having a go at Kante leaving here btw, they’re just saying they can’t understand why Mahrez gets booed while Kante gets cheered, when Kante arguably cared about us less and left at the first opportunity and Mahrez was initially actually convinced to play on for a while afterwards.

It’s 4 years since Mahrez left now ffs. Aren’t you guys over it? Really hope he’s applauded when his name is next read out when ManCity play  at the KP for everything he did for us

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

Kante is a model professional who gives all he has got every time he turns out for France or Chelsea , like he did for us. Mahrez is a gifted footballer and an unlikeable little p***k. The season after we won the title he played to 50% of his capabilities when others like Wes , Christian and Marc were busting a gut. That should not be forgotten.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Kante is a model professional who gives all he has got every time he turns out for France or Chelsea , like he did for us. Mahrez is a gifted footballer and an unlikeable little p***k. The season after we won the title he played to 50% of his capabilities when others like Wes , Christian and Marc were busting a gut. That should not be forgotten.

Lots of players were poor the season after we won the league. It was Vardy’s poorest season in the PL for us as well. I think we really struggled balancing European football and league football that season with such a small squad. Meanwhile the season after in 17-18 Mahrez was excellent.

Why do you think he’s “an unlikeable little ****”? That just sounds like your own weird bias to me.

Edited by Sampson

Just now, Sampson said:

Lots of players were poor the season after we won the league. It was Vardy’s poorest season in the PL for us as well. I think we really struggled balancing European football and league football that season. Meanwhile the season after in 17-18 Mahrez was excellent.

Why do you think he’s “an unlikeable little ****”? That just sounds like your own weird bias to me.

That is indeed my personal bias. He is not by any means the only player I dislike while acknowledging their ability.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Yep! Expect some managers to moan far less frequently now, specifically Klopp and Pep (ha!), both who haven't even used 3 subs in games before. 

Like Pep didn’t use any sub v Palace! 

52 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

What if Kante had been mediocre the following year? Or picked up a serious injury? He's set himself up for life with the money he'll of earnt at Chelsea and he's also won a fair bit as well.

I fully understand why Kante left and don’t condemn him for it. All I’m saying is that I was disappointed that he didn’t give us another season and, for that reason, he will never quite reach the same status and affection I have for some other former players.

As I said - all the 15/16 players should always have special status. But, despite his ability, he isn’t above many of the others in my mind simply because most of his achievements in football have nothing to do with Leicester 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I don’t think anyone is having a go at Kante leaving here btw, they’re just saying they can’t understand why Mahrez gets booed while Kante gets cheered, when Kante arguably cared about us less and left at the first opportunity and Mahrez was initially actually convinced to play on for a while afterwards.

It’s 4 years since Mahrez left now ffs. Aren’t you guys over it? Really hope he’s applauded when his name is next read out when ManCity play  at the KP for everything he did for us

Maybe then he’d actually not destroy us for once. 

im surprised we haven’t learnt that he tries so much harder when we boo him 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Jesus. What should not be forgotten is that your 'played to 50%' is an assertion, not a fact.

My recollection of that season is of most of the players having a similar dip in form and Mahrez himself being double or even triple marked by the opposition

5 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I think you have to be a bit of a weirdo to have such a passionate dislike for Mahrez. The bloke was absolutely magic for us and I’d have him back tomorrow. 

He was magic until he decided he didnt want to be here.

You get him back tomorrow, and the next day he's back at the airport.  Would you still be happy?

Edited by marbles