Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

54 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

If it isn't bertrand for any reason the my shout would be Tagliafico.

Is it just me, or does anyone else read into Fab's tweets that the left back might be a surprise? He's not normally shy of throwing names around, and Bertrand fits into the so-obvious-as-to-go-without-saying category, but instead he keeps mentioning a 'new left back'. My reading? 1 - it's not Gosens, who isn't primarily a LB, and 2 - it's not Bertrand...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Didn't Fab flat-out say it was Bertrand?

Interestingly enough he's never mentioned a name. Bertrand is the obvious target given he's available for free and has worked with Rodgers in the past, but we've been linked with quite a few names; Gosens, Nuno Mendes and Bertrand. The first two are out of our reach now I feel, but Leicester are one of those teams that will pull a rabbit out of the hat and come up with someone no one has even talked about. Daka it felt like came out of nowhere after all, the same with Soumare and last season Fofana.

But Bertrand makes the most sense because it's good squad depth. Covers the position, doesn't stop Thomas progressing and / or JJ getting that spot back when fit and doesn't cost any money in terms of transfer fee. But it depends what we want from the position, the Gosens link makes it sound like we want more of a wing-back position. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else read into Fab's tweets that the left back might be a surprise? He's not normally shy of throwing names around, and Bertrand fits into the so-obvious-as-to-go-without-saying category, but instead he keeps mentioning a 'new left back'. My reading? 1 - it's not Gosens, who isn't primarily a LB, and 2 - it's not Bertrand...

Yeah I might be reading too much into it but I agree. I wonder if there are a few options. Nuno Mendes would be one that might happen - another young player who's quoted for a big fee but will probably go for half of what's been quoted like soyuncu did. It would happen late in the window and will depend on whether Lisbon need the cash.

It could well be Bertrand but I just can't see us offering him 2 years. 

It might be someone that's not been linked but I definitely get the impression a rabbit will be pulled from a hat.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
56 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Isn't he now available for around £10m? Interesting.

12-17m quoted and probably wants 50k a week max (quoted as on 25k).

Bertrand for example would probably want 80k and a signing on bonus.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Yeah I might be reading too much into it but I agree. I wonder if there are a few options. Nuno Mendes would be one that might happen - another young player who's quoted for a big fee but will probably go for half of what's been quoted like soyuncu did. It would happen late in the window and will depend on whether Lisbon need the cash.

It could well be Bertrand but I just can't see us offering him 2 years. 

It might be someone that's not been linked but I definitely get the impression a rabbit will be pulled from a hat.

Sporting would never be that kind to us. Whatever the fee is, double it.

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

There's absolutely no chance that we give a 30+ Ryan Bertrand 80k to be a squad rotation option. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There's absolutely no chance that we give a 30+ Ryan Bertrand 80k to be a squad rotation option. 

I agree - he was on 70k at Southampton though.

6 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I agree - he was on 70k at Southampton though.

I think the reality for players Bertrand's age and ability is that from now to the end of his career contracts are probably going to get smaller, not larger. 

• Like 4

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I think the reality for players Bertrand's age and ability is that from now to the end of his career contracts are probably going to get smaller, not larger. 

You'd have said the same about Evans when we signed him. Doubled his pay.

Depends on how many offers he's got - there's plenty of interest apparently, and from clubs that throw money around.

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

You'd have said the same about Evans when we signed him. Doubled his pay.

I actually wouldn't have, to be honest. Evans was in high demand, is a highly regarded professional, a natural leader and someone for whom athleticism is not a crucial part of his game. 

Ryan Bertrand is a nearly 32 year old full back being released on a free because his lower mid table club don't really need him anymore.

His career is absolutely moving to its final stages. He can come here, be backup, get a bit of European football and accept a likely two year contract on a fraction of what he was on at Soton or he can go and pimp himself out to Championship / relegation fodder Prem clubs for a starting place. 

He's probably likely to get paid more if he can start a bidding war amongst the latter tbqh. 

I see no incentive for us to pay over the odds for him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I actually wouldn't have, to be honest. Evans was in high demand, is a highly regarded professional, a natural leader and someone for whom athleticism is not a crucial part of his game. 

Ryan Bertrand is a nearly 32 year old full back being released on a free because his lower mid table club don't really need him anymore.

His career is absolutely moving to its final stages. He can come here, be backup, get a bit of European football and accept a likely two year contract on a fraction of what he was on at Soton or he can go and pimp himself out to Championship / relegation fodder Prem clubs for a starting place. 

He's probably likely to get paid more if he can start a bidding war amongst the latter tbqh. 

I see no incentive for us to pay over the odds for him. 

He actually turned down a new deal from Southampton

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

He actually turned down a new deal from Southampton

Presumably because they wanted to give him either a lot less money or a lot less time than he was hoping for. Which, again, we should probably be doing. 

I think he's a smart piece of business, by the way. I don't particularly object to signing him. I just don't think it should be for a lot of money and I doubt it is. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Presumably because they wanted to give him either a lot less money or a lot less time than he was hoping for. Which, again, we should probably be doing. 

I think he's a smart piece of business, by the way. I don't particularly object to signing him. I just don't think it should be for a lot of money and I doubt it is. 

They only offered him a year but on 70k I believe so I assume we'd have to top that. 

7 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Even at 80k over the course of 2 years, that's only 8.3m outlay.

Tagliafico, although younger, will be 29 in August so the resale argument is out of the question really for him too.

It'd never be 80k base anyway. As a rotation player he'd likely be on a high appearance fee with a lower base. 

I can't help but think as a LB (Fuchs) and RB (Simpson) that there speed and agility markedly dropped off between 32-34yrs old. Simpson carried on the better of the 2 and even with Huddersfield he wasn't played bad. 

I'm not a fan of him here for anything other than a year but the only saving grace for 2 years is the facility's we have at seagrave will keep him in tip top condition and manage him.