Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Southampton fans didn't want him to leave... 

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/58157-ryan-bertrand-official-leaving-in-summer/

2 things on this:

1.)  They appear to be using the same forum template as on here (which we all know is the best looking forum in the PL).  I think that's the first club I've seen doing so, good for them.

2.) Remember how Southampton have always been one of the teams we looked up to as one of the golden examples to follow for making it as an 'other 14' club in the Premier League?  Especially their recruitment?

Ricardo Pereira, Timothy Castagne, James Justin, Ryan Bertrand.

Proper cover and quality in the full back positions.

Leicester are the best team for recruitment in the PL IMO. No real talk, just effective action at sensible prices, usually with huge sell on potential.

How the turntables :D 

A solid, reliable, and cost-effective acquisition by the club. Ryan Bertrand is someone who will come in and could do a job, in addition to providing us with cover as a left-back. Once again, brilliant from the recruitment team!

8 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

2 things on this:

1.)  They appear to be using the same forum template as on here (which we all know is the best looking forum in the PL).  I think that's the first club I've seen doing so, good for them.

2.) Remember how Southampton have always been one of the teams we looked up to as one of the golden examples to follow for making it as an 'other 14' club in the Premier League?  Especially their recruitment?

How the turntables :D 

I can remember a time when our full back options were Simpson/Amartey/Albrightonifweweredesperate and Fuchs/Chilwell and that was it.

Now we have Ricardo/Castagne/Justin/Daley-Campbell or Ricardo/Castagne/Justin/Thomas/Bertrand.

Mental

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot

I really like this signing. Low risk and I think hes a great full back for luke to learn from.

I don't get this 'Fuchs replacement' logic as if every squad needs an ageing left back.  Fuchs doesn't need replacing,  Bertrand comes in because of injuries.

Bertrand has been a really good player but those days are gone.  I Can't really get excited about squad cover. 

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't get this 'Fuchs replacement' logic as if every squad needs an ageing left back.  Fuchs doesn't need replacing,  Bertrand comes in because of injuries.

Bertrand has been a really good player but those days are gone.  I Can't really get excited about squad cover. 

We need another left footed LB, Bertrand is the best cost effect option.

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

Its not just cover, its someone Luke can learn from, and someone we can use to take Luke out of the firing line if he is in a bit of bad form. This signing says we believe in Luke 100% as we haven't brought in someone who expects to be a constant starter 

• Like 3

Guest Chocolate Teapot
6 minutes ago, murphy said:

Honestly I thought luke was brilliant last year but he's needs some help and he still hasn't nailed back left back as part of a back 4. Bertrand is going to be a massive help and he cost nothing. He also probably frees up spend to spend on more important areas. Like right wing.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Its not just cover, its someone Luke can learn from, and someone we can use to take Luke out of the firing line if he is in a bit of bad form. This signing says we believe in Luke 100% as we haven't brought in someone who expects to be a constant starter 

Yes, good points, it's just a signing that doesn't excite me much and wouldn't happen but for injuries to Castagne and Justin imo.  I can see that it's necessary and doesn't eat into the transfer budget.  I'm a bit wary of just how much he has declined though.

Just now, murphy said:

Yes, good points, it's just a signing that doesn't excite me much and wouldn't happen but for injuries to Castagne and Justin imo.  I can see that it's necessary and doesn't eat into the transfer budget.  I'm a bit wary of just how much he has declined though.

Agree its quite a boring signing, but thats probably because we have just seen Gosens destroying all before him (Until he didn`t...) and we were linked, but sensible head on, this is a steady, sensible, proven signing he won`t expect to be automatic first choice. Do see he may have declined, but would imagine he is not as far gone as dear Mr Fox  :wub:

Encouraged as it does not block Luke mainly, which Gosens or Tagliafico would have.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, murphy said:

No one is asking you to get excited about it. 

But maybe just appreciate the club are getting a decent level of player in, and this is emphasised by 1) it being on a free and 2) the level of injuries we suffered last season makes it a good acquisition. 

We needed a lot of cover last season and now we're just safeguarding against that scenario happening by buying someone who knows the league and probably understands he won't play every single game but when he will play, he will do a decent job. 

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
4 minutes ago, murphy said:

I've spoken to Southampton fans who were gutted to lose him. They didn't seem to think he'd declined.

36 minutes ago, J.Lisemore said:

Wonder if he still feels Reading are a bigger and better club 

To be fair I can’t actually see him ever say they’re bigger, he just said at the time they were better and he was probably in his rights to say that...

He said: “Leicester is a big club if you go back through the history books.

“But at this moment in time the league positions are irrelevant. Reading is a better football club than Leicester.

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I've spoken to Southampton fans who were gutted to lose him. They didn't seem to think he'd declined.

I was reading Saintsweb last night.  The general feeling there was that he had been a great player and perhaps England's best left back some years ago but there were multiple posts saying that he was in decline.  Not surprising as he is well past his prime.  There also seems to be a bit of friction between him and Hassenhutl according to Saints fans which may be one of the reasons he is on his way?

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

No one is asking you to get excited about it. 

But maybe just appreciate the club are getting a decent level of player in, and this is emphasised by 1) it being on a free and 2) the level of injuries we suffered last season makes it a good acquisition. 

We needed a lot of cover last season and now we're just safeguarding against that scenario happening by buying someone who knows the league and probably understands he won't play every single game but when he will play, he will do a decent job. 

I didn't realise that I needed permission.

I only mention it as there does seem to be some excitement in this thread but that's fine too.

25 minutes ago, murphy said:

I only mention it as there does seem to be some excitement in this thread but that's fine too.

Oh yeah always ask permission mate. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, murphy said:

Fair enough it's not as exciting as the Daka move, but it's pretty cool that we can attract a player of Bertrand's calibre to be a rotation option.  To your point that it's just a needless Fuchs replacement:  Fuchs absolutely needed to be replaced in terms of squad depth with us playing so many games and looking at how often injuries crop up.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Up to Luke Thomas to displace him or up to Bertrand to displace Thomas? Both should probably have the mentality of proving their worthy of their place but I don't agree that Bertrand waltzes in here above Thomas based on last season.

Either or, I’m still not 100% Rodgers trusts Thomas, personally I think he is already a great  left back and will get better with more game time, the club will have paid out a lot in wages and incentives for Bertrand and I don’t think he chose us just to sit on the bench like Fuchs has for the last couple of seasons… 

1 hour ago, SydenhamFox said:

I love Luke and want to see him develop but how costly was his naive mistake in the Chelsea game? We won’t get that from Bertrand. Points on the board trumps development, but the latter needs to happen too. 

Bertrand cost Southampton their 9-0 defeat against us... And it was Perez that pantsed him for his red, not some high quality pacy player. He's not some elite no-nonsense defender, although he is probably better than Thomas defensively.