Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

16 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

About as exciting as a kiss from Grandma but a solid signing on a free.  A steady hand at the tiller who's probably not going to do much to win or lose a match for you, and (on a good team) a high-end squad player.

How old's your Grandma?...

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'm still not sure of the benefits of this signing.

I know we have had injuries at full back, but we have 3 very good, experienced full backs when fit and one very exciting young prospect. Bertrand is a left back, where 3 of the 4 can play to a pretty high standard. I'd rather see Justin and Thomas keep improving than seeing Bertand taking minutes off them and stiffling that.

In an ideal scenario all of what you say is true. But look back to where we had to rely on Fuchs on and off the pitch and that at no point under Rodgers have we showed any sign of being injury free it shows that this is a handy signing. If he keeps out Thomas or Justin (highly doubtful when back fit) then he'll be having a purple swansong as his goals and assists record in recent seasons is awful.

Guest Kopfkino
8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I know we have had injuries at full back, but we have 3 very good, experienced full backs when fit and one very exciting young prospect. Bertrand is a left back, where 3 of the 4 can play to a pretty high standard. I'd rather see Justin and Thomas keep improving than seeing Bertand taking minutes off them and stiffling that.

Well Justin isn’t going to be fit until the second half of the season and if Ricardo is anything to go by, not at his level next season at all.  Neither Castagne or Ricardo showed themselves to really be LBs - Brendan basically said as much about Castagne when he said he could t show his strengths on the left.

Thomas and Bertrand to rotate LB looks good to me and Bertrand could slot into a 3 atb

Edited by Kopfkino

He's 32 in August so a bit older than when Evans joined us. But hell get minutes in the Europa League and other cups plus he can slot on as a 3rd CB in a back 3. Decent signing. 

Guest SO1
1 minute ago, weller54 said:

How old's your Grandma?...

Asking for a friend.

If a 20 yo mom had a child who got married when she was 20 and had a child that would make the mom a grandmom and she would be 40 ....right?

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

In an ideal scenario all of what you say is true. But look back to where we had to rely on Fuchs on and off the pitch and that at no point under Rodgers have we showed any sign of being injury free it shows that this is a handy signing. If he keeps out Thomas or Justin (highly doubtful when back fit) then he'll be having a purple swansong as his goals and assists record in recent seasons is awful.

3 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Well Justin isn’t going to be fit until the second half of the season and if Ricardo is anything to go by, not at his level next season at all.  Neither Castagne or Ricardo showed themselves to really be LBs - Brendan basically said as much about Castagne when he said he could t show his strengths on the left.

Thomas and Bertrand to rotate LB looks good to me and Bertrand could slot into a 3 atb

If that's what we're looking for, him to be used rarely, but to be adequate cover when we have a big injury problems or are resting players in early rounds of cups then I'm happy with it. If he's taking minutes away from younger prospects them I'm not happy. Probably harsh on Bertrand, but I can't get the Ryan Bennett signing out my head and keep wondering why Southampton weren't keen to keep him on themselves.

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

If a 20 yo mom had a child who got married when she was 20 and had a child that would make the mom a grandmom and she would be 40 ....right?

I can beat that.  I once knew a grandmother who was 32 :D

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

If that's what we're looking for, him to be used rarely, but to be adequate cover when we have a big injury problems or are resting players in early rounds of cups then I'm happy with it. If he's taking minutes away from younger prospects them I'm not happy. Probably harsh on Bertrand, but I can't get the Ryan Bennett signing out my head and keep wondering why Southampton weren't keen to keep him on themselves.

OUCH!

Regarding Saints, fans reckon he went as he wanted the 3 year contract, something they were not prepared to offer.

12 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It'll will be a big risk going into the season with 3 full backs when we will be playing European football as well. JJ will most likely not be back until Christmas and Castagne might not get a full pre season in due to his eye socket injury. Bertrand on a free 1 year contract is low risk and if he comes in to play the early round in the domestic cups and Europa league, it will reduce the risk of fatigue and injuries to the first choice full backs. 

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Good signing.

Gosens was the "sexier" option, but we have Luke Thomas coming through who let's not forget both played in and won an FA Cup Final for us. His goal against Man United and performance against Chelsea in the final proves he is Premier League quality already at 19 years old, and will only get better. And that's discounting the English Roberto Carlos that is James Justin who when back to full fitness will hopefully get back to player of the season levels of good. 

It also means more money available, hopefully for a winger. A summer of Daka, Soumare, Bertrand and good quality winger, plus Tielemans contract extension would be a very good one for me. Our squad is already good, this window just makes it better. 

Do you ever bored of posting genuine quality posts?

With your way with words you must be class on Tinder after getting a match.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Do you ever bored of posting genuine quality posts?

With your way with words you must be class on Tinder after getting a match.

I'm about as good at getting a match as Danny Ward is for Leicester. 

Rare occurrence! lol

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I agree, if he starts over Thomas and isn't as good as him but still gets picked then I'll be annoyed. Thomas's form will continue to be up and down so Bertrand playing some games is fine.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree, if he starts over Thomas and isn't as good as him but still gets picked then I'll be annoyed. Thomas's form will continue to be up and down so Bertrand playing some games is fine.

With 400 games under his belt I think we all know how good Bertrand is. The Southampton fans say he is an unspectacular player , who reads the game well and makes few errors and that is fine with me.

• Like 2