Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

31 minutes ago, murphy said:

How does he learn unless we play him?

Thomas should be first choice, at least until Justin is back 

Totally disagree. Thomas doesn't have any of that forward attacking play that Justin possesses. He also isn't as pacey, not as athletic and doesn't possess height or strength in the box. He should be no2 behind Bertrand at best.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
34 minutes ago, murphy said:

Theyll all play over 20 games next year. And JJ will take some time to recover.

44 minutes ago, murphy said:

By easing him in slowly. A bit like how Pep has with Foden. We’ll be taking part in 4 competitions again so will get plenty of game time . 

1 hour ago, baldeagle said:

By easing him in slowly. A bit like how Pep has with Foden. We’ll be taking part in 4 competitions again so will get plenty of game time . 

Fair enough, but I think he is past that stage now.

Left back is a strange one.  Surely we signed Castagne to play there, having just lost Chilwell and Justin was supposed to be cover. 

We seem to be collecting full backs at the moment and going from Chilwell to Bertrand via Justin, Thomas and Castagne seems strange.

If Ricardo has a full pre season and gets back to form where does all this leave Castagne?

I'm not in favour of signing players just to cover injuries.  An unnecessary addition to the wage bill imo.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, murphy said:

Left back is a strange one.  Surely we signed Castagne to play there, having just lost Chilwell and Justin was supposed to be cover. 

We seem to be collecting full backs at the moment and going from Chilwell to Bertrand via Justin, Thomas and Castagne seems strange.

If Ricardo has a full pre season and gets back to form where does all this leave Castagne?

I'm not in favour of signing players just to cover injuries.  An unnecessary addition to the wage bill imo.

I think Ricardo prior to his injuries would have been the one to leave next the guy was on fire hence the possible forward planning with Castagne or him to replace Chilwell . With injuries etc Justin got thrown in and was excellent. I think if we get Bertrand in for a year that will give us a bit of time to get the others back up to speed and relieve some of the pressure of Thomas . Plus we need a few older heads in the squad with a few Leaving . Will he pull up trees nah but he’s a good solid pro to have for free and a back up strengthens the squad and leave us money to spend else where 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think he's seen Thomas develop enough over the past 12 months to have faith in him as a more regular starter next season, with Bertrand coming in as an experienced rotation option on the left who will get plenty of game time in the Europa group stages etc. This will also take the pressure off JJ with his recovery and not rush him back like we tried to with Ricardo. 

Castagne will compete with Ricardo for the right back spot and can still slot in as left back if needed. I think the reason they went for a versatile full back like Castagne was because of the concerns over Ricardo's recovery and Castagne could cover both sides. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Arguably from what Southampton fans say neither does Bertrand? Statistically Thomas has been much better offensively this past season than Bertrand has been.

We should be putting faith in our young player who stepped up in one of the clubs biggest weeks in its history rather than Bertrand who is being brought in as backup.

They both play completely different systems and how does Thomas have any Flair and pace goung forward? He doesn't and I'm afraid that you either have that or you don't. 

You are right about Bertrand but they play him deep in with defence and midfield rather than on the wing. 

JJ isn't going to start the season so we must keep thomas. However my long term view is that his game doesn't suit our style I.e. Castagna.

27 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

May not have the flair and pace of players like Ricardo, Castagne or JJ etc. but that doesn't mean he can't be effective going forward.

He has played 1000 less minutes than Castagne yet has just 2 less goal contributions this season, not bad for a 19 year old no?

Are you just assuming we are never going to play anything other than 3/5 at the back? Have you never watched a game where he has a winger infront of him and how good he was with Barnes?

Has that been the case for all of Bertrands career? Because the most goal contributions he has managed in an entire season is 7. In his first full season where he only really played the 2nd half Thomas has managed 4.

Are you already wanting to write off a local 19 year old who in one of the biggest weeks for the club scored an absolute banger away at Man Utd and also played brilliantly and got an assist in an FA Cup Final? He has also only played the equivalent of about 24 games for us?

I'm making my judgement not just because of him coming in and playing in the 1st 25 this season (because of injury mainly!), but every development game for the few years before. Did you? Because I can tell you now that he doesn't possess what all of our other defensive wing backs have and he never will. When we were firing in the first half of the season it was because JJ and Castagna were in sync and therefore giving balance to the team and that's been part of our problem of late, on the wings its unbalanced.

One off goals and so on are irrelevant. Of course I'd like all of our local lads to succeed and I took my 3 year old nephew to his first foxes football club last week! 

