Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

Shrewd signing. Given the way that Ricardo has been eased back into the team I can't see JJ playing much at all this season, even when he gets back in the new year. Gives us depth and an experienced pro on a free. No complaints whatsoever from me! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

Wonder why Fab was being so mysterious?

Someone was saying that Romano's contacts come from the agent side of things. May just be a case of him not having the same working relationship with agents here that he does abroad so the info wasn't concrete. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Wonder why Fab was being so mysterious?

Be an interesting couple of days. If the theory about signing one of Gosens/Berardi is correct then Fab is probably keeping quiet so that he can announce the Berardi one as a big exclusive shortly. 

• Like 1

Just now, AjcW said:

Be an interesting couple of days. If the theory about signing one of Gosens/Berardi is correct then Fab is probably keeping quiet so that he can announce the Berardi one as a big exclusive shortly. 

The fact that he's said nothing yet, and he's usually hot on the Italian clubs, makes me wonder 

Solid option, another experienced head in an otherwise pretty young back line (especially when Evans isn't playing), and you'd imagine he'd be content with limited minutes as and when Thomas/JJ are challenging for the spot. Certainly good enough for a Europa league squad.

Gosens would have been an amazing signing, but keeping everyone happy whilst also giving our youngsters the opportunities they need to keep developing would make him a difficult one to accommodate with the rest of the squad. Besides, spending big on a full back would've taken funds away from other priorities this summer.

Very happy with this.

• Like 1

Shrewd signing. On a free so can't complain. 

Gives us the opportunity to focus on spending transfer money on other parts of the squad. Meanwhile we get a very experienced player to the back line and adds to our depth. Means Castagne and Pereira can focus on the right, Thomas* and Bertrand on the left. Justin as the versatile option as well. 

*Thomas will benefit hugely from someone of Bertrand's experience to learn from. Like Fuchs, Bertrand fills that spot.

• Like 2

About as exciting as a kiss from Grandma but a solid signing on a free.  A steady hand at the tiller who's probably not going to do much to win or lose a match for you, and (on a good team) a high-end squad player.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, JamesfromlondonLCFC said:

This strikes me as another Jonny Evans type signing. Could look back on this next year and think we've had another moment of genius

Evans signed when he was 30 though, Bertrand will be 32 when the season starts.

I'm still not sure of the benefits of this signing.

I know we have had injuries at full back, but we have 3 very good, experienced full backs when fit and one very exciting young prospect. Bertrand is a left back, where 3 of the 4 can play to a pretty high standard. I'd rather see Justin and Thomas keep improving than seeing Bertand taking minutes off them and stiffling that.