Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

We are in Europe..!! You miserable Collection of Bar-stewards..!

Europa league is still a decent competition for us, especially for giving game time to young/squad players in the group stage.  With a stronger squad and less injuries we would go further in the competition should we end up there.

Obviously it will be a big disappointment if we miss out again and will also affect our summer transfer plans. The biggest concern is some of our top players will want UCL football at some point and more likely to be tempted away in the future if we keep failing to qualify

I think people are downplaying Europa League partly because we went out with a whimper without laying a glove on Slavia Prague over two legs. Had we gone out to United, Villarreal, Ajax etc in a tight affair over two legs I think the EL campaign would have been viewed more positively. I personally enjoyed the EL up to a point. 

The fact we are all arguing over whether qualifying for the Europa League constitutes disappointment really shows how far we have come.

We have raised expectations these days for sure, and I think we all want us to win as many games as possible and therefore finish the highest possible. I would love to see us in the Champions League, but the Europa League is not a bad 2nd prize - and remember one we could conceivably win if we took it seriously. 

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

If we fall out of the top four at the very end after being there for the whole season FOR THE SECOND YEAR RUNNING, I will be devastated. Frankly I’d be amazed if any Leicester fan didn’t feel that way.

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

You can’t spend 74 game weeks out of 76 in the champions league places and not quality for the competition at least once. Shambles if that’s the case, I’d say. 

I'd be DISAPPOINTED but not devastated. Going into admin and Div3 was devastating.

You can hardly say this season has been a shambles. Seriously!!

1 hour ago, Rusko187 said:

Would be gutted to miss out on CL if we were to fall out, but given the heavy schedule and injuries we've sustained throughout the season, it's been fantastic.

Voice of reason @Rusko187

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'd be DISAPPOINTED but not devastated. Going into admin and Div3 was devastating.

You can hardly say this season has been a shambles. Seriously!!

Div 3 was 13 YEARS AGO. Admin was nearly 20 YEARS AGO.  This has absolutely no bearing on our current situation  so I wish it was stopped mentioned every time top 4 is discusses.

"It'll be a shambles if we miss out on top 4 second season running after being in it virtually all the time"

"Yes but did you know we played Hereford 13 years ago?"

• Like 3

These threads keep appearing and what they often boil down to is the value of winning trophies versus the value of finishing high in the league: a Champions League place. Unfortunately the Champions League generates revenues that give those who qualify a massive advantage in terms of revenue and future potential, but in other ways it’s created the mentality that was the bedrock for the ESL idea. 

I can see both sides of the argument, but look at it this way. If we were to win the FA Cup and qualify for the Europa League this would rank as the 2nd best season I can remember following LCFC. There is an argument for saying it’s the 2nd best season in our history. If, then, next season we qualified for the Champions League, but won no trophies I’d still see this season as the 2nd best ever. A Europa League win would also beat qualifying for the CL IMO.

That’s not to say I don’t understand the arguments for the value of CL qualification and it will still be hugely disappointing if we miss out, again, this season 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I wasn't directly comparing us as a club now and then as you well know Koke.

There is a difference for me between being disappointed and being devastated.

I'll be disappointed if we lose tomorrow but don't think I'll be devastated.

I would've been disappointed if I hadn't got a ticket for tomorrow but I wouldn't have been devastated.

It's the overly emotive language which gets thrown around like confetti which I don't understand.

This is why I whinge about language. Words become rendered almost meaningless when used so liberally, but unfortunately, many people either don't agree it's important or don't understand why it's important. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

We did, and the prior event made the latter that much more meaningful. 

We can't directly compare our squad, or how the club was run 10-20 years ago, but you're spot on, we can rightly use it as a point of reference.

The lows make the highs now even sweeter.

Just now, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

We should set high standards and I’m pretty sure top and king power will be expecting champions league football after last years bottle job. You know the difference financially there is between the two. 

I'm not sure what point you're arguing here. You asked why people mention where we came from... Don't you think remembering that is important? 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I don't think people care that much because as you say, until you reach the semi's, there's little point in it. Financially it isn't very rewarding and arguably can be more damaging as it can have an effect on smaller squads trying to achieve that elusive top 4 and Champions League football with it's riches and opportunities for squad enhancement and retention. I'm sure from purely a fans point of you, it could be more palatable if it was purely a knock out competition but that's never going to happen. Let's be honest, all the Europa League is, is yet another way of making money for certain powers that be, it's not just a certain few clubs around Europe or their owners, our governing bodies have their big snouts in the trough too! We fully aware of FIFA and past corrupt practices for their own ends and I don't see UEFA as being much different. 

