Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

Decent signing, will be up to Luke Thomas to displace him from the starting 11, it’s a shame that James Justin has such a bad injury as he would be first choice at left back… 

Shrewd acquisition, good experience with enough ability and gas in the tank to provide genuine competition on the left side. Obviously recall the red card in the 9-0, but I remember him scoring a belter at their place the season before, not that we are banking on him scoring goals. Experience at the back is key, and much needed, especially if Evans is absent for any length of time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Free transfer

Decent back up

Premier League experience

Hasn't played under anti football managers so he can play football. 

Suggesting that a player who has played under the direction of an 'anti-football' manager, to the tactics and style that manager insists on, can't play football is daft.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

Decent signing, will be up to Luke Thomas to displace him from the starting 11, it’s a shame that James Justin has such a bad injury as he would be first choice at left back… 

Up to Luke Thomas to displace him or up to Bertrand to displace Thomas? Both should probably have the mentality of proving their worthy of their place but I don't agree that Bertrand waltzes in here above Thomas based on last season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Justin and Thomas can learn a hell of a lot from this signing if it happens. Bertrand still has a bit to give and IMO one thing we have lacked at times is a spot of experience.

I think Ryan will start the season until JJ is fully fit. Im not sure where it leaves LT to be honest as he needs game time to keep improving.

1 minute ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Thomas starts all day long. The reason we’re signing Bertrand is to provide backup to Luke as he continues his development and to allow us not to rush JJ back. 

Results will determine who plays , Rodgers will drop anybody who doesn't perform , we have choices now. I expect Bertrand to start PL matches but he will have to come straight in on his A game.

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

It’s signings like this that make me hope we’re really taking all competitions very seriously this season. Would love the League Cup or Europa League to add to Vardy and Kasper’s collection. Either that or top 4 would be amazing. 

How about all three?

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think 'great' is a bit hyperbolic. It's a decent signing. Gives us squad depth and more options.

It's "great" in terms of it ticks loads of boxes that we really needed, rather than "great" as in he's a great player and we're expecting prime Roberto Carlos. He's a player who will be in decline, but replaces Fuchs in the squad and provides experience, backup and he can still play a bit, whilst at 32 won't expect to play all the time, so it aids our younger players development also. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

It’s signings like this that make me hope we’re really taking all competitions very seriously this season. Would love the League Cup or Europa League to add to Vardy and Kasper’s collection. Either that or top 4 would be amazing. 

It's absolutely mental that my attitude how now gone from "I just want to win the FA Cup to complete the set", to "I want to win the UEFA Cup" lol

I absolutely will retire from going if we win that (it worked when I said it about the FA Cup). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's absolutely mental that my attitude how now gone from "I just want to win the FA Cup to complete the set", to "I want to win the UEFA Cup" lol

I absolutely will retire from going if we win that (it worked when I said it about the FA Cup). 

Ditto lol 

• Like 1

Fair play to the club for getting him in and I hope this transfer window keeps gaining momentum.

Re Bertrand I'd only be happy if he takes the no1. Spot on the left side until JJ is fully integrated back into the squad and fit. Castagne hasn't been able to switch to cover left due to a lack of cover on the right either but that looks fixed with RP, so Castagna if required in certain games can switch to the left side. 

Re Thomas he's at the back of the pack as far as I'm concerned. Nothing against him at all but the squad need to focus on the here and now and then bedding in the players that have come in (will come in) on long deals. Not the time for carrying baggage but that's not to say I don't think he should be learning his trade on the training ground as part of the first team. 

Some people are clembering for Thomas as a starter almost, and that's a definite no from me. No way he's ready. If Thomas can be patient and the club beleive in him, then we should be looking at a Chilwell situation type career evolution. I think he needs 2 years with progressive subs appearances (and fill ins, cup games etc), after that we'll know.

Edited by UHDrive
Typo

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Would love another FA Cup final just so that I can go next time. That said, ManC will no doubt mop up all major domestic trophies next season but are unlikely to play in the Europa League. A European trophy will look superb on our honours board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Who starts the first match of the season?  Ryan or Luke???

Good question that. I could see it being Bertrand's experience to deal with Neto / Traore from Wolves, Traore in particular can bully Thomas as he hasn't fully developed physically yet. 

In general I think if we want to attack we play Thomas, if we expect to be under pressure, we go with Thomas. Unless we are against someone super rapid like Sancho, in which case we might go for Thomas and his pace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Who starts the first match of the season?  Ryan or Luke???

I love Luke and want to see him develop but how costly was his naive mistake in the Chelsea game? We won’t get that from Bertrand. Points on the board trumps development, but the latter needs to happen too. 

• Thanks 1