Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

We are in Europe..!! You miserable Collection of Bar-stewards..!

It will be the second failure to reach the UCL from a good position that would be the killer for me personally.

But there again.........  Group of death in the UCL and doing a 'Celtic' or a longish run in the knock out stages of the EL?

It's the Thursday evenings I hate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trabuch said:

Top will be happy. FA Cup final and the chance of CL in our hands with two games to go. That is quality. Vardy is out of form, some of our best players have been injured for long parts of this season, and still we are here. It's outstanding really when you think about it.

It is. But when the club is so close to UCL qualification for two consequtive seasons after being in the top four places since the first week then I think we can be justified in being massively disappointed. 

Its the history of the club still playing out. Always so close but always the bridesmaid (apart from the obvious). It's ingrained in us. 

Winning an FA Cup will be huge to the psychologically of our club. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

The europa league is the continental league Cup. 

Apparently no one cares about it. Until you get to the semi final of course and then all of a sudden you realise there's quite a lot at stake and you've got a real chance of winning a trophy, and it's a European trophy.

I guarantee if this was still called the UEFA cup most of those discounting the competition would still be very much interested in it.

I still sometimes can't believe the snobbery of the modern day football fan. 

All of those discrediting the europa league would have been dead against the European super league, but it thoughts similar to those of your own that bring ideas such as the European super league about. Because it's not the elite European competition and you're playing Athens and not Madrid, it's not good enough and should be seen as nothing other than an inconvenience. :doh:

I don't think it's just about the name. When I got into football as a child in the 1980s there were three European competitions: the European Cup, the UEFA Cup and the Cup Winners' Cup. We all knew that the European Cup was the top prize, but the others really mattered too. Winning any of them was considered a major achievement.

The European Cup differed from the Champions League in that teams would only qualify if they won their domestic leagues. That meant there were always some very high profile teams from England, Italy, Spain, Germany etc in the other competitions. The Champions League has effectively diverted more of those high-profile clubs into one competition rather than dispersing them between three, which has had the effect of devaluing the Europa League.

Don't get me wrong: if we fail to get into the Champions League next season, I will want us to win the Europa League. It would be a massive achievement. But the fact remains that the Champions League is on a whole different level in terms of the publicity and revenue it generates. It's not snobbery to acknowledge that.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, peach0000 said:

So losing a game shows the club didn't respect the competition? Well I guess our club has never respected the FA Cup, only respected the League Cup a handful off times ever, it's shocking really might as well just fold the club, there's no point carrying on with the lack of respect we've shown competitions over the last 130 odd years.

apparently Hes into Bricks.:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

The europa league is the continental league Cup. 

Apparently no one cares about it. Until you get to the semi final of course and then all of a sudden you realise there's quite a lot at stake and you've got a real chance of winning a trophy, and it's a European trophy.

I guarantee if this was still called the UEFA cup most of those discounting the competition would still be very much interested in it.

I still sometimes can't believe the snobbery of the modern day football fan. 

All of those discrediting the europa league would have been dead against the European super league, but it thoughts similar to those of your own that bring ideas such as the European super league about. Because it's not the elite European competition and you're playing Athens and not Madrid, it's not good enough and should be seen as nothing other than an inconvenience. :doh:

I don't think people care that much because as you say, until you reach the semi's, there's little point in it. Financially it isn't very rewarding and arguably can be more damaging as it can have an effect on smaller squads trying to achieve that elusive top 4 and Champions League football with it's riches and opportunities for squad enhancement and retention. I'm sure from purely a fans point of you, it could be more palatable if it was purely a knock out competition but that's never going to happen. Let's be honest, all the Europa League is, is yet another way of making money for certain powers that be, it's not just a certain few clubs around Europe or their owners, our governing bodies have their big snouts in the trough too! We fully aware of FIFA and past corrupt practices for their own ends and I don't see UEFA as being much different. 

9 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You're spot on about the progress element.

We're definitely ahead of schedule.

Anyone who thinks we're too good for the Europa League needs a reality check.

This! We have some very ungrateful fans and I question myself sometimes how long some of these people have been fans

• Like 1

Can't buy into this thinking Fuchs, Europa League is the barest of minimal consolations and will just be a reminder of how we choked again, for me at least, if we finish 5th.

I'd honestly rather not have European football next season, and have another decent crack at CL qualification without distractions - sorry if that offends some.

That said if we win the FA Cup and finish 5th it will be a slightly different scenario.

17 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

You can’t spend 74 game weeks out of 76 in the champions league places and not quality for the competition at least once. Shambles if that’s the case, I’d say. 

I think you and I have differing definitions of the word 'shambles'. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dayday said:

The Europa league will feel different when we get crowds back

Yeah this is a good point. Anyone talking down the Europa League will either quickly change their tune when they're in the ground under the lights and they realise European football is back on Filbert Way, or they won't be at the game at all so it won't matter. 

• Like 3

Right at the start, I thought a good season would be a decent cup run, out of the group stage in Europa and top half finish. FA Cup final, guarantee of European Football and a pretty ok Europa League run means it's been better than expected.

Would be gutted to miss out on CL if we were to fall out, but given the heavy schedule and injuries we've sustained throughout the season, it's been fantastic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm sure if you try really hard you'll be able to have two thoughts going in your brain at the same time - happy and grateful we're on for another top 6 finish and consecutive seasons of European football, disappointed we might again miss out on Champions League from a strong position. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Then Why did you even start...mate.

Sorry I didn't realise it was a thread for people only sharing your particular opinion. Although I should've realised when you simply said 'No other words needed' 

11 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

You poor boy...No respect for the clubs achievement..!! or competition

Reflect when it is time to do so! Achieve as much as you can, whilst the competition is underway.

The mentality you are instigating, for me, would create a mediocre culture, which I am not interested in.