Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

4 hours ago, enmac said:

Is Bertrand a definite? If not, what about Patrick van Aanholt? Out of contract. 

Throw in Cahill as a back up CB as well? Experience and relatively cheap option. 

Cahill is finished, he's 36 in December. PVA however wouldn't be a bad shout and he was probably at Chelsea when Rodgers was. He is being linked with a move to Inter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

Cahill is finished, he's 36 in December. PVA however wouldn't be a bad shout and he was probably at Chelsea when Rodgers was. He is being linked with a move to Inter. 

Think Bertrand was at Reading with Rodgers too in the 2009-2010 season.

10 hours ago, MPH said:

we are wanting a team with some experienced heads, specifically in defense. We’ve lost some huge influences back there.

I saw Soyuncu and Fofana go to pieces when Evans had to withdraw at short notice, but I ain't seen Luke Thomas, in a significant run of games, perform at anything less than competency and mostly better than competent.

Some players, as some people in life, mature earlier than the norm. Whether he'll sustain that level of focus is impossible to say, but I'm with Ric there in stating that any transfer in, except maybe someone as good as Gosens, would be as back-up to Thomas. Anything other than a straight estimation on the training ground as to who starts would be an insult to the lad on his performance for the team so far.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, gerblod said:

I saw Soyuncu and Fofana go to pieces when Evans had to withdraw at short notice, but I ain't seen Luke Thomas, in a significant run of games, perform at anything less than competency and mostly better than competent.

Some players, as some people in life, mature earlier than the norm. Whether he'll sustain that level of focus is impossible to say, but I'm with Ric there in stating that any transfer in, except maybe someone as good as Gosens, would be as back-up to Thomas. Anything other than a straight estimation on the training ground as to who starts would be an insult to the lad on his performance for the team so far.

It is often at CB and CDM where you find a team's most experienced players. Ndidi, Fofana and Soyuncu together even though individually highly talented still lack that hard experience. We need to find a balance between youth and experience at the back . Bertrand and ideally Tarkowski would give us that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

You must have missed a couple matches, then.

50 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

It is often at CB and CDM where you find a team's most experienced players. Ndidi, Fofana and Soyuncu together even though individually highly talented still lack that hard experience. We need to find a balance between youth and experience at the back . Bertrand and ideally Tarkowski would give us that.

You can find experienced players all over the pitch no matter what the team in the leugue and that goes for inexperienced too. It matters not where the players position is and is important not to pigeon whole these players. 

With experience comes youth and vice versa. 

I've said in the past that we've had Evans, Castagna and RP (coming back and experienced). But then we've also had big W and Fuchs on the bench who will be giving them pep talks. Our defence isn't that immature. JJ was learning his trade and will come back into the fold as a young and both sided defensive cover. Ndidi and Mendy are BOTH experienced. Tielemans is running the show over the last season in particular and yet you could say the same about him. 

You mention "hard experience" about Fofana and Soyuncu and I think this is rubbish. When we had injuries throughout the season and they were playing on their own 2/3 times a week they looked absolutely accomplished. Fofana has at times been pulled into a 3 at the back for a first time and as much as Soyuncu was OK at playing LCB, he wasn't the best at playing RCB. 

Some of these issues are as much about players doing different things and in different positions, together with injuries, as they are about what the fans perceptions of their game is as well.

8 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

You can find experienced players all over the pitch no matter what the team in the leugue and that goes for inexperienced too. It matters not where the players position is and is important not to pigeon whole these players. 

I've said in the past that we've had Evans, Castagna and RP (coming back and experienced). But then we've also had big W and Fuchs on the bench who will be giving them pep talks. Our defence isn't that immature. JJ was learning his trade and will come back into the fold as a young and both sided defensive cover. Ndidi and Mendy are BOTH experienced. Tielemans is running the show over the last season in particular and yet you could say the same about him. 

You mention "hard experience" about Fofana and Soyuncu and I think this is rubbish. When we had injuries throughout the season and they were playing on their own 2/3 times a week they looked absolutely accomplished. Fofana has at times been pulled into a 3 at the back for a first time and as much as Soyuncu was OK at playing LCB, he wasn't the best at playing RCB. 

Some of these issues are as much about players doing different things and in different positions, together with injuries, as they are about what the fans perceptions of their game is as well.

Of course you have a valid position , nothing is cut and dried , but when Jonny is absent I always worry about our defence breaking under pressure. I am hoping we can start the season with Pereira , Evans , Soyuncu and Bertrand at the back . Fofana and Thomas have  their whole career in front of them so can afford to be patient. Casteigne is going to need some time anyway to recover his confidence.

