Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Utd signing Varane is huge.

When the first link came about I was like 'why would you leave Real Madrid for Man Utd in the state they are?'

Yet here we are. It's a massive signing for them and seriously improves the solidity of their defence. Maguire isn't always as bad as people make out - the mistakes are magnified. Most of the time he's actually alright. Varane next to him will probably make him better, anyway. A huge improvement on Lindelof/Bailly.

Chelsea potentially signing Kounde, too. A big improvement on the ageing Azpilicueta.

Achieving top 4 will be a mammoth one and very difficult; more so than the last 2 seasons have been.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

When the first link came about I was like 'why would you leave Real Madrid for Man Utd in the state they are?'

Yet here we are. It's a massive signing for them and seriously improves the solidity of their defence. Maguire isn't always as bad as people make out - the mistakes are magnified. Most of the time he's actually alright. Varane next to him will probably make him better, anyway. A huge improvement on Lindelof/Bailly.

Chelsea potentially signing Kounde, too. A big improvement on the ageing Azpilicueta.

Achieving top 4 will be a mammoth one and very difficult; more so than the last 2 seasons have been.

To be fair we said the same last year but on the whole agree. I still think players coming back late from the euros will affect a lot of the big clubs and still think injuries will hit them.

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I think Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City are dead certs. They have world class managers and first elevens that should all be in Champions League semi finals. I think with Ole in charge at United it leaves the door slightly ajar for us still although slightly less than before. Certainly won't be on a plate for us like the last two seasons even if we have flipped the table as soon as dinner was served to us.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I think Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City are dead certs. They have world class managers and first elevens that should all be in Champions League semi finals. I think with Ole in charge at United it leaves the door slightly ajar for us still although slightly less than before. Certainly won't be on a plate for us like the last two seasons even if we have flipped the table as soon as dinner was served to us.

I think you're probably right, but we would have said the same this time last year, and top 4 was there for the taking. I think there's a chance that Liverpool might disappoint. It seems like their squad could be coming to the end of a cycle, and the wobble they had last season could be repeated at some point.

Top 4 will probably be as tough as ever to break into, but I think we're better equipped now than we've ever been.

39 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

If the double jab rules does come into force, unless they make you take your proof of vaccine to the ticket office to add to your season ticket card I can’t see how they can realistically control / check everything? 
Will it be a case of just flashing the app to stewards on entry? 
Where would you be expected to scan the app? Scanning the app then season ticket card would double the already long que times! 

Went to a FC Copenhagen game last Sunday. Not been double jabbed yet so had to get a test the day before. Just showed the steward the app before the turnstile, was pretty quick to be fair.

3 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think you're probably right, but we would have said the same this time last year, and top 4 was there for the taking. I think there's a chance that Liverpool might disappoint. It seems like their squad could be coming to the end of a cycle, and the wobble they had last season could be repeated at some point.

Top 4 will probably be as tough as ever to break into, but I think we're better equipped now than we've ever been.

Conversely, I think Liverpool will be strong next season and then tail off badly  the one after. Like us, their biggest issue was injuries - except they finished strongly despite their players being out. Gomez and VVD will likely be back early in the season. Their best players haven’t gone to the euros and they know how to grind out wins. Basically, they’ve got a last hurrah in them before they need to rebuild as their front 3 are all 29 and injury prone.

Unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

It's not THAT hard, last two seasons we have generally pissed our way into top 4 but needed to be absolute muck whilst still making it to the final day to confirm missing out.

It wouldn't surprise me at all though if we finally put together a top squad but never get close to where we have finished last two seasons:ph34r:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Royston. said:

It's not THAT hard, last two seasons we have generally pissed our way into top 4 but needed to be absolute muck whilst still making it to the final day to confirm missing out.

It wouldn't surprise me at all though if we finally put together a top squad but never get close to where we have finished last two seasons:ph34r:

Going into this season I feel like Top 4 is beyond us but weirdly would be somewhat disappointed if we finish below 5th, which is insane to say as a fan of Leicester City Football Club! But we really do have a great squad and manager now.

Europa League is the wildcard. We are more than capable of winning it, though we might lack the experience to do it. You also never know what can happen in knockout football, though I hope that this season we can at least make it to a famous team. Fair play to Slavia who dumped us out fair and square, but would love for us to play Ajax, Milan, Marseille in a big knockout match.

I'm going for 5th place and a Europa League win this season! Why not be ambitious with how good our club is at the moment!?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Just looked at Chelsea's squad for their friendly vs Bournemouth tonight. Absolutely shocking some of the deadwood they still have in their squad that have been loaned put for several seasons!!!

That’s what happens when you relentlessly hoard players just to loan them out. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Finners has made an ambitious enquiry to Hollywood star Emma Stone to see if she fancies Netflix & Chill. 

Screenshot_20210728-073611_Chrome.jpg

But can you offer her the Iconic number 10 bath robe?

13 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

To be fair we said the same last year but on the whole agree. I still think players coming back late from the euros will affect a lot of the big clubs and still think injuries will hit them.

Players injured or coming back late - will affect most clubs in the Premiership, including ours. No need to give the big clubs a free pass - remember they have better squads to draw upon.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
4 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Players injured or coming back late - will affect most clubs in the Premiership, including ours. No need to give the big clubs a free pass - remember they have better squads to draw upon.

Disagree. We had 4 outfield players at the euros, 1 that went out in the groups, 1 that got injured early and 1 that didn't play.

Compare that with man City who's entire first team squad went relatively deep on the euros or the Copa America and its very different.

Theyve got big squads but even the ones that didn't play started.

21 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Considering the state of Real and Barcelona, I can see a lot of players being happy to leave. Spanish football really isn't what it was. 

If anything it's probably a little stronger outside the famous top two. Atleti have just won the league, and the likes of Sevilla or Real Sociedad will be tough draws for anyone. Agree that Barcelona have got to be weaker, they're having a firesale to keep hold of their galatico. But any team with Messi is still a threat. Madrid are in transition and also letting some good players go. They may yet buy someone though, and if Hazard gets fully fit again, who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkidsFox said:

If anything it's probably a little stronger outside the famous top two. Atleti have just won the league, and the likes of Sevilla or Real Sociedad will be tough draws for anyone. Agree that Barcelona have got to be weaker, they're having a firesale to keep hold of their galatico. But any team with Messi is still a threat. Madrid are in transition and also letting some good players go. They may yet buy someone though, and if Hazard gets fully fit again, who knows.

I'd go along with that. What their league needs is to move away from Real/ Barca getting the lion's share of TV money. 

• Like 1

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4440326/english-football-to-limit-powerful-headers-in-training

English football will limit the number of high-force headers in training to 10 per week from the 2021-22 season to protect players as part of new guidelines, the Premier League and other governing bodies said on Wednesday.