I'm adamant that when I think personally that you could put Albrighton in Thomas's position and he'd play better, and Albrighton has the added deadball skillset too, then you have a player that isn't as capable as the club he's with.

I'd be honest with my 3yr old nephew even if it ruined his life!...

6 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I'm making my judgement not just because of him coming in and playing in the 1st 25 this season (because of injury mainly!), but every development game for the few years before. Did you? Because I can tell you now that he doesn't possess what all of our other defensive wing backs have and he never will. When we were firing in the first half of the season it was because JJ and Castagna were in sync and therefore giving balance to the team and that's been part of our problem of late, on the wings its unbalanced.

One off goals and so on are irrelevant. Of course I'd like all of our local lads to succeed and I took my 3 year old nephew to his first foxes football club last week! 

I'm adamant that when I think personally that you could put Albrighton in Thomas's position and he'd play better, and Albrighton has the added deadball skillset too, then you have a player that isn't as capable as the club he's with.

Winger Albrighton who can’t even get a game in his best position at left back

1 minute ago, UHDrive said:

No, because I know it is stupid to form an opinion on a player based on just his development games (especially with the way our development teams play) and the equivalent of half a season of first team footbal;. Especially when you consider Chilwell who was barely any better for us than Thomas has just won a UCL.

Did you ever bother to think that JJ and Castagne benefitted from playing in our strongest system with wingers ahead of them?

Why are they irrelevant? Does it not show that he does have the capability to contribute to the team in an attacking sense?

Thankfully Brendan seems to rate the lad, as do many other Leicester fans. Honestly feel sorry for any of our development lads that could come through that their own fans aren't willing to give them a chance.

Anyway I am not going to bother with this anymore. This is the Bertrand thread and if he can come in and do a job as cover for half a season until JJ is back then great.

• Like 3

Assuming Ricardo comes back to full strength (no safe assumption, though it wouldn't be atypical for the timeline of ACL recoveries) I think Castagne goes back to LB and Thomas is the primary backup until JJ returns.  That still leaves room for Bertrand as a squad player of course, but 5 fullbacks after Justin is back seems a trifle excessive.  A lot obviously depends on Justin's timeline, but he likely won't be the same player next season even if he comes back.  And if Ricardo is back to pre-injury form, he's out the door next summer, Chestnuts is back at RB, and JJ and Thomas can fight over LB.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I assume JJ is still first choice. 

I can see JJ going back to left back and Thomas being cover. Ricky and Castagne on the other side. 

Bertrand replaces Fuchs as free, end of career cover. We could do much worse Tbf. 

JJ won't be back to full swing until after Xmas though so I do agree that Bertrand makes perfect sense. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

JJ won't be back to full swing until after Xmas though so I do agree that Bertrand makes perfect sense. 

I can’t see him being back to full fitness until the following season if we are lucky as there could be setbacks 

• Like 2

On 29/05/2021 at 16:25, UHDrive said:

Totally disagree. Thomas doesn't have any of that forward attacking play that Justin possesses. He also isn't as pacey, not as athletic and doesn't possess height or strength in the box. He should be no2 behind Bertrand at best.

Thomas is a better footballer when it comes to techique and footballing brain than Justin for me, although Justin's incredible athletic ability means he can create something out of nothing in a split second.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
On 30/05/2021 at 10:47, Deeg67 said:

Assuming Ricardo comes back to full strength (no safe assumption, though it wouldn't be atypical for the timeline of ACL recoveries) I think Castagne goes back to LB and Thomas is the primary backup until JJ returns.  That still leaves room for Bertrand as a squad player of course, but 5 fullbacks after Justin is back seems a trifle excessive.  A lot obviously depends on Justin's timeline, but he likely won't be the same player next season even if he comes back.  And if Ricardo is back to pre-injury form, he's out the door next summer, Chestnuts is back at RB, and JJ and Thomas can fight over LB.

Remember that Rodgers sees Ricardo as a viable right win option too.

We could easily line up first game of the season like this....

Kasper

Timmy, Wesley, Jonny, Bertrand

Youri, ndidi, maddison

Ricardo, edouard, Barnes

That leaves out Justin who could fill in at left back or right back (unlikely to be fit I know), Soumare, vardy, Iheanacho, soyuncu, Thomas, maybe praet, mendy, kdh and possibly a new right winger.

3/4 quality signings this year and we're going to have genuine depth.