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Of course you have a valid position , nothing is cut and dried , but when Jonny is absent I always worry about our defence breaking under pressure. I am hoping we can start the season with Pereira , Evans , Soyuncu and Bertrand at the back . Fofana and Thomas have  their whole career in front of them so can afford to be patient. Casteigne is going to need some time anyway to recover his confidence.

Why would Castagna need to recover his confidence? He is back in the Belgium camp already looking happy and knows that he can train and play. 

Soyuncu won't jump ahead of Fofana in a back 4 pairing, Fofana will be paired with Evans on the right and fofana on the left. In a 3 at the back ideally would be left to right Fofana, Evans and Soyuncu.

Depending on the squad at the end of the window then Thomas needs loaning out to a top 10 championship sise if we have the numbers.

Just because a player is young doesn't mean that their talent should be overlooked  because of this. Some players mature rapidly with a lot of confidence at a young age.

27 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

When did this happen? As I remember it, they barely played together on their own. If one wasn't injured, the other one was. IIRC, on the rare occasion they did play together without Evans with them, we didn't play well. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's how I remember it.

5 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Why would Castagna need to recover his confidence? He is back in the Belgium camp already looking happy and knows that he can train and play. 

Soyuncu won't jump ahead of Fofana in a back 4 pairing, Fofana will be paired with Evans on the right and fofana on the left. In a 3 at the back ideally would be left to right Fofana, Evans and Soyuncu.

Depending on the squad at the end of the window then Thomas needs loaning out to a top 10 championship sise if we have the numbers.

Just because a player is young doesn't mean that their talent should be overlooked  because of this. Some players mature rapidly with a lot of confidence at a young age.

Maybe confidence attacking the ball, going up for 50/50s etc?

7 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

When did this happen? As I remember it, they barely played together on their own. If one wasn't injured, the other one was. IIRC, on the rare occasion they did play together without Evans with them, we didn't play well. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's how I remember it.

Apart from the cup final for 70 minutes

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Maybe confidence attacking the ball, going up for 50/50s etc?

Naturally I'd agree with you on this if it was brought for his entourage saying he's ready for the season and presin. I can see the point though.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The club have a medical booked in for today. No idea who yet but the obvious player would be Bertrand.

Unless it's a youth that's probably the best bet

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The club have a medical booked in for today. No idea who yet but the obvious player would be Bertrand.

Unless anyone can check out soumare’s social media to see if he’s been absent for five days then it can’t be him !

so would be strong odds on a U.K. resident and we’re only linked to one 

18 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Around the aston villa result when we lost at home, I remember as I was so hacked off! There were a few games after that when I seen them together and I thought they were fantastic, bouncing off each other almost. 

In-between that time though I remember BR utilising Morgan and a back 3 with Fuchs occasionally. 

Are we being a bit OTT here about left-back worries.

We start the season with Thomas and Bertrand but they both get injured...

We then have JJ coming back but also have Ricardo or Castagne who can play the position whilst the other covers RB. I know there's a lot of games but two players for every position should be enough? It just seems weird we should be worried if 3 x LB's get injured - If we are going down this road we've only got 3 strikers (of course I'm not counting Perez :ph34r:)!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Unless anyone can check out soumare’s social media to see if he’s been absent for five days then it can’t be him !

so would be strong odds on a U.K. resident and we’re only linked to one 

Wouldn’t be Soumare - fab said that’s all done

4 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Around the aston villa result when we lost at home, I remember as I was so hacked off! There were a few games after that when I seen them together and I thought they were fantastic, bouncing off each other almost. 

In-between that time though I remember BR utilising Morgan and a back 3 with Fuchs occasionally. 

I think your memory must be playing tricks, as Soyuncu had a long-term injury in the first half of the season. He didn't play in that Villa game in October. I think his next league appearance after that was as a sub against Newcastle away in January.

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

Are we being a bit OTT here about left-back worries.

We start the season with Thomas and Bertrand but they both get injured...

We then have JJ coming back but also have Ricardo or Castagne who can play the position whilst the other covers RB. I know there's a lot of games but two players for every position should be enough? It just seems weird we should be worried if 3 x LB's get injured - If we are going down this road we've only got 3 strikers (of course I'm not counting Perez :ph34r:)!

I think it's JJ's injury that means getting another LB in is quite important. He won't be available for the first half of the season, and then it will take him a while to get back up to speed. I agree - two players for every position should be enough, but we can't count JJ until January, so we don't have that.