So...Leicester champion,East-Midlands champion,Midlands champion,English champion, UK Champion, European Champion, World Champion..und

Only the last Word Champion  means something..!!

various Sports people, and Teams, will continually fight & compete at these stages, over a Year or several years ,

some will have reached, competed in few  or even All , or didnt Quality out thereof.

Some might have even  Claimed all.

Does that mean those who were Not World champions, though only competed in all

or only realised Leicester or  UK champion successes are failures..??

We have only competed for CL once, Euro-L a handfull of times,

We have only competed for Top 4,without the title  but not yet once realised it....Disapointment, even Frustration does not Equal failure.!

especially when any Major project, will Need several Development stages & jump-starts.

In 2 seasons 99% of this forum would of accepted 6th & even 8th this season,according to pre-seasons posts.

The Club who over  most of its Time been  trying to beat its own shadow, only these last 6 seasons have  Upped the anti-slightly,

but only seen us once head of the pack..then only the  other 50% of the time competing for top 6-8th. The last small % rubbing noses with the idea of Top 4,

with depleted ,then decimated of our high-Octane Quality players for 30% then 85% of the seasons respectively...

Competing & reaching for Europe in these last 6 seasons, something seen as aspirations...Then just because against all odds sees us  even sitting 80% of the

time in those covetted Top 4 places somehow conveniently  forgetting the relative season is 38 games long n old..

where the higher quality clubs always see their given Quality & Ressources hit back during those last few EOS games run - in.

But we again After "competing" with the occasionally high Quality individual player, but lower quality all round playing group rescources than 6-8 of our competitors...We have still managed to Qualify in our First Real 2 attempts, TWICE for Europe...!!

ITS the EOS when the top Ressourced clubs Show their might,strengths  and their quality....Not mid-season.

We have just started to Aspire to those Fuzzy & dizzy heights, we have tasted some achievement but no consistent success....!

Yet its those Minority from within that will have these last 2 evolving, New Platform Building seasons...down as would be failures.. 

That hurts..( & I aint a snowflake)

Even though each Time we have improved on our Personal best....

Being ranked Top 4, does not mean you  have earnt that right to any entitled End-achievement, but also doesn't mean you have failed, when

your competitor has the far better all-round, longer available, until the bitter-end package....

We have stood proud, Kicked-ass, competed  with the best , but by a long-chalk  by no-means have we failed...

You Dont get to walk into the PL Top 4.... thats where pundits and many fans within,

have underrated the Task , what it needs & means,to get there ,hold & compete at that exceptional extra-level.

Plus underrated how strong our top 1-8 opponents/competitors actually are  (plus competitiveness of the other PL-teams)

Its the cynical immature use of , crap ,shit & awfull, then Lack of respect of opponents Ressources that Feeds the disrespect for the real situation.

If seems some brainwash themselves into being  content at being miserable,and if you dont achieve this or that within a specific time it can only be seen

as failure & lacking ambition, by totally ignoring some heavy mitigating circumstances...!

Its not Simply if you came 3rd and Not 1st .or you came 6th Not 4th...You have failed....Its also about if you Fell Short of ambitions, did you still Step up,

Within the Allround prognosis of achievements, have you lost or gained ground over the longer aspiring developing  periods..!

From my stance.... We can stop this back-stabbing laughing, under the table giggling, by taking & winning these last 3 games..

but if we dont, we gave it a Damn Good  try & slog in these last 2 Rodgers seasons, we havent failed one jot or iota,

we have achieved Europe twice..!!  and thats my  perspectives, being a Prophet is an hard task...its  knowing one is right makes it worthwhile..

Even if your First  rapport is to deny my idiosynchrosies which seem to desire nothing than more than to First Take the p*ss out of me as the wise clever messenger, than the words of actual wisdom I Lay down in front of you..:celebrate: :ermm:...

Sermon-over..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Look. Some people drink Fosters. Some people holiday at Pontins. Some people enjoy Coldplay, never miss the X Factor and think Ant & Dec are the best comedians they'll ever need. 

Some people just have lower standards. That's fine. These things are all subjective and if those people are happy being wrong then we should support them and be glad for them. 

Unfortunately, some of us want a little bit more out of life and that's OK too. 

You think if Vichai had listened to everyone that told him he couldn't do something, that he should be happy with what he's got and that he should just settle, he'd ever have owned Leicester City?

Imagine if Vards had listened when Wednesday told him he wasn't good enough to play football for a living and quit for good, never pushed himself, never took a risk, never dreamt a little bit bigger? 

I say **** the Europa League. We might be miserable if we miss out on the Champions League but that's because we're the dreamers, we're not settling, we're not listening when Sky and BT don't invite us to the party, we're up for gate crashing it anyway because frankly we think we're good enough and who cares if they don't? That's the Leicester way. 

You might be happy if we flop at the final hurdle in to "also rans" after another ENTIRE SEASON being top four but the rest of us have gotten excited, we've gotten our hopes up, we've gotten our eyes on something bigger and when we wake up on Christmas morning and realise Santa just bought us off brand Aldi duplo, we're going to have a little tantrum. 

We're still going to love the club, we're still going to love the players, we're still going to really be grateful for everything Rodgers has done and come back next year for another crack, but it's going to take us a few weeks to get over things and arrive at that. Demanding that we don't go through that process because we should just be happy to be improving? That doesn't sound like Leicester fans talking, it sounds like the patronising words of Sounness or Murphy. 

Soapbox dismounted (!!!!!!!!) 

Great post.  Need @Finnegan in the dressing room for the final 3 games.

No club has a divine right to win a trophy, to finish in a specific position, but we work against the financial odds to do our best in inhabiting the spaces where historic or rich clubs prevail. We may run out of steam, it is not shame, it is the potential current reality.

It would be disappointing to not the win the FA Cup, it would be disappointing not to qualify for the Champions League, but we should not expect we have some right to do so, there is always context, so lambasting Rodgers, the manager is fine if judged against said context.

Will also echo this point, does anyone seriously think those clubs who win trophies, finish in the CL places truly understand the value of our title win, and if we win the FA Cup, our FA Cup win. Of course they don’t, they can’t, they are the football clubs who are selected to be where they are, who have all the riches earned over decades, there victories are expected, insisted upon.

I believe we will win one of the two, maybe even both, but to judge the end point now, when it is still on the table is missing the work involved, the hill upon which we endeavour, is intentionally belittling the struggle.

• Like 2

Guest Danny Clender

I was properly into the European games.

The league stage was incredible and we looked commanding as well, I was definitely preparing for the final.

JJ out for the season and losing to Prague are still my two most disappointing moments of the season ( I hope nothing usurps that list)

I guarantee the downer of this season's campaign would have been different had the Blarmeh have been there, so hopefully next season that connection will be made.

Either comp, I'm happy with as I sit here listening to Coldplay, searching for holiday deals at Pontins in between watching classic Ant and Dec moments on YouTube. 

Little Ant and Dec, funniest thing ever... :clap: 

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I don't think people care that much because as you say, until you reach the semi's, there's little point in it. Financially it isn't very rewarding and arguably can be more damaging as it can have an effect on smaller squads trying to achieve that elusive top 4 and Champions League football with it's riches and opportunities for squad enhancement and retention. I'm sure from purely a fans point of you, it could be more palatable if it was purely a knock out competition but that's never going to happen. Let's be honest, all the Europa League is, is yet another way of making money for certain powers that be, it's not just a certain few clubs around Europe or their owners, our governing bodies have their big snouts in the trough too! We fully aware of FIFA and past corrupt practices for their own ends and I don't see UEFA as being much different. 

So Finish 9th & make sure the Money-grabbing-dregs  do not get their hands on any of our  moral earnt monies...

Edited by fuchsntf

Even if we lose the FA Cup final, I will still be proud of how much our lads have achieved, despite injuries. What does it take to keep some people happy? The true fans will be those who support us through thick and thin. As for those who constantly knock the team, they are mere mindless fools.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

No club has a divine right to win a trophy, to finish in a specific position, but we work against the financial odds to do our best in inhabiting the spaces where historic or rich clubs prevail. We may run out of steam, it is not shame, it is the potential current reality.

It would be disappointing to not the win the FA Cup, it would be disappointing not to qualify for the Champions League, but we should not expect we have some right to do so, there is always context, so lambasting Rodgers, the manager is fine if judged against said context.

Will also echo this point, does anyone seriously think those clubs who win trophies, finish in the CL places truly understand the value of our title win, and if we win the FA Cup, our FA Cup win. Of course they don’t, they can’t, they are the football clubs who are selected to be where they are, who have all the riches earned over decades, there victories are expected, insisted upon.

I believe we will win one of the two, maybe even both, but to judge the end point now, when it is still on the table is missing the work involved, the hill upon which we endeavour, is intentionally belittling the struggle.

Excellent...

10 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Even if we lose the FA Cup final, I will still be proud of how much our lads have achieved, despite injuries. What does it take to keep some people happy? The true fans will be those who support us through thick and thin. As for those who constantly knock the team, they are mere mindless fools.

There are some in the fanbase - just like life in general - who are always stretching too hard for the next thing that they'll never be happy.

You have to be able to enjoy the moments. Definitely learnt this as I've got into middle age.

• Like 2